• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sutton Park

Second visit to Sutton park this week. Went in the Banners gate entrance today and there were cows all over the place including the little car park. We drove through Town gate the other day and visited the donkeys. A couple of photo's. Jean.

We were there on Tuesday, went in at Boldmere Gate, saw the cows and surrounding area and then back out through Boldmere. Wish we could still drive all the way round it like we used to when I lived in Boldmere, Four Oaks and Reddicap areas of Sutton.

Brenda I used to go to work through Banners gate and all the way to Wyndley gate and loved to watch the rabbits on the way. It is a shame. I think they ought to put a speed limit on the cyclists as some of them ride like maniacs and I don't refer to youngsters either. What with dogs off leads, cows and these speeders it puts you off sometimes. I do love the place though.

We were there on Tuesday, went in at Boldmere Gate, saw the cows and surrounding area and then back out through Boldmere. Wish we could still drive all the way round it like we used to when I lived in Boldmere, Four Oaks and Reddicap areas of Sutton.

Brenda if they revert to allow driving through the park, the Park would be ruined in no time at all Dave

I went to the park today with my son daughter in law children and dog. We went to the main gate in Sutton and walked up to Blackroot and round it phew took me back a bit. It was very busy but I am glad to say mainly families. The kids park was buzzing. They charge now on Sundays £1.50 a car I suppose to put off the boy racers. It was absolutely fine we met some lovely like minded people and there was no problem. A police van drove through I think just to make it's presence known. They seem to be ontop of things it was lovely to see the children paddling like we used to....I say well done to all who have made it better and safer for families of all ages...

Glad you enjoyed it Wendy. I do think they should stop these chaps on their racing bikes from speeding as they go so fast you don't hear them coming and in parts of the park you have to use the roads like the other day the cows were all over the tracks we usually walk along. One of our neighbors Peter Hillcox was the head ranger and he was glad when they prevented cars driving all over the park. He said it would make it a safer place. It was a day out for us and we took a picnic and I used to think I was on my holliday?. A few happy family photo's. Jean.

Last edited:
We have some very nice walks in TO but same as you seemingly...fast silent bikes and when approaching from behind they are a hazard. Especially so if hearing is not what it used to be. This is a major concern for walking seniors and serious injury can occur. I walk Rupi on these paved walking paths and although he has become a fairly decent walking dog when on a leish, he does take side trips on occasion and the menace from behind can catch him out. A bicycle bell is a requirement here by law but few abide by it and one wonders if the police ever issue a fine. Inline skaters are just as bad and maybe they should carry a sound device to warn walkers when approaching from behind. High speed cyclists have to realise that plenty of warning is required for someone walking to take the necessary precautions. Having a dog along makes it more difficult. I am not saying stop it but merely to have a little consideration for others.

Sorry Jean I had to appolgise to an elderly couple for my brothers cycling a couple of weeks ago, ( Sunday ) we past a bit too close for comfort. Wasn't you was it. XXXX
Brenda I used to go to work through Banners gate and all the way to Wyndley gate and loved to watch the rabbits on the way. It is a shame. I think they ought to put a speed limit on the cyclists as some of them ride like maniacs and I don't refer to youngsters either. What with dogs off leads, cows and these speeders it puts you off sometimes. I do love the place though.

September 2011
23rdSeptember2011Friday037.jpg

23rdSeptember2011Friday038.jpg

23rdSeptember2011Friday040.jpg

Photo's of 'Children of the Poor' in Sutton Park c.1898 during a summer outing provided for them by the Birmingham Cinderella Club, and they seem happy with their day out. On the boxes the two lads in the lower left photo are carrying it says 'Non political Non Sectarian'.

Sitting on a bench by a large tree - one lucky lad has shoes.
children_sutton_park_1.jpg

Collecting boxes ? ____________________________________Something to eat
children_sutton_park_2.jpg

nn.jpeg
I know I have posted this picture before but I can not locate it to replace the photo.
Curling on Wyndley pool in February 1895.

mmm.jpeg
I assume Blackroot Glade is in or near Sutton Park, this photo it children gathering sticks in the glade.

nn.jpeg
If this is too small to read I will try dividing it and making each piece larger.

Thanks for looking Anne, I posted several pictures about Sutton but I cant find the threads to replace those images.

Great pictures Stitcher the map is wonderful.

I went to the jamboree in Sutton Park but I don't remember much as I was only 4.

Here is a photo my brothers took of an Iranian scout they befriended at the Jamboree.

I am going to watch my grandson in the gang show tomorrow...one proud granny!

Scout_Jamboree_Sutton_Park~0.jpg

I posted a couple of pics looking away from Old Maney but I can't find their original place either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wendy I am sorry I was a bit short then but the wife was calling me, I am sure I have a picture of the jamboree somewhere. I will post it if I come across it.

Hi Wendy: Don't forget to sing along to "Were Riding Along On the Crest of a Wave" when you go to the Gang Show. So glad to hear that your grandson is a Boy Scout.
I worked for British Rail and went to the Jamboree in 1957 in Sutton Park. So many memories. This Jamboree was very special and Rover Scouts who are older attended from all over the world as well as the younger scouts. I will post a photo of myself taken with some Rover Scouts from the Faroe Islands. I met an American Rover Scout and we corresponded for over a year. He is still involved in Scouting all these years later.

Trevor I think David Weaver may have the answers for you. On one visit to the park he guided us to the tree he had carved something on. Have visited the park three times in the last week and the next visit will be to the Bistro and hope to catch a photo of the Heron by the lake?.

oldMowhawk, I am sorry I did not know you had already posted that one. I first posted it quite some ago but I can't find that one. I like youe ice hockey pictures.
Jean, enjoy yourself.

Back