• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

Hello Pedrocut now I feel really old. In 1938 I was still living in Aston but seven years after that photo was taken I had my first slide down into the pool proper and swam out to the pontoon. Thanks, David.

We passed Keepers pool entrance the other day David and when the weather improves we will be going there with the dog. Jean.

Don't fall in Jean, they'll need a pick axe to break the ice even in mid-summer. I never could work out why it was always freezing cold, but maybe it had a direct link to the NNNNNorth PPPPPole. They reckon even the fish had wooly jumpers and the swans had hot water bottles on their feet. Regards, David.

img573.jpgView attachment 64385
I know this is not strictly Sutton Park so I am hoping it will be o/k on this thread.
A view of Sutton Coldfield looking from Old Maney. 1840

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I found this Sutton Park entrance ticket this morning amongst my memorabilia,
I must have bought that one around 1950, the ticket date shows May 8th.

Thanks for that Trevor brings back memories of when I worked at Wyndley and fed the birds every lunch time. Jean.

Hey Stitcher that's a great picture, I used to do the light fantastic at Maney Hall just opposite the Odeon on the Birmingham Road. Wonderful dancing and much practise for the gift of the gap.Regards, David.

Hey Stitcher that's a great picture, I used to do the light fantastic at Maney Hall just opposite the Odeon on the Birmingham Road. Wonderful dancing and much practise for the gift of the gap.Regards, David.
That was Maney Church Hall,next to St Peters, Maney where I was a choirboy. The Beatles played there. There was a gang of thugs from Kingstanding called The Broadies who caused a fair bit of troublein Sutton, they were disrupting a dance there when the police were called. One of them said to the policeman with the dog "you wouldn't be so tough without the dog", so the copper took the dog outside and tied it to a post and had just got back in the hall when the dog came in towing the post. There was no more trouble that night!

Lovely photo's Trevor. We are going to visit the donkey sanctuary next week. Were going today but Pete still felt a bit groggy. lovely afternoon for it. Jean.

Hi am i right in thinking that Welshmans Hill on the Chester road north was a staging post back in the day ..?

Ragga during the week it is the same but weekends you get youths playing very loud music and walking round with their designer dogs. It is very intimidating by the town gate.

Can anyone suggest a nice place in the park to have a picnic hopefully where there are not too many cow pats! I put my foot in one the last time we went!!

Bit of a sore point at the moment. Visited Sutton park the day before yesterday and parked by the Bistro. We took our dog a walk across the field when a Doberman/Alsation cross came bounding at us and almost knocked me over. He just banged into my dodgy knee. I asked the geek if he would mind putting his dog on a lead but he didn't have one. The dog kept on jumping up and I thought Pete was going to plant one on the bloke. Not even a sorry off him. He called his dog several times {Scoobie} but it took no notice. I cannot put on here what Pete said to him but I guess you can use your imaginations?. We then walked to the lake where a heron came and landed by us and guess what!!!?. I didn't have my camera with me. Well after all that I would suggest the field next to the Bistro Wendy. No cow pats or dog poo. We will go in that gate again when we come back from the van. Jean. PS. It is a good job that dog wasn't around a minute or two earlier as there was a very old lady and he would have knocked her flying. Moaning over. Jean. Forgot to say this is David Weavers favourite part of the park.

Back