• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

Cromwell, your first Photo is at the WYNDLEY GATE, you can see the sluice, that is still there today. Wyndley pool can be seen in the back ground.
ASTON

Anyone heard any news of where the dismantled Roller Coaster is these days or has it been destroyed? Great photos of the Crystal Palace Fairground. It was very popular way back.
People from all over used to come on buses or trains and walk down to the Town Gate entrance, pay the fee to get in and then walk two or three hundred yards to the Meadows
plonk themselves down en masse and have their picnics and go to the Fair. Many times the rest of the Park was fairly empty.

I wonder if the cows are still there by Town? Gate.

paddling in the stream, (near the play area) even as an adult, about 16 years, ago comes to mind

mom and me and my brother and sister getting lost in the park, when we were kids :)

1974, me and my best friend going round the park on the back of motorbikes of lads we had just met (yes, silly us :-[)

1984, walking down there, when sad, from my flat on Chester Rd, and being revived by looking at the gorse and heather.

1989, picnic with my husband there when pregnant with our first child.

1960's...Sunday school outings there.

1976, being with 'the crowd' and the lads diving into a pool to show off to us girls ;D

mazbeth, The Cow are still in the Park along with Wild Exmoor Ponys, there is now a Donkey Sanctury by Park House near the main gate.

Do you remember the stickers you had for your car such a privilege for us outsiders so we thought
3dbiggrin3.gif

Your Photo, reply 14, Cromwell looks like the road that leads down the KEEPERS POOL from of the top of the road just up from Longmoor Pool & passed the model air plane field.
Am I right?

Aston it looks very likely,
when we used it as our "Ship" it was painted white
but it certainly looks in the right situation O0

Hi Aston and Cromwell, looking through this thread I notice that you have put a picture of Powells Pool, 1900's, have either of you got an earlier picture of Powells Pool with the Old Slade Mill in the background, I have seen it on another site, and for the life of me can't remember which one, it must be a sign of getting old, the memory is going!!!
:flower: :cat:

Mrs Miller I think you mean the Old Spade Mill not Slade, just had a look it seems to have vanished so I will repost it a bit later
Just had a look were all the confusion is coming in is it was posted in The Mills at Sutton Park
Then someone started Sutton Park thread then winter in sutton park so everything is going everywhere
instead of it being posted in Sutton Park, thread has gone to pot

Thats what I thought it was called, but on another web page they called it SLADE, never trust another web page :mad:
:flower: :cat:

When I saw that photograph of Boldmere Gate and the White House posted by Aston, I was wondering if that house didn't become La Reserve Restaurant and subsequently built on to and the Sea Cadets Ship was across the road a little further up. I was there a couple of years ago and remarked on the The Ship at that place then.

jennyann, It was the old boat house along side the white house that ended up as the La RESERVE
Night Club & Restaurant. Now only a Pub & Restaurant.
See Photo posted.The Steam Boat "Foam" was first used in 1892 & can be seen loading at the long gone jetty.
For loisand, the info with this Photo states POWELLS POOL with the OLD SLADE MILL in the BACKGROUND

Thanks for this Aston. Memory plays tricks doesn't it. I didn't know that it was the
old boathouse that became La Reserve. Is the white house still there? Great photo
Aston. You have so many wonderful historical photos.

Back