• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Coldfield

I'd like to put a date on the booklet I have about the town of Sutton Coldfield. When it was printed there about 24,000 people living there. It mentions:
Bishop Veseys Grammar school,
Burcot Grange High school for girls, Four Oaks, with Mrs Preston as principal,
Iona school for girls
St Nicholas' school,
Anstey physical training college, Erdington
Ads for:
Royal Town Ale, Wine & Spirit Stores, 2 Station St (E L Buxton)
H Chambers & Co, authorised Ford dealers at the Parade.
Rose's Fruit Stores, 22 Parade
P Cassidy, painter, plumber... Parade

thks, Glennys

The site of the bowling ally and the house next door were turned into a small housing estate. I recall it may have been Council Housing for older people.

Re: Sutton Coldfield - Gracechurch Centre

This picture appeared in the Sutton Coldfield News in December 1971. It is where Gracechurch Centre now stands. I was particularly interested in this project as I worked in Manor Road and went to many meetings reference the redevelopment. Loved the old shops though. Sorry about the quality of the picture. The newspaper has gone a bit brown round the edges!

Gracechurch.jpg

Katie - this is where my Dad used to park the car, then we'd walk up onto the Parade. A long vanished part of my childhood.

Has anyone a photo of the old house named Falcon Lodge which was demolished to way way for the council houses at Falcon Lodge, Sutton Coldfield please?

I'd like to put a date on the booklet I have about the town of Sutton Coldfield. When it was printed there about 24,000 people living there. It mentions:
Bishop Veseys Grammar school,
Burcot Grange High school for girls, Four Oaks, with Mrs Preston as principal,
Iona school for girls
St Nicholas' school,
Anstey physical training college, Erdington
Ads for:
Royal Town Ale, Wine & Spirit Stores, 2 Station St (E L Buxton)
H Chambers & Co, authorised Ford dealers at the Parade.
Rose's Fruit Stores, 22 Parade
P Cassidy, painter, plumber... Parade

thks, Glennys

That is difficult, BV has been there for hundreds of years, Sutton has its own MP since 1945 and would not have had one on a population of only 24000. George Rose had a green grocers in the 50's and 60's. He wasn't old enough to have been there pre war. Iona school was there in the 20's but I think had gone by the 60's at the latest. Buxtons was there in the 50's as was Chambers. I would guess the population figures are wrong and we are talking 50s or early 60's.

The photo sadly shows the damage repairs to the platform caused by the train crash in January 1955.
Comparing it with this picture (post 29) it seems they did a good and quick repair job.

How did Sutton Coldfield get its royal status?

Image result for was sutton coldfield staaffs

In 1528, a charter of King Henry VIII gave the town the right to be known for ever as "The Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield" and to be governed by a warden and society. The charter was secured by Bishop John Vesey. This unreformed corporation survived until 1885, when it was replaced by a municipal borough.

FED2C745-8783-495C-BD89-745D436AE0FD.jpeg

From Historic England Blog.

Sainsbury's Centre, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, West Midlands. The retailer, along with its rivals, built many supermarkets within town centres. Tesco, for example, was fast expanding, opening a store every ten days
1965-1966. Image © The Sainsbury Archive

View attachment 179140

Sainsbury's Centre, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, West Midlands. The retailer, along with its rivals, built many supermarkets within town centres. Tesco, for example, was fast expanding, opening a store every ten days
I don't remember that being built in the mid 60s

I think it may be a bit misleading. The caption under the picture could refer to Sainsbury opening a store every ten days during 1965/6. Will check if any further info.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
View attachment 179140

I think they were building it 1973-1974
Excellent photos here

Back