• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Coldfield to Stirling Motorail Car Sleeper

The Motor Rail went from Sutton Coldfield, using the original terminus platform there. Later the Motor Rail service ran from Birmingham International with the cars loading on platform 1 there.

Thanks everyone. Came across this thread while bored with mild covid.
I used to live near Butlers Lane Halt and took the DMU to Sutton n schooldays.
Imagine my shock when getting off the train I saw an immaculate clan pacific 72005 in the bay platform with the Sleeper stock. I was late for school!! A week or so later 72009 appeared. There was another Clan but I can't remember if was 06,07 or 08
Later that month one of the very few named Stanier 5MTs appeared.
Happy memories.

IM used to see the stirling pass through erdington most times and it was normally 70047 or 70048, i used to spend lots of time at aston shed and the brit that was there most of the time was 70046 ANZAC I did take pictures but someone at the abbey school pinched my little camera, i would love to see any pictures of anzac, im also trying to locate any cine film of aston and erdington sheds too as saltley was another place i used to visit a lot of times, my friend tommy murphys dad was station master at new street station too.
Not quite Birmingham but have a photo of Anzac at Lichfield Low Level in Nov 63 hauling a fitted freight southwards.
If you would like I will forward when I find how this site works!!

Back