• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Coldfield Library Saturday 4 October 2014 "BIRMINGHAM PALS" 1914

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
On Saturday 4 October, 2014 (for one day only), myself and my mate, Dave Vaux, will be putting on a display about the 1st and 2nd Birmingham Battalions (14th & 15th Royal Warwickshires) training period in Sutton Park.

100 years ago on Monday morning, 5 October 1914, two special trains pulled out of New Street Station. There destination was Sutton Coldfield and on the two trains were 1000 Birmingham non-manual workers who had been recruited into the 1st Birmingham Battalion.

The display is mainly pictures showing the various stages of their training until the two battalions left Sutton to continue their training in Wensleydale, Yorkshire, on 26 June 1915.

If you fancy it, pop along have a look and say hello

Cheers

Terry

Hi Tony

all day. We can only set the display up after library opens at 9 am. So probably up and running by 10 am

Terry

Hello Terry

Are you planning do something similar this year? I would be keen to join you and Dave and add to your display with a few of my own items?

Steve r

Hello Steve

This coming Saturday 8 August 2015 there is a WW1 Family Day at the Royal Warwickshire Museum. It runs from 11 am to 3:30 pm. Dave Vaux has a one table display concerning the Volunteer Training Corps from Birmingham. I will be there with him. If you get chance pop over. There will be WW1 re-enactors there also.

I would imagine we will be doing other things next year for the 100 anniversary of the Somme. I know for a fact we will be doing an event at the Oratory on Hagley Road.

Terry

Hello Terry
Thank you for the reply, I am afraid I am working, so not able to pop over. Please keep me in mind for other events though and good for a catch up.
Regards
Steve R

Back