• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Superstitions

We had a "crying boy" picture and I threw it away ...just in case!! My Nan was so superstitious, I don't really believe things bring bad luck but I can remember her sayings especially when I took the Christmas decorations down, she said it was unlucky to forget anything.
rosie.

We had a "crying boy" picture and I threw it away ...just in case!! My Nan was so superstitious, I don't really believe things bring bad luck but I can remember her sayings especially when I took the Christmas decorations down, she said it was unlucky to forget anything.
rosie.
i am very superstitious now i did not used to be:grinning:

I always greet a single magpie.
As a nipper I always held my collar if I saw an ambulance and recited "touch my collar,never swalla (swallow) hope I never go in one of those". Then only let my collar go when I saw a four legged animal.
The world has not ended so it must work. :) :);)

NoddKD, the very superstitious.

Last edited:
Not treading on the cracks in the pavement was favourite with me.

There was a says that went something like “tread on a nick, you grow up thick and marry a brick”

Many of the things spoken of already were superstitions of my Mom. She also told us not to walk under ladders as it brought bad luck. So what did Neville do ??? Naughty boy !! Find as many ladders as I could to walk under, even when there was guy working up above [ much to their disgust ]

Back