• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sunset.

My post #20 shows that I know which way up my iPad is .... :encouragement:
Put the problem into Google and it shows others have problems with the Apple lot blaming the Microsoft lot and vice versa .....
I tried an upload into Coppermine of an image taken with my iPad held upside down and although it left me right way up, Coppermine showed it up side down, but Coppermine has an 'image rotate' feature which comes in useful ....:rolleyes:

Sent from my iPad right way up.

Last edited:
To oldMohawk. I've to-day posted a painting/photo ( IPad style ).
Bearing in mind the problems I've encountered with a mixture of up-side " thumbnails " etc, etc. I tried this latest photo
post to the Forum by bringing up the original painting/photo from my IPad and then re-photoing this image from the pad by tapping simultaneously onto the two buttons for a normal IPad ' screen ' photo. So now I've got a photo of a photo.
I then posted this second photo onto the Forum. Seems to have worked OK.
See " IZ NO PROBLEM. I DRIVE YOU GOOD. " on the " Original Artwork" section.
You've kindly helped me before so do you think this might work also ?

Hello Roy - I had noticed your photo and also that it was right-way-up. I think the method you have used is called a 'screenshot' and I used this method to put the pics in the thread 'Posting Photos From iPad'. It might be a good method but only time will tell. I had never come across the problem until I had seen it in your original photo uploads.
oldmohawk

Hello Roy - Just to finalise my comments on upside-down pics from iPads, some tests I have tried seem to confirm your previously mentioned 'screenshot fix'. I was going to post some pics to show this but in order to save space I decided not to.

An interesting quote from the web ... it's a much discussed subject !
Since a 'battery saving' move after IOS5 update, it appears that an Apple iPad fails to encode the images in the correct orientation. Instead of using the devices's orientation sensor to simply build the image correctly, Apple renders the image upside-down and then sets a flag on it to say it's upside-down. So every other software vendor in the world is supposed to add support for this flag and flip images around. There's no excuse for it. Apple knows which way the device is turned, so the pixels in the upper-left corner of the image should correspond to those in the upper-left corner of the phone's screen... at all times. This would ensure correct display on everybody's device, regardless of brand. Apple simply need to fix it.

Maybe we should have bought Nexus tablets !

Last edited:
SUNSET painting ( in ORIGINAL ARTWORK ).
The Sunset ' thread ' might be less complicated regarding trying to view the painting if viewers go to Post ( # 24 ).
( Thanks to oldMohawk ).

Back