• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sunset.

Since I no longer have the original painting I am unable to take another IPad photo. So using the original IPad photo I try again to post it on this thread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 14
Just a thought Roy - Before you upload it you could get the existing photo on screen in your iPad and with 'edit' top right corner you could rotate it 180 degrees. Oh, I see you have uploaded before I could get this post on !
The reason I suggested this was because even though it would look up-side-down in your iPad, the forum would rotate it and show it right-way-up.

This previous posting is identical to the original ( No 1 post ).

BUT.
As experimented with and tried out by ' oldMohawk ' it appears that IPad viewers interested will need to ' tap ' on to the
upside down thumbnail picture to expose the full screen picture ( the right way up ).
For Laptop users the larger screen picture might be seen ' upside down ' but a few ' clicks ' might provide the picture rotation required .
Worth a try ?

Hello Roy,
Hope you don't mind, I have used the forum image host to display your photo ... This is the original size photo that was in post one.
For a little girl that wanted her own painting " of a horse ".
A concocted painting by Roy Blakey. 2013.
SunsetPic.jpg

Evening moHawk. I did a little experiment only yesterday . I ' rotated ' the photo stored in my IPad (180 degrees). Was tempted to copy this and send it to-day but I wasn't too sure what the out come might have been so as you see I've posted the ' original ' IPad photo. See what happens now. I do appreciate your advice. I thank you for your time.

ah thats better I was turning my head to lokk at it, I read the technical help you were getting but I am no good with technology, you are a clever bunch, well done

ah thats better I was turning my head to lokk at it, I read the technical help you were getting but I am no good with technology, you are a clever bunch, well done
Strange things these computers and tablets.
If a digital camera is held up-side-down and you take a photo, the camera will know that you are taking an up-side-down pic.
If an iPad is held up-side-down to take a photo, the iPad screen helpfully shows the image right-way-up, and the image always looks right-way-up in an iPad. BUT the image is really up-side-down !
If the image is then shown on a Windows computer the image will appear up-side-down because that is how it really is, even if an iPad shows it right way up. The problem is, because an iPad always always shows it right-way-up you can't tell if it is up-side-down !

After posting in this thread I started to wonder if I was the right-way-up .... oldmohawk ...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Being the plank that I am I have just taken a picture holding the camera upside down, it just happily took the picture, and I've just looked at it again and my camera didn't let me know - its just upside down - thats why it and me get on - built like a brick, out of date, slow and batteries run down too quickly

Just tried taking 'upside down' photos with my Phone and my Tablet. Each run on Android. Photos sent to my computer and viewed in PSP14 and in the MS Photo viewer. They show correct way up in each. Might try uploading one to the test area when I have something other than my legs and the TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
My post #20 shows that I know which way up my iPad is .... :encouragement:
Put the problem into Google and it shows others have problems with the Apple lot blaming the Microsoft lot and vice versa .....
I tried an upload into Coppermine of an image taken with my iPad held upside down and although it left me right way up, Coppermine showed it up side down, but Coppermine has an 'image rotate' feature which comes in useful ....:rolleyes:

Sent from my iPad right way up.

Last edited:
To oldMohawk. I've to-day posted a painting/photo ( IPad style ).
Bearing in mind the problems I've encountered with a mixture of up-side " thumbnails " etc, etc. I tried this latest photo
post to the Forum by bringing up the original painting/photo from my IPad and then re-photoing this image from the pad by tapping simultaneously onto the two buttons for a normal IPad ' screen ' photo. So now I've got a photo of a photo.
I then posted this second photo onto the Forum. Seems to have worked OK.
See " IZ NO PROBLEM. I DRIVE YOU GOOD. " on the " Original Artwork" section.
You've kindly helped me before so do you think this might work also ?

Hello Roy - I had noticed your photo and also that it was right-way-up. I think the method you have used is called a 'screenshot' and I used this method to put the pics in the thread 'Posting Photos From iPad'. It might be a good method but only time will tell. I had never come across the problem until I had seen it in your original photo uploads.
oldmohawk

Hello Roy - Just to finalise my comments on upside-down pics from iPads, some tests I have tried seem to confirm your previously mentioned 'screenshot fix'. I was going to post some pics to show this but in order to save space I decided not to.

An interesting quote from the web ... it's a much discussed subject !
Since a 'battery saving' move after IOS5 update, it appears that an Apple iPad fails to encode the images in the correct orientation. Instead of using the devices's orientation sensor to simply build the image correctly, Apple renders the image upside-down and then sets a flag on it to say it's upside-down. So every other software vendor in the world is supposed to add support for this flag and flip images around. There's no excuse for it. Apple knows which way the device is turned, so the pixels in the upper-left corner of the image should correspond to those in the upper-left corner of the phone's screen... at all times. This would ensure correct display on everybody's device, regardless of brand. Apple simply need to fix it.

Maybe we should have bought Nexus tablets !

Last edited:
SUNSET painting ( in ORIGINAL ARTWORK ).
The Sunset ' thread ' might be less complicated regarding trying to view the painting if viewers go to Post ( # 24 ).
( Thanks to oldMohawk ).

Back