• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sunset.

Roy Blakey

master brummie
image.jpgFor a little girl that wanted her own painting " of a horse ".
A concocted painting by Roy Blakey. 2013.

TO VIEW PAINTING. TAP on top image link.

Attachments

• horse.jpg
    horse.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I assume she is Australian?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Using my iPad I see the thumbnail is upside down but when I touch (click) on it the large image appears right-way-up - aren't iPads clever !

When I look at it with my Windows 7 laptop I see the thumbnail upside down but when I click on it the first large image stays upside down, but when I then click on the first large image again, a full screen image right way up appears - Windows gets there in the end !

Nice painting Roy and particularly your holiday break painting in the other thread.

oldmohawk

Dear BernardR. I'm trying to figure out if and where I might be doing something wrong. Doing a ' handstand ' to view won't be popular.
Best Wishes.

Hello Roy,
How did you produce the photos of the paintings ? Did you photograph them using the iPad camera ?
Have you got your iPad screen lock on ?
oldmohawk

Hello oldMohawk. Yes I photoed them using the IPad camera. Yes it looks like I've got the IPad lock on. I'm saying this because I've just looked at " lock on " via " Settings " and then " General " and there it seems to tell me that " lock on " is Set.

Hello Roy,
If you are using the iPad to take photos
For Landscape photos always have the 'home' button on the right, this ensures that the iPad lens is on the top.
For Portrait photos make sure the 'home' button is at the bottom, this ensures the iPad lens is on the top.
iPads know which way up they are and put some info in an 'exif' file. Windows does not always read the exif file correctly.
oldmohawk :)

Last edited:
Postcard 13101913r.JPGHi Roy,

Blakey is an unusual name so I am hoping you can throw some light on the attached postcard image sent by Sexton Blakey. This was sent to my grandfather in 1913 (Hector Keight) who later moved to 143 Park Lane, Aston (a bicycle shop). I have a feeling that they may have been in a convalescent home (Clifton, Bristol) at the same time and became friends.

Hope you can help,

John

Hi John - A very nice photo. I have taken the liberty of reading the writing on the postcard and it seems to be signed by 'Detective Sexton Blakey'. Sexton Blake was a fictional detective and first appeared in story papers in 1893. I remember as a child having comics with Sexton Blake's adventures. Maybe the sender of the postcard was having a bit of fun.
I could be wrong.
Regards
oldmohawk

Sunset painting. Is anyone else having a problem bringing up the painting from the " Attached Imagies " ?
Hello Roy - I cannot see the large pic when I click on the thumbnail which appears to have lost it's link to the large pic.

To oldMohawk. Sunset painting problem ( loss of full size painting image ). I wonder if it is possible that the ' edited ' exercise might have something to do with it. It seemed to operate OK previously.

Hello Roy - Yes the editing has caused the problem. The image is now just a small thumbnail image without the link to your previous large image. Maybe you need to send a private message to admin.

To oldMohawk. I will try contacting ' admin '. I believe that the presentation as it stands is not suitable for the Forum and can only confuse any ' viewers '. Thank you again.

It looks like the problem is because it's reduced too much, does the image by brummy-lad open ok.
The "horse" image is 6.8 KB and the "card" image, by comparison is 542.3 KB, it's possible iPad does this automatically, try taking photo again and re-posting.

Colin

Last edited:
The original image (before editing) posted by Roy was about 500Kb which is normal for a photo taken by an iPad. Roy's original image was full size but appeared upside down on Windows computers for reasons explained in post #7. An iPad appears to contain a 'spirit level' and 'compass' inside and if 'location services' is switched on it also knows where you took the photo.

So if you want to photograph a painting with an iPad, the painting has to be fixed to a wall and the iPad held vertical positioned as mentioned in post#7. If the painting was put on a horizontal surface (window sill) the iPad will take a brilliant photo which will always display correctly on iPads and iPhones and Linux but might show upside down on Windows computers. It's an Apple versus Microsoft thing !

I did test this in a forum test area but have since deleted the pic I took.

If Roy wanted to put a correct size image back into post #1 he could take a new photo with his iPad positioned as previously mentioned and use the forum's edit procedure to upload it back into post #1 and then delete the small image.

Sunset painting ( Post No 1 ). Apologies to one and all. Cannot correct the failure of the ' posted photo '

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 27
Hello Roy - I see the thumbnail in post #19 upside down but a touch on it immediately shows the enlarged pic right way up using my iPad. My Windows laptop shows even the enlarged pic upside down unless I click on it several times. As an experiment I stuck a piece of paper on a kitchen cupboard door and using my iPad took two photos.
This first photo was taken with the 'home' button on the right ref post #7. The pic is right way up.
photo_1.JPG
This second photo was taken with the 'home' button on the left ref post #7. The pic is upside down.
photo_2.JPG
If an iPad is used to take a photo lying on a flat surface the level detector in the iPad acts like a bubble in a spirit level and might be vertical or horizontal. It may therefore cause the forum to display the thumbnail upside down as in your post. Most people use Windows, so if using an iPad to take a pic it must be held vertical to display correctly on this forum.

Last edited:
Back