• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sun Street

Sorry, just realised there are at least three Sun Street threads, could a kind moderator please combine them.
I’ve found one other thread John and that’s now merged, still searching for the others. Search doesn’t pick it up because it’s a short word. Viv.

I’ve found one other thread John and that’s now merged, still searching for the others. Search doesn’t pick it up because it’s a short word. Viv.
Hi Viv, there was Sun St, Sun Street, and one which named something like sun St images etc. This last one was there this morning but has now disappeared so perhaps it has been combined by another moderator.

this one under the maps section viv...not sure if it should stay there though

My family lived at 1/42 Sun St, the Day family i’m the oldest of 4 (Linda) born 1949, the posts on here bring back so many memories, we had the Holmes family to the right of us and the Hinsleys on the left, the other side of the entry. Susan Brinkworth was one of my best friends and I went on holiday with her & her Mom & Dad. They were the more well off family, running their own Grocery Shop. Ronnie Hinsley was kind of a boyfriend, all very innocent I might add, he often played Cliff Richards ‘Living Doll’ at full blast so the whole yard could hear! I hated the block of loo’s at end bottom of the yard, and having to walk to empty the overnight potty! Yuk! There was a wood yard the other side of the loo’s where the bundles of firewood were made up, you could hear the noise coming from there most of the time. I remember the Scottish family the McCallums, I think, there were about 8 children, and an Irish family next door, the wife was often chucking her husbands clothes out the bedroom window! The kids played over the road on what was called the Bomb Building site. I can’t remember the name of the Junior School, i’ve got St Luke’s in my head, St Thomas’s was the Senior School before we transferred to the new Lea Mason School. We could clearly see the side of the cinema on the Bristol Rd from our attic window, so we knew what was showing, not that went went very often, it may be there that we went to the Saturday morning showings. I have so many memories living there, it’s great to read all the stuff that evokes those memories. Linda.
Hey Linda,

Morris here, and thanks for the post! I remember the Holmes' and my best friend Christopher had an older sister who always played Johnny Ray - remember him? His claim to fame was he could burst into tears in the middle of singing. Young girls loved it but my dad thought it was so funny he cracked up every time he heard him. We could also see the Bristol Cinema from our bedroom window - went to the Saturday matinee too! Pure escapism! The outside toilets were really grim. It was years before I realized newspaper was for reading rather than...well, you know. In the picture by Phil above, you can just see the entry to our yard (court 13) on the exreme right. Our house was 1 backka 48. I have some old photos which I will scan and post soon. I guess we turned out just fine in spite of everything. Do you still live in Brum? I ended up in California. Morris

Hi all
My dad was born at no.49 Sun St.in 1917.His name was Michael Kilmartin and his mother was Esther Kilmartin , also looking for any information concerning an Edwin Alfred Cope, I know it's a long shot but would appreciate any information
Thanks!

Hi, my dad was born (along with his siblings) in Sun Street and his auntie had a shop on it too. Does anyone know where it was in relation to what’s there now? Thank you

My Mothers family were from Wednesfield and Tipton and both families went to The Wirral ( they didnt know each other) But I suppose they were drawn to each other being from same place and anyway 2 got married and had 3 children. The Dad died in 1930 and it seems that then my Nan moved back to the Midlands with the children but ended up in SUN St. No idea of the house or dates but they then ended up in Green Acres Road Kings Norton in private rented semi......New houses but not sure when they were built but I found them on 1939 register. The family name was PRICE...Nan Ada with Emily Samuel and Edna.....
OMG moment when I saw these Sun St threads as never knew about it apart from where it was. I always assumed it was demolished in the 30's which made family move to Kings Norton.
Had read through all the above posts and it sounded a great together place but no mention of an Prices.
Would be great if anyone could put names/dates/ house numbers to my story.

hi charli if you would like any help with your family ancestry you could start a new thread under the section of SURNAME INTERESTS under P for price... i am sure we have a few members who will be happy to help you...

lyn

I wasnt going to ask about the family but saw the Sun St thread and after reading about everyone elses families thought I would say about mine that lived there as I thought it had gone by 1930.

I wasnt going to ask about the family but saw the Sun St thread and after reading about everyone elses families thought I would say about mine that lived there as I thought it had gone by 1930.
thats fine charli i just thought if you needed any help with the family history i would point you in the right direction

lyn

Hello, sorry I'm late to this thread.
I have been looking for more info on my father-in-law's paternal family and have found a couple of threads that are about them! My father-in-law was adopted in 1949 in North Wales and we've been searching for his biological family for about 15 years. Finally made most of the last connections this year.

Here's where 26 Sun Street comes in...

Mary Elizabeth (went by Lizzie) Assinder (a midwife who qualified in early 1900s), married Thomas William Jones in 1896, he was from Bethesda, Caernarvonshire, originally. They first lived at 305 Bellbarn Road, then moved to 26 Sun Street sometime between 1901-1911 census records.

Lizzie's dad was John Peters Assinder, the tripe dealer in Digbeth. John didn't have any living sons, had lots of daughters, so I wonder if the Assinder Tripe Shop turned into a grocery shop (as Lizzie's husband was a grocer) after he retired and moved to Rhyl, where he died in 1911.

Both Lizzie and Thomas were still living at 26 Sun Street up to their deaths in January 1937 and June 1937 (respectively).

Their daughter Phyllis Assinder Jones married an Aussie and moved to Melbourne in about 1920.

Their son John Thomas Jones (my father-in-law's biological dad), was still living at 26 Sun Street up until the 1939 Register, with his aunt, Annie Assinder. In 1921 he is on the census at 26 Sun Street, as an Electrician for Boots the Chemist, Colmore Row, Birmingham. He marries a neighbourhood friend called Gladys Miriam Burton (Gladys' dad worked as a foreman at the Typhoo Tea Factory in Digbeth). From 1940 John is documented to have moved to Ruthin, Denbighshire, to become the Licensed Victualler of The Olde Anchor Inn in Ruthin, and moved back to Birmingham, to 1 Oulton Boulevard East, Acocks Green between at least 1957-1962. He and Gladys moved to Isle of Wight where he died in 1965.

Would dearly love to find any records of this family (other than the census records), it's been a long road to find them. I've collected what I can and added to my tree on Ancestry. Any old photos would be a blessing! Wonderful to read all the comments about Sun Street!

Back