• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sun Street

L

ladywood

Sun Street

Can anyone tell me where Sun Street was.
It would have been in inner Birmingham.
Possibly Aston, or in the St Paul's Church area just off Livery Street.
I can't find it in my A-Z, so It has possibly been demolished in the redevelopment of the inner city.

ladywood

Sun Street

Can anyone tell me where Sun Street was.
It would have been in inner Birmingham.
Possibly Aston, or in the St Paul's Church area just off Livery Street.
I can't find it in my A-Z, so It has possibly been demolished in the redevelopment of the inner city.

ladywood

Last edited by a moderator:
HI
Sun Street Was The Old Ladywood Middle way.
It Actualy Started From The Old Bristol St As It Was Then from the old junction
which was by the very old bristol st picture house
around the corner from the picture house was a load of old type house this was in the fortys and fiftysright up util the redeveloping of the city
the road was old and narrow and as you started to come back towards five ways
you still would have had to drive or walk up that hill towards five ways as it was
and even today sun st started where the bristol st crosses where mcdonalds are
today that was sun st and as you continue to come up the lady wood middle way
it changed to sun st west when you got to the top it became islington row
when i used to work for divis doing the old council house repairs for bush house
our yard was just along the bristol st it was wrentham st next to the picture h
when we done that side of the city and we used to go to a cafe on sun street for
breakfast every morning before starting the rounds and we always played
the juke box and we always played the tornadeos music disc
if you get a a-z book for the year of the fifties or before you you will find sun st
it had gone by the sixties ,that being sun st and continued sun st west
and that was all before wheelys rd it was then islington rd hence five ways
today five ways is called islington best wishes astonian ;;

Sun st was to the west, off Bristol st, just north of where the Middleway is now. It was opposite St Lukes Road. Part of St Lukes Road is still there, but not the part nearest Bristol St. The street is shown on this map c 1913
Mike

13_sun_st_c_1913~0.jpg

HI
around the corner from the picture house was a load of old type house this was in the fortys and fiftysright up util the redeveloping of the city
you still would have had to drive or walk up that hill towards five ways as it was
when i used to work for divis doing the old council house repairs for bush house
when we done that side of the city and we used to go to a cafe on sun street for
if you get a a-z book for the year of the fifties or before you you will find sun st

Dear astonian, Thank you very much for your invaluable help.

ladywood

Sun st was to the west, off Bristol st, just north of where the Middleway is now. It was opposite St Lukes Road. Part of St Lukes Road is still there, but not the part nearest Bristol St. The street is shown on this map c 1913
Mike

Dear Mikejee, Thanks so much for you help, I had no idea it was on the Bristol Road.
It makes more of a conundrum, [but relax] it's one you can't answer.

ladywood

HI

Dear Astonian, not sure if my thanks got through.
Thank you so much for your help.
I had no idea my family lived down there.
Another piece of the puzzle.
Many thanks.

ladywood

Hi Lady Wood
I Used To Live In Lady wood Many Years Ago My Youngest Brother
Did Live Up There Right There In Gun Slingers Alley As We Called It [ Light Thorne AVN; Off Sheepcote Street] His 2 Daughters And His Wfe Still Live There I Myself With My Family Lived In The Big King Edwards Rd Next To Hollonds The Chimney Sweep
i Just Wanted To Say That The Part Of St Lukes Rd You Can See Now ,BUT ST Lukes Rd Was A Very Long And Busy Rd In Those Days And IT Stretch Right All The Way Back To The Old Belgrave Rd It Was A Very Poor Area Mr Arnold Whom Was The Wagg Man ,Thats The ONE IF YOU DID NOT GO TO SCHOOL HE WOULD COME TO YOUR HOUSE MR ARNOLD WAS THE WAGG MAN FOR LADY WOOD AS WELL THAT WAS IN THE 50,S THEN MORE OR LESS YOU CAME OUT OF ST LUKES RD
YOU WOULD BE FACING PRINCESS RD AND THE OLD VARNA RD THE RED LIGHT DISTRICT AND ALL THE ROADS THEN WAS TREE LINEDBEST WISHES ASTONIAN;;

Last edited:
My cousin lived in Spring Street which was off Bellbard Road and near Bristol Road - think it kead into LEE Bank. I believe al has changed now.

Miriam

Mike

Hi Mike,
Wooo, when I first opened that map image I was so excited, all part of my old stomping ground, but my old parental home was just off the bottom of it! :cry:

Any chance of a more southerly scan? Upper end of Spring Rd. Corner of Spring Rd/Cambridge Rd?
I'd really appreciate it.

The one thing that I do remember about Sun St was at the west end on the south side was a fabulous sweet shop! Stop off on way to/from school for bootlaces, flying saucers, sweet cigarettes and lucky dip bags...
I blame lucky dip bags for making me a pessimist! :D

Cheers
Steve

Ladywood, I have a connection with 26 Sun Street. My Mom was born there in 1920 at what appears to be a Midwife's house according to the Kellys of that time.

David
you maps are 20 years or so earlier and the larger scale 1:500 scale. Very interesting.
Mike

Steve
I'm not sure where Cambridge road is on the map. I have a larger area, to the south of previous post at:

https://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq38/jeemikejee/springroad.jpg
No Cambridge road there
mike

Hi Mike,
Thank you for that, absolutely spot on. Unlike my memory!!!! You are absolutely right no Cambridge Road, what I should have said was Cambridge Passage.
Brain now like my internet connection, definately narrow band! :rolleyes:
Thanks again.
Steve

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures and or memories of Sun Street.

I have been looking over my mothers family history and found through the voters roll records that most of them lived on Sun Street from around the 20's - 40's.

It starts with Louisa Knott who probably would have been Louisa Page when she lived there.

Some of her children also settled on the street and my grandmother was actually born there! Part of the family emigrated to New Zealand and Louisa's grandson is still living there aged 90. He has some amazing memories of his time visiting his granny and of Birmingham so I would love to be able to send him some pictures but after trawling the internet I can not find anything.

Family that lived there:

Louisa Page (also known as Louisa Knott/Nott or Louisa Taylor)

Bert Knott who married Lydia Pullen and had two daughters that I know of Violet (1913 -1985) and Doris B 1916.

Violet & George Blunn and their children Mercy and George Arthur. From the records I believe George Jnr married Ethel Matthews whilst living in Sun Street and they had a son Graham.

Clara and Charles Cooke - Who had lots of children however sadly few survived. I know their daughter Catherine was born on Sun Street in 1925. Other Children I know would have been alive at the time are Arthur, George and Florence. I know Florence was a twin to Bert however Bert died quite young.

I heard a story that one the older sisters was lighting the fire and set her dress alight and ran into the street for help and people tried to help but sadly she died, I believe from the story her name or middle name was Catherine and it happened just before the younger Catherines birth in 1925 and she was named after her sister, given the dates this too would have happened on Sun Street.

From the records I can not find any older sisters called Catherine but believe that it could have been Irene Katherine who died she would have been about 12.

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply, I had not seen that thread but strangley had been on the Ladywood site and didn't see the picture!

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, have e-mailed a copy of the pic to New Zealand :)

mempic113.jpg

Hello there, are you still looking online for info? My dad and his sister lived on Sun Street 1929-1932 and they were then put into a children's home and I'm trying to track down anyone who lived in that area. My dad's name is JOHN MILLER and his sister is BARBARA MILLER, their mother was called DOROTHY MILLER. Any info appreciated.

best wishes
Kelly

Back