• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sun street west in 1891

Marg I

My grandparents both lived in sun street in 1891 .number 6 was grans family named Baker .number 7 was Woodward’s .my grandad was the eldest son there .he married the girl next door .does anyone know the name of the nearest churches to this area .they married in edgebaston I think .was this a poor area . ? I would love to go back in time .

hello marg and welcome to the forum...we do have sections for most topics so i will move this thread from forum rules to the neigbours street and roads section where you may get more of a reponse.....pretty sure we may have a few photos of the street before demolision..another tip is to use the search box at the top right of the page..just type in what you are looking for...edit...here are a few photos of sun st to be going on with the 4th photos says its sun st west...sun st west was a continuation of lee bank as you can see by the signs on the wall above the shop

lyn

Lee Bank Sun Street 1961 no 42 2 up from the pub.jpgSun_Street.jpgSpring Street - Sun Street Lee Bank - 1961.jpgLee Bank Road - Sun Street West Lee Bank.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Marg, I think your grandparents married at St Thomas Church (part of it is still there, it was bombed!).

June !st 1895, Samuel Robert to Agnes Edith Lee. Samuel was a pattern maker and Agnes came from !8 Cregoe Street, nearby. (from Ancestry)
St. Thomas is mentioned on the Forum and it was incorporated into the "Peace Garden".
Hope this helps.
rosie.

See edit below

Last edited:
I've just re-read your post and I've made a mistake, was grandfather Baker or Woodward? Sorry!

hello marg and welcome to the forum...we do have sections for most topics so i will move this thread from forum rules to the neigbours street and roads section where you may get more of a reponse.....pretty sure we may have a few photos of the street before demolision..another tip is to use the search box at the top right of the page..just type in what you are looking for...edit...here are a few photos of sun st to be going on with the 4th photos says its sun st west...sun st west was a continuation of lee bank as you can see by the signs on the wall above the shop

lyn

View attachment 146701View attachment 146702View attachment 146703View attachment 146704

Is the first picture looking along Sun Street towards the Church of St Luke? Will the No.8 arrive shortly?

I've just re-read your post and I've made a mistake, was grandfather Baker or Woodward? Sorry!

Frederick William Woodward married Gertrude Annie Baker 1900 at St Bartholomew, Edgbaston. On Ancestry he's (mistakenly) listed as Woodworth.

hi rosie . my grandad was frederick william woodward he married annie gertrude baker in 1900 or 1901 . can you find them ? are on ancestry .com ? thank you for helping us .

I will have a look later Marg. (The marriage for a Samuel Baker I quoted was at 6 Sun Street by the way.)
rosie.

mike photo 1 and 2 on post 2 show both ends of sun st the one photo taken from new spring st end...could you work out please if no 6 is showing in either of those photos..thanks mike

hi marge not sure if you have seen the photos i posted

lyn

Marg, I haven't found baptisms for either of those but there is an extensive tree on Ancestry with photos. It might be an idea to sign up for a free trial or a short sub. Don't believe everything you read on public trees though!!
rosie.

Back