• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sun ray treament

Intresting stories Brian, but do you personaly think it was worth the effort
Did you get results from it or not as i recall those sun ray light was not much of a thing
And todays eqiverent you have got the sun tanning shops which will do you the shop alot qiucker
My brother inlaw all his life from school dsys suffered all these ailments
After a couple of weeks it cleared a life time of acne,my younger brother always had that problem
From boy to youth but eventaly he got sorted he used to try aslsorts of remendyies
Just like when radio luxenburg was on there air waves always publishing out
Adverts for these diffefent creams never worked for him eitherbest wishes Astonian,,,,

Astonian, I did not personally experience sun ray treatment. I was just commenting on the thread because I was surprised that it was used as late as the 1960s and perhaps 1970s.

I dont know how effective it was. Sunlight produces vitamin d so I guess if a person was low on this vitamin, the treatment would help. Extreme deficiency in vitamin d can cause rickets.

This sun ray treatment also used to be used as a treatment for skin conditions.

Reading through the postings on this thread it looks like it was used for a wide range of illnesses and for pale skinny kids.

Sun ray therapy, of sorts, is still used e.g. special lamps are used to treat psoriasis and S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder) lamps can even be bought in Argos stores.

These days doctors warn us about the risks of skin cancer from sun tan lamps so I cant see this treatment coming back anytime soon.

Last edited:
I can't post a link but typing the words "daily mail sun ray therapy" into Google lists an interesting article on the history of this treatment.

I had sun-Ray treatment at York Road School in 1942/1943. It was done weekly in the school hall. We stripped to our knickers and wore goggles and sat on sheets on the floor. I had been in Little Bromwich Fever Hospital for several months with double pneumonia and whooping cough and I think that was the reason for my having this treatment every week for many weeks.

health and safety would have had a field day if they saw want went on in them school clinics. it looks like some thing off the horror channel

Attachments

• torture.jpg
    torture.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
All that's missing is a truckload of pods and we'd have Invasion of the Body Snatchers :) :)

Maurice

good gosh they were making them by machine. that why we went to clone us lol

Attachments

• torture lamp.jpg
    torture lamp.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 23
did any of you encounter this i did at the clinic in john bright st. i used to have to go once a week to sit in front of some sort of heater with goggles on. and be stripped to the waist. i dont know from that day to this why i had this. i never will now because my mom and dad are know longer here.

Hi angeleyes welcome , I had that sunray treatment at a clinic in Woodcock St just past the central fire station in town , the medics thought that with my pale complexion I may have been anaemic so I went for treatment a three day spread over three weeks . I sat there as good as gold goggles on shirt off staring at this UV lamp my that room had a very strange smell . It couldn't have been anything serious I'm still a bit pale so I must have lost the tan ,if ever there was one over the years . Hope this helps John

I remember going to Sunray treatment sessions whan i was young. We would all sit round a bright lamp with goggles on. My Mom told me it was because i had nightmares and it would help. I was an anxious child.

Astonian, I did not personally experience sun ray treatment. I was just commenting on the thread because I was surprised that it was used as late as the 1960s and perhaps 1970s.

I dont know how effective it was. Sunlight produces vitamin d so I guess if a person was low on this vitamin, the treatment would help. Extreme deficiency in vitamin d can cause rickets.

This sun ray treatment also used to be used as a treatment for skin conditions.

Reading through the postings on this thread it looks like it was used for a wide range of illnesses and for pale skinny kids.

Sun ray therapy, of sorts, is still used e.g. special lamps are used to treat psoriasis and S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder) lamps can even be bought in Argos stores.

These days doctors warn us about the risks of skin cancer from sun tan lamps so I cant see this treatment coming back anytime soon.

I remember going to Sunray treatment sessions whan i was young. We would all sit round a bright lamp with goggles on. My Mom told me it was because i had nightmares and it would help. I was an anxious child. I am really not sure because my Mom wasn't/isn't always the most honest person. I wonder if she got paid for taking me to the experiment?

I remember going to Sunray treatment sessions whan i was young. We would all sit round a bright lamp with goggles on. My Mom told me it was because i had nightmares and it would help. I was an anxious child. I am really not sure because my Mom wasn't/isn't always the most honest person. I wonder if she got paid for taking me to the experiment?
Where did you have your treatment and can you remember the year.

i have had a few melinomas removed from my chest and back i was told it was through being sun burned.
it made me wonder,if there is any conection between them and the torcher lamp132489

did any of you encounter this i did at the clinic in john bright st. i used to have to go once a week to sit in front of some sort of heater with goggles on. and be stripped to the waist. i dont know from that day to this why i had this. i never will now because my mom and dad are know longer here.
I had this treatment in the mid 1950’s at Maas Road Clinic Northfields. I remember it exactly as you recall but also remember a very distinctive smell. I was a very thin child and I think the treatment was because of this - maybe rickettsia or failure to thrive as it would be called now maybe

HELLO and welcome to the Forum Yvonne B. it was the smell of ozone. I was anemic. and the lamp never did a thing only burnt me.

Last edited:
HELLO and welcome to the Forum Yvonne B. it was the smell of ozone. I was anemic. and the lamp never did a thing only burnt me.
Thank you. I’ve always wondered what the smell was. I don’t think the treatment helped me. I had very pale skin and couldn’t tolerate the sun so it beggars belief why i had this done to me

Back