• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summerhill Ice Rink 1957/8

Jane Benton

Hi anyone from the Birmingham ice rink 1957 to 1963
I was 6/7 years old when I started skating at summerhill road. My uncle Eddie used to take me every Friday and Sunday afternoons. He was an invalid and used to lean against the wall next to the cafe. I've got photos and I'll try and get them on here but I'm not brilliant at technology. I learnt to rock and roll from the most brilliant man Albert Tomkinson. He's probably long gone now but I still love jiving and I owe it all to him. Also a young man of the day used to turn up in his Royal Air force uniform and do the butterfly with me. I used to be very friendly with someone called Peggy and her family when Cliff was top of the charts with Living Doll. I loved my time at summerhill so if anyone remembers those times, please get in touch and perhaps we could up at an ice rink somewhere. Jane Crisp as was then x

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi jane and welcome...we have a massive thread for this ice rink...loads of memories and photos on it...click on the link below to take you to it...ps make sure you read the thread from post 1 so that you do not miss anything

lyn

Williamstreeter

master brummie
Hi anyone from the Birmingham ice rink 1957 to 1963
I was 6/7 years old when I started skating at summerhill road. My uncle Eddie used to take me every Friday and Sunday afternoons. He was an invalid and used to lean against the wall next to the cafe. I've got photos and I'll try and get them on here but I'm not brilliant at technology. I learnt to rock and roll from the most brilliant man Albert Tomkinson. He's probably long gone now but I still love jiving and I owe it all to him. Also a young man of the day used to turn up in his Royal Air force uniform and do the butterfly with me. I used to be very friendly with someone called Peggy and her family when Cliff was top of the charts with Living Doll. I loved my time at summerhill so if anyone remembers those times, please get in touch and perhaps we could up at an ice rink somewhere. Jane Crisp as was then x

I went there a couple of times with my sister as a nipper. Late 50's early 60's you would have seen me and another young man walking around in my St John Ambulance uniform on . Literally wetting myself in case anything went wrong , I kept thinking if something does happen will I be able to help , will I remember what to do ??