• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Road Erdington

AnnieB

master brummie
When I lived in Balmoral Road, Erdington during the late 50's until 1968, there was some sort of delivery yard at the bottom of our garden which is off Summer Road. I was always led to believe it was Baker's removals. My late father-in-law worked for Baker's and my husband used to go to the depot on a number of occasions with his Dad when he was a young lad. My husband tells me that this isn't where Baker's was located. Can anyone on here help with this, please? If it wasn't Baker's, who was located there?IMG_4624.PNG

When I lived in Balmoral Road, Erdington during the late 50's until 1968, there was some sort of delivery yard at the bottom of our garden which is off Summer Road. I was always led to believe it was Baker's removals. My late father-in-law worked for Baker's and my husband used to go to the depot on a number of occasions with his Dad when he was a young lad. My husband tells me that this isn't where Baker's was located. Can anyone on here help with this, please? If it wasn't Baker's, who was located there?View attachment 122309
There is a photo of Bakers Removals Vans on the forum see link below and there appears to be an address on the side of the vans of 76, Summer Rd ...:)
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/furniture-removals.44095/

Annie B your house in Balmoral Road would have backed on to the lower Summer Road ,Bakers was higher up almost opposite the New Inns and would have backed on to South road.
I walked for many years in the 50s and 60s through the alley that went from Summer road to Marsh Lane(Dodds decorators) and at the summer Road end there was a builders yard which your house may have backed on to.
EDIT. I have just looked on google earth and the alley is still there alongside a large grey business property.
My family lived in Marsh Lane, Dare Road and Robin Road.

Last edited:
Annie B your house in Balmoral Road would have backed on to the lower Summer Road ,Bakers was higher up almost opposite the New Inns and would have backed on to South road.
I walked for many years in the 50s and 60s through the alley that went from Summer road to Marsh Lane(Dodds decorators) and at the summer Road end there was a builders yard which your house may have backed on to.
EDIT. I have just looked on google earth and the alley is still there alongside a large grey business property.
My family lived in Marsh Lane, Dare Road and Robin Road.

Thanks, Alberta! You have confirmed my husband's memory. Maybe I can find out who the builders were which may jog my memory. I remember the alley you are talking about and I remember Dodd's the 'wallpapeer shop'. Mrs. Dodd's brother was Engelbert Humperdinck!

Thank you! Great Photo! I am still convinced that Bakers yard was at the bottom of my garden and Google maps is sort of confirming this but my husband still disagrees. I have an aunt who might be able to remember.

I remember Bakers yard as being in the triangle of land between the railway and Summer Lane opposite the New Inns

I've linked to the pic which is in a Furniture Removals thread and the address 76, Summer Road, Birmingham, can be seen on the vans. Would this have been a separate office and it would also be interesting to know where these vans were parked for the photo?
index.php

from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/furniture-removals.44095/

Back