• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

heres a thought. it may have been the funeral of a long serving member of the unity and the prossession stopped outside the club as a mark of respect.

wales.
I am with someone called Bob Chinn who is 91 years old his father owned the undertakers on the corner of Summer Lane and Brass Street, he thinks this was a funeral and that his dad's undertakers Harman and sons had 14 horses. He loved seeing the photo... thank you

I am with someone called Bob Chinn who is 91 years old his father owned the undertakers on the corner of Summer Lane and Brass Street, he thinks this was a funeral and that his dad's undertakers Harman and sons had 14 horses. He loved seeing the photo... thank you
Thank you very much for giving us this information, and of course Bob Chinn

From 1930 Kelly's

129 Summer Lanenew.PNG

Last edited:
Samuel Keightley lived at 235 summer lane he was a glass manufactor is their a way i could find details of this please

Hi deb. what sort of details did you have in mind? Are you looking for info about 235 Summer Lane or about Samuel Keightley?
Also a date might help. Thanks

I too visited the newsagent on several occasions when I worked next door. Very sad day when those buildings got demolished, although looking at the subsidence it was probably a miracle they survived as long as they did!
Yes I remember these very well , passed them on way to school daily, at the end of this block was public toilets one old penny for the ladies lol

this is for our new member villafanman...

here is a map showing where you was born at 10/331 summer lane no 10 highlighted in blue...if you look at the map you will see no 330 is marked out as thats where you thought you lived until looking at your birth cert:rolleyes: if you look at the map you will see a pub on the corner which is the barrel pub and is still there...everything else in the photo has gone however if you count about 9 down from the pub this is where 331 was of course you would have had to go up an entry to get to your house which you can also see on the map...its only a rough guess but if you look at the back of the van on the wall is a tall pasted on advert...i think 331 roughly next to that there but maybe if mike our map expert spots this post he may work it out exactly for you

lyn

summer lane map showing 10 back of 330 1950.jpgSummer_Lane_The_Settlement_Cornerz.jpg

Last edited:
thanks mike that is just where i thought the entry was...not bad for me lol....also i forgot to say thanks for sending me the map mike..

hi villafanman it is comments like yours that make this forum what it is...i can fully understand your excitement....happy to help please feel free to save the map and the photo to show your children

lyn

Nice rear view of Midland Red single decker. Shame I can,t make out the registration.
I know for sure that the first 2 digits are HA. I believe that all Midland Red buses were registered in Smethwick, which HA represents. On later registrations, they would have been the second digits. Like this...Me & a Midland Red-1.jpg
Dave A

jim this is todays view and out of the 16 or so pubs that was open along summer lane in the 1960s it is the only one still pulling pints the stag and royal george pub buildings are still standing but used for other things now...all the rest demolished

Last edited:
What was the Unity Club. Is it still in existance.
Hi unity club was on summer lane originally , men only club working men's club, also was money lenders like the money clubs at church now, only business men at first, my great uncle Dave Osbourne was second member. Later on it went into new summer St, later on ladies where members , too, my dad loved playing snooker there .

very interesting views of Summer Lane, I used to go to The Birmingham Settlement in Summer lane used to do dancing shows there with the Lawley school of dance and then went to the youth club there, bopping the night away. memories bless em
Gladi
Hi I remember going to brownies at settlement and youth club in 70s

Hi unity club was on summer lane originally , men only club working men's club, also was money lenders like the money clubs at church now, only business men at first, my great uncle Dave Osbourne was second member. Later on it went into new summer St, later on ladies where members , too, my dad loved playing snooker there .
welcome hilda and of course you are quite correct about the unity club...on the corner of new summer st and summer lane..there should be a couple of photos of it possibly on this thread...the new unity club is now half way up new summer st...enjoy the forum

lyn

I know for sure that the first 2 digits are HA. I believe that all Midland Red buses were registered in Smethwick, which HA represents. On later registrations, they would have been the second digits. Like this...View attachment 169799
Dave A
They were HA registrations. THA 136 was new in 1952 and withdrawn in 1967. It was classified as as D7.

Nice photo.

Back