• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Summer Lane

Preedy Summer lane , well never thought I would see anyone that worked there.
I was there in I think 1961 ! Now how about names Howard Lawton , manager, Arnold Robinson sales manager. then Ron Cobb, rep, Sam Massey, rep Brian Shelley , rep always late . Miss Penny ? And YES Sandra, and I think Pat. Martin Twitty, John ? Marurice Foley, a lad named Louis ? Nearly 60 years ago.
Hope somebody replies
I've just found this photo of what used to be Preedy's at 15 Summer Lane. This pic was taken in later years just before it was demolished. You can see the big metal gate to the right which was next to the newsagents shop. Had some happy times there. It was my first job on leaving school.View attachment 131809
Sorry it's so small. I've tried reducing the file size in order to post it but it made the photo small too!
Just replied to this further down , so here it is again . I was at Preedys in 1961 ? Howard Lawton was Manager , Arnold Robinson , Sales manager, Ron Cobb , rep . Sam Massey, rep , Brian Shelley rep, then there was Miss penny, and of course SANDRA and Pat, Martin Twitty, Maurice Foley, John ? Louis ?
60 years ago. I never thought I would ever see anybody else from that era, thats of course if you were at Preedys ?

I've just found this photo of what used to be Preedy's at 15 Summer Lane. This pic was taken in later years just before it was demolished. You can see the big metal gate to the right which was next to the newsagents shop. Had some happy times there. It was my first job on leaving school.View attachment 131809
Sorry it's so small. I've tried reducing the file size in order to post it but it made the photo small too!
Who are you , did you work atPreedys in 1961?????

who are you because i worked there in 1961 62

hi all. just been given a lovely photo so i thought i would share it with you. it was taken in 1930 and the caption is the unity club. now i know that the unity club is now in new summer st and has been for some years but originally it was i am told on the corner of new summer st and summer lane. so i reckon that the street on the right is indeed new summer st and the tall building is the unity club. what facinates me is the large prossession going up summer lane. the person who holds the original has no idea what it was. maybe a lord mayors prossession or a funeral?? has anyone any ideas.

wales.
Would like to see your 1930 photo of Summer Lane.

Nick S Phillips

hi nick that was one of the photos we lost when the forum was hacked in 2010 ..will have a look to see if i still have it in my files...if so i will re post it for you although having said that i think someone may have reposted it but this is a big thread to go through..

lyn

Having scrolled through the first 12 pages of this thread, these are the pics that I cannot access, most are from 2010.
post No.s 95 , 107, 116, 148, 159, 177 ( attachments 58313 & 58312) , 188, 214, and 233.
If anyone can repost these I would be most grateful.
Kooglescriber

Having scrolled through the first 12 pages of this thread, these are the pics that I cannot access, most are from 2010.
post No.s 95 , 107, 116, 148, 159, 177 ( attachments 58313 & 58312) , 188, 214, and 233.
If anyone can repost these I would be most grateful.
Kooglescriber
[/Quote

as that is quite a few photos when i have time i willl see if i may still have them and repost for you

lyn

Have replaced the photo on 159, but many of the other posts do not say what the photos are and possibly the posters do not no know which were posted. Some are also from "guests", which means they are no longer are members, so are unlikely to see your post, and would have to rejoin to post

Re Preedy summer lane , im sure someone on here said that they worked there, but no one has replied to my saying I worked there in 1961/2 so if you did who are you?

Hi all,
I am trying now to find any photo's of houses showing 335 Summer Lane and a pic of The Red Lion in Summer Lane.
I have trawled through the pubs of Summer Lane thread and found it fascinating, well done. It would be great if someone could come up with a photo to complete the set.

Hi all,
I am trying now to find any photo's of houses showing 335 Summer Lane and a pic of The Red Lion in Summer Lane.
I have trawled through the pubs of Summer Lane thread and found it fascinating, well done. It would be great if someone could come up with a photo to complete the set.

to date a photo of the red lion has never been found but never say never..i take it you have an interest in the red lion

lyn

Hi Lyn,
Not really, I did find your Summer Lane pubs photo's really interesting.
My aim is to find photo's of old Summer Lane for my friend who lived at 335 around 50's & 60's.
He will be 80 in October and I thought I would give him some memories of his younger days. So any help will be most welcome.

well there are plenty of photos on this very long thread of summer lane so best to start reading from post 1 but we could do with a map highlighting exactly where no 335 was...does your friend remember the name of the closest pub to his house....it may help?? in the meantime i will ask our map expert for a map showing where your friends house was

lyn

Hi Lyn, Mike has beaten me to it, I was going to post to tell you He had already pinpointed the place for me.
Also this afternoon I saw a great colour photo looking down Summer Lane toward New Summer Street c1960's I would think, which had a midland red bus hiding what I think maybe the houses where 335 was.
I have been wading through the Summer Lane thread and so far looked at 12 pages out of 35 I think so still some to go at.

There are photos of the Unity Club in his thread. Maybe one of them shows 335 as it was only a few doors away.

yes alan that is exactly the photo i was thinking of...335 was 3 doors down from the original unity club which was on the corner so this photo must show the house with the funeral going past. possibly where the gordons gin sign is..i hope..oh the pub with the white walls on the other corner is i believe the bulls head

summer lane .the unity club 1930.jpg

Last edited:
Hello I'm new to the forum. My dad lived in summer lane as a child, next door to The Barrel Pub. They later moved to Tower Street and then Guildford Street. The family name was Durrant and he was the youngest of 18 children. Does anyone remember the name or the family?
This building is on Summer Lane between Tower Street and Brearley Street. Is it an old chapel? There appears to be a date on the building but it's not quite legible. Possibly 1832? I've enlarged to date. Viv.

Have replaced the photo on 159, but many of the other posts do not say what the photos are and possibly the posters do not no know which were posted. Some are also from "guests", which means they are no longer are members, so are unlikely to see your post, and would have to rejoin to post
I viewed this site before joining and it is a good idea that you can visit first. My main aim was looking for past and lost info to put on my family tree. However I will be hooked and lined. Its a shame the guests do not join. As the more means history survives. Its only fair you share. Theres nothing to be afraid off. Just old Brumies here.

I viewed this site before joining and it is a good idea that you can visit first. My main aim was looking for past and lost info to put on my family tree. However I will be hooked and lined. Its a shame the guests do not join. As the more means history survives. Its only fair you share. Theres nothing to be afraid off. Just old Brumies here.

well said lost family....enjoy the forum

lyn

on the opposite side to the barrel in lyns foto would have been old mr dossiter's second hand
furniture shop, and a little further down was 'bunnies' the paper shop,who later moved to
upper tower st, facing the settlement.
Dought if you will get this now paulyx. it may be out of date now its now 2020. i remember the second hand shop, and bunnies. their name was Suekles if that,s spelt right, he was Polish his wife English they had 2 sons i think 1 daughter. his wifes mother lived up our yard facing the shop. Misses White at 5 back of 330, we lived at 7 back of 330 .stensons aunt Rose Flynn at 2 back of 330. Little shop 330 summer lane run by Kilroy Silk the Former MP and tv stars Grandmother. Hope you do get this it,s my first time. God bless you Brummies all. nosnets

Dought if you will get this now paulyx. it may be out of date now its now 2020. i remember the second hand shop, and bunnies. their name was Suekles if that,s spelt right, he was Polish his wife English they had 2 sons i think 1 daughter. his wifes mother lived up our yard facing the shop. Misses White at 5 back of 330, we lived at 7 back of 330 .stensons aunt Rose Flynn at 2 back of 330. Little shop 330 summer lane run by Kilroy Silk the Former MP and tv stars Grandmother. Hope you do get this it,s my first time. God bless you Brummies all. nosnets

pauly was on the forum on tues nosnets so hopefully will pick up your post...that is very interesting to know that kilroy silks gran ran a shop on summer lane

lyn

Back