• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

These captures are the same as my links in post 672. As it can be seen the entrance to the property is hidden to a degree behind a wall which would explain the comment that Sugar made about not seeing anyone coming or going from there.

Strange building. Must have been ‘T’ shaped. Or maybe we’re looking at two buildings, but the Henrietta side looks to be joined to the Summer Lane side. Viv

I'd go as far as to say that the whole piece of land from Tower Street up to the Victoria Works on Lyn's map post # 575 was Settlement related and would have included the City nursery (or an earlier nursery). Their early work with mothers and children has certainly left it's stamp on Sumner Lane.

Janice mentioned the reference to the mortuary when posting the link to the book in post #574. The book describes one particular reason why there was a need for a mortuary. (I assume the mortuary mentioned earlier in this thread is that provided by the Settlement). As was common , coffins were placed in the deceased home, but there's mention that a family might sometimes use it as a table to eat their food off!!

I'm also now wondering where the temperance pub was? Viv.

The link for the page mentioned in the discussion above is not readable, but here is some info on the Birmingham Women’s Settlement in March 1906...

44ED951D-1AF2-48DE-8130-928E0A945E81.jpeg

The Birmingham Women’s Settlement was founded in 1899 with the specific aim of, “improving the condition and raising the standard among a population that is heavily handicapped by its environment.”

Operating as a centre for the study of social work and industrial conditions within the densely populated district of Hockley, the organisation also began the social and economic ‘education’ of its working class clientele; this was undertaken by (for example) the provision of relief work for the sick, the operation of a ‘Mothers’ Club in 1902, and in 1899, the founding of a ‘Provident Society’, which, through its, Thrift Collectors’, encouraged its members to save small sums of money for unanticipated expenses.

Receiving the support and patronage of the Cadburys, with Elizabeth Cadbury as a Vice President.

The work of the Settlement must still go on as we have one of their shops in Boldmere and one up at Wylde Green. Wonder where they're based now.

Preedy Summer lane , well never thought I would see anyone that worked there.
I was there in I think 1961 ! Now how about names Howard Lawton , manager, Arnold Robinson sales manager. then Ron Cobb, rep, Sam Massey, rep Brian Shelley , rep always late . Miss Penny ? And YES Sandra, and I think Pat. Martin Twitty, John ? Marurice Foley, a lad named Louis ? Nearly 60 years ago.
Hope somebody replies
I've just found this photo of what used to be Preedy's at 15 Summer Lane. This pic was taken in later years just before it was demolished. You can see the big metal gate to the right which was next to the newsagents shop. Had some happy times there. It was my first job on leaving school.View attachment 131809
Sorry it's so small. I've tried reducing the file size in order to post it but it made the photo small too!
Just replied to this further down , so here it is again . I was at Preedys in 1961 ? Howard Lawton was Manager , Arnold Robinson , Sales manager, Ron Cobb , rep . Sam Massey, rep , Brian Shelley rep, then there was Miss penny, and of course SANDRA and Pat, Martin Twitty, Maurice Foley, John ? Louis ?
60 years ago. I never thought I would ever see anybody else from that era, thats of course if you were at Preedys ?

I've just found this photo of what used to be Preedy's at 15 Summer Lane. This pic was taken in later years just before it was demolished. You can see the big metal gate to the right which was next to the newsagents shop. Had some happy times there. It was my first job on leaving school.View attachment 131809
Sorry it's so small. I've tried reducing the file size in order to post it but it made the photo small too!
Who are you , did you work atPreedys in 1961?????

who are you because i worked there in 1961 62

hi all. just been given a lovely photo so i thought i would share it with you. it was taken in 1930 and the caption is the unity club. now i know that the unity club is now in new summer st and has been for some years but originally it was i am told on the corner of new summer st and summer lane. so i reckon that the street on the right is indeed new summer st and the tall building is the unity club. what facinates me is the large prossession going up summer lane. the person who holds the original has no idea what it was. maybe a lord mayors prossession or a funeral?? has anyone any ideas.

wales.
Would like to see your 1930 photo of Summer Lane.

Nick S Phillips

hi nick that was one of the photos we lost when the forum was hacked in 2010 ..will have a look to see if i still have it in my files...if so i will re post it for you although having said that i think someone may have reposted it but this is a big thread to go through..

lyn

Having scrolled through the first 12 pages of this thread, these are the pics that I cannot access, most are from 2010.
post No.s 95 , 107, 116, 148, 159, 177 ( attachments 58313 & 58312) , 188, 214, and 233.
If anyone can repost these I would be most grateful.
Kooglescriber

Having scrolled through the first 12 pages of this thread, these are the pics that I cannot access, most are from 2010.
post No.s 95 , 107, 116, 148, 159, 177 ( attachments 58313 & 58312) , 188, 214, and 233.
If anyone can repost these I would be most grateful.
Kooglescriber
[/Quote

as that is quite a few photos when i have time i willl see if i may still have them and repost for you

lyn

Back