• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

This building on Summer Lane is now being used by The Big Issue. Next door to Centro House.

Some details above.

It looked like a bus or tram depot. But was it used as an ambulance depot also?

ell i am pretty sure that it was the MEB generating station built on the site of the old hospital.

lyn

I'm sure this building was the frontage of the power station which stood on the site between Summer Lane and the canal. You can see it in this aerial photograph taken in 1937. Look to the left about half way up. The chimneys for the boilers are on the left and the cooling towers are on the land now occupied by the Centro building. You can see the gable end of this part of the building with a white outline across the top of the gable.
As it would have been built by the Corporation it would have had a marked similarity to the bus garages built between the wars.
Just in case you missed it, Livery Street, Snow Hill and Snow Hill Station are on the right!
Snow Hill & Summer Lane from the air 1937 copy.jpg

ell i am pretty sure that it was the MEB generating station built on the site of the old hospital.

lyn

It is locally listed Grade B by the council. With this in the description "MEB Stores and Depot".

Hard to find out any information about the building online. Looks Victorian or Edwardian to me.

The nearest this building came to be related to transport was/is that next door are offices that where used by W.M.P.T.E. and at the moment N.X.W.M use the offices. and of course the buses have passed this building for many years

You mean Centro / Network West Midlands / Transport for the West Midlands (West Midlands Combined Authority).

these shops were at the bottom of the lane..constitution hill end...it was at one time thought they may be saved but they were demolished a few years back...happy to say that at least i can say i went into a couple of shops down summer lane...

summer20lane20shops____.jpg
I too visited the newsagent on several occasions when I worked next door. Very sad day when those buildings got demolished, although looking at the subsidence it was probably a miracle they survived as long as they did!

hello amanda i am a little confused...the pic viv posted on post 583 is definately the settlement corner of summer lane/tower st..below is vivs photo and another one to compere..below those is a map showing where colmore terrace was which was at gt hampton row near to the corner with new john st west..i could of course be wrong but for the sake of history i am happy to be corrected..i do have a photo of colmore terrace

all the best

lyn

View attachment 109941 View attachment 109942
Hi Lyn
What I actually meant was that there was no "1899 Settlement Building" as such. The Settlement started in Colmore Terrace which was built much earlier. I can only apologise for my poor English that caused the confusion, and also for the delay in responding - for some reason I wasn't informed of new thread posts!
Amanda

hi amanda yes i understood in the end as said in post 620...that was a nice bit of info from you that i didnt know..cheers

lyn

hi folks can anyone recall there being a butchers called turners on the lane..no exact date but could be in the 50s or 60s...ps think they had more than 1 shop..

lyn

13 Photobucket images that are missing from this thread but some PB images have been permanently deleted so not recoverable. The post numbers are above each image. They are Coppermine using multi upload.
Post#295
295-sumlane.jpg

Post#296
296-summer20lane20shops____.jpg

Post#297
297-Summer_Lane_381_1932_18C_Birmingham_Houses_per_Mike.jpg

Post#298
298-Summer_Lane_The_Settlement_Cornerz.jpg

Post#299
299-thestagandstchadsschool.jpg

Post#300
300-SUMMERLANENUM19.jpg

Post#302
302-summerlane.jpg

Post#304
304-oldpics004.jpg

Post#308
308-settlement.jpg

Post#324
324-geacharms-1.jpg

Post#326
326-summerlanepubs.jpg

Post#356
356-summerlanepubs-2.jpg

Post#427
427-SUMMERLANE_zpsde8d99de.jpg

Now copied to their original posts, all of Astonesses photos recovered by Oldmohawk in post #654. Thanks Phil and Lyn. Great photos! Viv.

Thanks Viv, there was a PB pic in #293 but it was just an 'emoticon', perhaps you can delete the PB pic and drop a forum smiley there. The colour pic in post#427 is a view of Summer Lane just how I remember it ... with Midland Red buses running ...:)

many thanks OM and viv for a great joint effort in replacing the PB photos on this thread...i shall certainly not be using them again...:mad:

lyn x

Back