• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

hi folks..every so often a photo comes along that makes all the searching worth while and we are very thin on the ground for pics of summer lane...i have personally never seen this cracking one before....summer lane taken from the junction with brearely st dated 1959....the factory on the left is still there as is the zebra crossing...next to the factory i believe is an entrance to summer lane school...heading on down towards the corner would be the brittania inn corner of njsw and summer lane...just above the roof of the school building you will see the roof of c brandaurs njsw which is being renovated at the moment...

lyn

Nice one Lyn, that white or light looking building was a post office...

I think I remember (70 years ago ) an old song about " The Sun Shines Bright On Summer Lane " Has anybody come across or remember this little ditty ?

I think I remember (70 years ago ) an old song about " The Sun Shines Bright On Summer Lane " Has anybody come across or remember this little ditty ?

martin yes thats the summer lane song...somewhere on the forum should be the words to it...will try and find them laer on today and post them on this thread for you unless someone has got the words to hand and can put them on for you...

lyn

Last edited:
birmingham settlement..tower st/summer lane

Attachments

• birmingham settlement.jpg
    birmingham settlement.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 65
Have just noticed the picture of the unity club #462. I think this picture was taken just after the fire, which was in 1947. me and my friend were on our way to the Eye hospital when we came across it. Dave

Have just noticed the picture of the unity club #462. I think this picture was taken just after the fire, which was in 1947. me and my friend were on our way to the Eye hospital when we came across it. Dave

thanks dave thats great info i have just edited post 462

cheers

lyn

hi john thanks again for emailing me this the other day....you said it was from B SALE but if you look closely it there is a the letter H before it....H B SALE corner of constitution hill/summer lane its the red terracota bricked building which i believe is now a restaurant..well at least the ground floor is...what a great find from a boot sale john which i think you said was not even in birmingham...if ever you get fed up of it i have a nice little spot here lol

well found

lyn

john that was well worth it.....its just come to mind now although it must have been at least 6 years ago that H B SALE had a large building at the back of the main one which was being demolished and i went in a took some photos think i came out a with a couple of order books and some combs which were most likely given out as freebies...must see if i still have them...cant find the thread now but if could the photos would be lost...

lyn

A wonderful old building that to me was ruined when the extra floor was added and that was years before they painted the ground floor exterior walls pink. Why are they allowed to do these things?

Attachments

• Hockley Constitution Hill (2).jpg
    Hockley Constitution Hill (2).jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 67
hi phil as far as i know it was not the HB SALE building that was painted pink...it was the gothic pub on the corner of gt hampton st/ gt hampton row...think its still pink actually...just done a street view and yes the gothic is still pink...such a shame to see this pub go i used to spend a lot of time in there back in the day

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn

I know the Gothic was also painted pink but I thought that was done at a later date to the H B Sale building this photo shows it with only the corner section of the building painted pink, but at one time the whole ground floor was pink. It was then later repainted all in the same red colour that the sides are painted here.

Attachments

• H.B.Sale Constitution Hill .jpg
    H.B.Sale Constitution Hill .jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 32
do you know phil i cant recall SALES being pink all along the bottom...cant forget the gothic as its a much more vivid pink and there used to be more of it....i really fear for these two buildings but ive now accecpted that no matter how much we moan and protest if they are to go then they will go

lyn

I was in Summer Lane yesterday and took these photos.
Afraid the building is in sorry condition, would love to go in and up to the top, but apparently extensive work and money are needed to stablise and maintain the building.
The sign looks like the main structure of the 'A' has gone at some point.15-07-15 018.jpg15-07-15 020.jpg15-07-15 021.jpg15-07-15 022.jpg The top is filled with some sort of growth,but couldn't see any evidence of pigeons.
Excuse quality of first two photos, large magnification used.
Also reminds me of the flatiron building in New York.

good photos john and such a fine building...did you see any evidence of it still being a restaurant??....

lyn

Back