• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

Wendy. That's a really good photograph. Do you know what numbers the houses are? and also do you know what the road is that crosses summer lane please?
John

Wendy. That's a really good photograph. Do you know what numbers the houses are? and also do you know what the road is that crosses summer lane please?
John

hi john maybe mikejee can help with the numbering but i meant to say in my post that is it new john st west running across

lyn

Below is a map c 1955. Many are numbered, but have added post Office as 283 in red.

map_c_1955_showing_summer_lane_around_no_283_.jpg

John

According to Kelly's the Post Office is number 283 and the hairdressers next door is 282.

Sorry Mike, once again at the same time.

thanks for the map mike and i have just realised that we were so close to getting a much sought after photo...mallyb2 s dad had the bakers shop on the diagonal corner to the post office....so close but like i say they are out there somewhere...

Just posting these couple of pics for my friend. She came across this grave at Witton Cemetery today. I thought you might find interesting10647131_982815381736386_5403179958046361352_n.jpg10628447_982815075069750_2992869742091883820_n.jpg

now that is very interesting topsy a great addition to the summer lane thread...can you thank your friend and also thanks to you for posting them...

lyn x

Last edited:
Sarah had been at the post office for at least 31 years, as she is listed in the 1876 directory

Does anyone remember or have a picture of the shops and houses in Summer Lane from the corner of Cowper Street going down away from Birmingham. On the corner of Cowper Street by the school was a chemist shop, next I think was a sweet and ice cream shop then a butchers,there were some houses and further down a small clothes shop, next door number 179 was my grandparents greengrocers shop, Deathridge, my uncle also sold cycle spares and did cycle repairs. I think they took over the shop about 1910, after grandad died my granny kept the shop going until it was knocked down. As a child I used to love weighing fruit and veg on the old scales, my uncle made me my first two wheel bike which we had to get home to Selly Oak on the buses.
Pamela Y

I've been searching the Summer Lane thread with the sole purpose of finding reference to Charlie Deathridge. He was such an amazing character, i couldn't believe that a Summer Lane thread could exist without his inclusion. The grocery/cycle shop combination was in its self an anomaly. I think he had 2 sisters that worked the grocery side, which was on the left side of the store. On the right was Charlie's bike parts, thousands of them...He also had a repair shop up the yard at the back. He taught me how to build a cycle wheel, spoke by spoke. It was very difficult to get him to do things unless he really wanted to, a very obstinate man, but he was the only guy to go to at the time. He was always rowing with the sisters it seemed.

Back