• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

Thank you, sorry for delay, it's this Christmas 'thing' LOL. Will get back to you asap, very much obliged for your help, hope you don't think me rude in not replying straight away.

hi mossy
are you from summer lane, because my mom daisy Hamblin married my dad Arthur moss , his mom was lilly moss and I was brought up in porchester street just off summer lane by the crocodile works.
maybe we are some relation, been trying to to track down the family history.
my dad went to upper Thomas street school and lived on Clifton rd, aston. my mom lived by summer lane police station, 7 bk of 268 summer lane.
thanks for your time
Jason moss

are you from summer lane, because my mom daisy Hamblin married my dad Arthur moss , his mom was lilly moss and I was brought up in porchester street just off summer lane by the crocodile works.
maybe we are some relation, been trying to to track down the family history.
my dad went to upper Thomas street school and lived on Clifton rd, aston. my mom lived by summer lane police station, 7 bk of 268 summer lane.
thanks for your time
Jason moss

cracking photo of the unity club corner of summer lane/new summer st..no definate date but round about 1947 (thanks to dave for this info) it would be great if any of our members could put names to faces of the children standing on the corner...

unity.jpg

Last edited:
Good Afternoon . . . accidentally found this thread and can't resist posting... Daniel LEONARD[SUP]20[/SUP] was born on 2 August 1812 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England.[SUP]3[/SUP] He was baptized on 25 September 1812 in Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England.[SUP]3[/SUP] He died in 1879 at the age of 67 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England.[SUP]21[/SUP] The family was living at 126 Summer Lane, St. Stephen (St. George sub-reg), Birmingham, at the time of the 1851 Census. Daniel and his son Daniel were gun stockers, while Sarah was a dress maker.

That Daniel Leonard is my great great grandfather.

I would be interested to know if 126 could be picked out on a map at all?

we are doing well today for summer lane pics...just been sent this one and its a cracker..

i can see the bulls head on the corner of summer lane and new summer st...on the other corner is the original unity club and the pub further down by the esso sign would be the royal george..no date on this but as we can also see the post office tower which was completed in 1965 its safe to say it was taken after then..
This a great photo, thank you Astoness, or can I call you Lyn, yes you can just about see our house, or as you say the attic window above the bus, you were right in saying it was taken after 65, we moved out in 64 or 65 and the esso garage wasn't there then, oh, and there is the best fish and chip shop in Birmingham with the tizer sign.

This a great photo, thank you Astoness, or can I call you Lyn, yes you can just about see our house, or as you say the attic window above the bus, you were right in saying it was taken after 65, we moved out in 64 or 65 and the esso garage wasn't there then, oh, and there is the best fish and chip shop in Birmingham with the tizer sign.

I love this picture..a Midland Red..I walked down Summer Lane every day to school at St Chads Juniors in Shadwell St. The Austin A35 van in the front moves me to tears that was my first car 817GVP. The Pap shows where I lived at 2/437 New John St West. between Summer Lane and Newtown Row. Up the entry behind Milmans shop

hi sue and of course you may call me lyn...most folk do...at least your old chippy is in the pic but i am most annoyed that the bus is blocking the complete view of your house lol...it always great to welcome another summer laner to the forum...

hi tom..sorry that photo reduced you to tears but i do understand why...i have seen many photos that bought tears to my eyes especially the ones i found last year of paddington st where i was born....ps tom i have sent you a private message

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
5. Woolley Family c.1903 - btb Summer Lane.JPG

Thanks Mike for finding the thread for me. You may have this message twice as by the time I got the picture uploaded my post had gone somewhere! Anyway, this is my Woolley family and I've always been told it was in the back yard of Gt Grandma's house. She lived at 264 & 265 on the 1901 census. I have now narrowed the date of this photo down to mid-1902 (by the ages of my aunts and uncles shown in the photo). She was a Wardrobe Dealer - I presume this meant that she sold second hand clothes.

Just wanted your input please as to which properties you think 264 & 265 are. I've counted back from 268 but I'm not sure the ones I've spotted fit with the above as the ones I'm looking at appear to have buildings immediately behind although I suppose these might've gone by then.

I can definitely tell you exactly which houses they were as the 1900 directory lists 264-265 as Mrs Esther Wooley , secondhand clothes dealer (I think wardrobe dealer is what was usually used a few years earlier), and it is on the northern corner of Bridge St West/ summer lane. Shown in same map as before, but 264-5 in blue . I also show a larger scale map (c 1889) of the houses. I think it cannot be exactly behind 264-5 as the archway is on the right of the photo,whereas , if it was directly behind the house it would be on the far left, against the wall. It was probably taken outside the back of a neighbours house, possibly behind 263 (camera as shown by arrow ) or in one of the yards. It would be right to say that this was behind the shop, just not directly behind.

map_c_1889_showing_back_264-265.jpg

map_c_1913_showing_268__and_7_back_268_summer_lane_and_265-5.jpg

That's great Mike, thanks. Lovely maps. I was going the wrong way from 268 (typical) I thought they would number the houses from the city end but they probably started on the other side of the road at the city end and came back down, is that right? I can start looking through all the books again to see if I can find a photo. I do wish there were a few more names on old photographs - I can only name a few of the people on this one and they're directly related. Having said that I'm just as guilty and never write dates or names on photos.

mike a small typo error on post previous post should be 264 to 265 not 365...

lady p...what a wonderful photo of your woolley family..how lucky you are to have it...i see mike has marked out nos 264 to 265 on the opposite corner would have stood the red lion pub demolished in the 1920s..the ground that the pub was on is now taken up by bridge st police station..

lyn

lady p please go to post 454 it shows your woolley shop fronts on the corner and on the opposite corner you can see the vacant ground where the red lion pub once stood theodore st is on the right...how lucky is this..

lyn

Last edited:
Yes the numbering did go that way.
Lyn thanks for spotting my error. I have corrected it in the original now.

Back