• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

We lived next door to the Rose and Crown in Hospital St. but dad never went in there, he preferred the Bull.

We lived next door to the Rose and Crown in Hospital St. but dad never went in there, he preferred the Bull.

with so many pubs around in those days lynne its a wonder the men ever managed to get home..ive read that it was not uncommon for wifes to go storming into the pub and slap hubbys dinner on the bar..maybe in some cases even over their heads lol

Seeing the picture of the Bulls Head with the Unity on the other corner, can anyone remember the fire at the Unity? It was in the mid to late 40s and was quite a big blaze.
Dave.

Do you know any of the Geach Licensees names during the 1930s, about 1933/4 in particular - a long shot I know

The online electoral Roll (only some years online) lists the occupants of the Geach Arms as:
1930 Edward Corr
1935 Harry & Lily Pyatt
1939 Ernest & Nellie Farbrother

Thank you mikejee. Do you know if 217 Summer Lane was the address of the Geach?

it was indeed no 217 bosca

also according to kellys directory in 1933 the landlord was a david higgs..hope this is of help.

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you so much Lyn, quite a jigsaw puzzle this. My late father's then wife died at this address in August 1934, aged 37. On the death cert his occupation was given as licensed victualler and 217 was his place of residence. I remember him telling me he was a pub manager in Birmingham, his name was Alexander McIntyre Rorison (a Scot obviously).

bosca the only kellys years i dont have for the 1930s are 30...31 and 34 typical....what a pity but reading your story i see no reason not to think that your dads then wife died at the geach arms pub...you may have already spotted the summer lane pubs thread but if not im posting the link to it...ive posted pics of all the pubs that were on the lane along with a map showing their locations...the pics start on post 117

lyn
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29653&page=8&highlight=summer+lane+pubs

Thank you again lyn, I'm sure I will get there in the end.

pat

bosca what exactly are you trying to find out...maybe the forum can help you..actually to save going off thread you can send me a private message..

lyn

Last edited:
bosco go to the top left of the main page..click on private messages and then click on send new message...

Click on the person's name at top of post and this opens: Private Message.JPG

Click on 'Instant Message' and a page opens with a message facility. Type your message and send.

Or the way Lyn said.

Great thread! Some fascinating pictures and memories. I was wondering if any of you wonderful people out there have a picture or map location for 7 back 268 Summer Lane. I have recently found out I was born there in 1965. I was given up for adoption immediately after and having traced a couple of relatives I would loved to see where my mum (and me!) lived. Thanks.

Here is map c 1913 showing 268 summer lane in red and no 7 back 268 in blue

map_c_1913_showing_268__and_7_back_268_summer_lane.jpg

summer lane bsw on the left.jpghi roly just looking at the map mike has posted for you..compere it with this pic which has already been posted on this thread and i believe the entry between the 2 shop fronts may lead to 7/268...this pic shows theodore st on the right..the vacant space on the left corner of bridge st west used to be where the red lion pub was but demolished by the time this pic was taken..

lyn

Last edited:
Back