• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane School

Hi All
I have this photo of Summer Lane School, may have been on before, i just cleaned it up a bit.

Summer_lane_school_2.jpg

Hope this helps Regards Stars
That’s a great photo of my old school that I attended 1959-1963. It’s the front view from Summer Lane and me and a couple of friends once climbed onto that roof. I lived in Tower Street and walked down Hospital Street and after passing Brearley Street entered through the back entrance of the school in Hospital Street.

Does anyone remember my Dad, David Kevin Smith who lived in Smith Street and Little King Street in Hockley. He went to Summer Lane School from 1960 to 1964. His brothers were Ronnie, Billy and Alfie and sister Anne. His parents were Bill and Hannah (known as Annie). He would love to here from anyone that knows him or his family to reminisce about the 'good old days'.
Hello,
I used to be pals with a David Smith during that time, he eventually moved to Hall Green and married an Italian girl.

Looking at the earlier photographs, I think the Mr Edwards of Summer Lane school is the same Mr Edwards who became head of sport at St. Georges Comprehensive school just up the road - what a fantastic teacher!!! Always good for a laugh as you can see from the attached photos:-
Firstly with fellow PE teacher Mr Rogers:-
1632298951671.png

Next - in the annual staff rounders match:-
1632299342740.png

And finally - teaching us how to play tennis in the long hot summer of 1977:-
1632299412996.png
1632299449031.png

great photos mark all of my children attended st georges during the 90s and also one sister and one brother did in the 70s...unless my memory fails me mark i think the long hot summer was 1976 not 77

lyn

I'm not sure - you may be right. I know it was hot!
yes it was 76 mark...i was married and living in great barr then...very hot for months but being much younger i sailed through it these days anything above 25 degrees and i lock myself in lol

lyn

Experimental ‘healthier’ outdoor classrooms at the Boys’ Dept, Summer Lane School.
Viv.
DB6EDDEF-83BF-41EF-B8F0-4F801ABCF923.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• E9973682-4E9D-448B-B6DC-E4DC673D739F.jpeg
    E9973682-4E9D-448B-B6DC-E4DC673D739F.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 9
Looking at the earlier photographs, I think the Mr Edwards of Summer Lane school is the same Mr Edwards who became head of sport at St. Georges Comprehensive school just up the road - what a fantastic teacher!!! Always good for a laugh as you can see from the attached photos:-
Firstly with fellow PE teacher Mr Rogers:-
View attachment 161808

Next - in the annual staff rounders match:-
View attachment 161809

And finally - teaching us how to play tennis in the long hot summer of 1977:-
View attachment 161810
View attachment 161811
This is definitely Mr. Edwards who took P.E. Classes whilst I was at Summer Lane School 1959-1962. I remember him personally taking me to Cricket practice at Warwickshire Cricket Ground as part of being in the Summer Lane School Cricket Club.
I left St. George’s C of E junior School to go to Summer Lane School !.

Most pupils favourite teacher especially if you liked sport.
Many years after i left school i was having a social drink with Mr Reece ( another sport lover ) he told me that in his opinion Mr Edwards was the best teacher he ever worked with.

Most pupils favourite teacher especially if you liked sport.
Many years after i left school i was having a social drink with Mr Reece ( another sport lover ) he told me that in his opinion Mr Edwards was the best teacher he ever worked with.
Think Mr Reece was the science teacher at Summer Lane School?
Mr Creasy was my form and English teacher 1959-1962 (class 4.1 to 4.4) and I had great respect for him even at the age of 11-14 which is when I left school to go to work. Great memories of my happy school days!

Back