• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane Pubs

Well done Lyn, that took some doing. Now here is your next task. How many had their address's on summer lanelol

that is correct ray.. if memory serves me right....the vine

lyn
When I was 17 in 1956 my mates four of us had a half pint in all 14 pubs in the lane ..... drinking hours then was from 6pm till 10.30 pm so you had to rush to get the 14 done

Last edited:
In 1900 no 125, which is marked as part of the white building halfway along the Gt Hampton St frontage was T Jerome & Co, button manufacturers, but the corner (at 126) is listed as Isreal Greenberg & co, wholesale jewellers. But the map of the 1880s shows that the corner was the Birmingham Joint Stock Bank, and the Jerome button factory would have been on the site of the part of the Empire building on Gt Hampton St away from the corner
map c1889 corner Hall st & Gt Hampton St.jpg

In 1900 no 125, which is marked as part of the white building halfway along the Gt Hampton St frontage was T Jerome & Co, button manufacturers, but the corner (at 126) is listed as Isreal Greenberg & co, wholesale jewellers. But the map of the 1880s shows that the corner was the Birmingham Joint Stock Bank, and the Jerome button factory would have been on the site of the part of the Empire building on Gt Hampton St away from the corner
View attachment 155481
Many thanks. Super stuff.

View attachment 155481
My enhanced photo of the Leopard Pub opposite the bank.
FB_IMG_1617545638871.jpg

Here are some photos from a pub my dad worked at as a barman. Someone suggested it was the Rising Sun. Any information on owner, staff, etc appreciated.View attachment 98045View attachment 98046View attachment 98044
Hi ya, maybe a long shot, and a bit out of the blue, but. I have recently found out the my late father Timothy Tolley’s parents ran the Riding Sun pub in which your father worked. I never got to meet my Dad, Timothy, so any information on the Rising Sun, the Tolleys is greatly appreciated. Cheers Mike

Back