• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane Pubs

hi elizabeth although this pub was not on summer lane this is a cracking pic you have posted of the summerhill pub corner of summer hill terrace and powell st...the houses to the right of the pub have now gone but the building still stands..next time i am down that way i will get some pics for you...

lyn

My Aunts lived in Powell St when I was young, the houses were tiny, 3 storeys, 1 living room 1 bedroom, 1 attic used as second bedroom, if I remember correctly the cooker or the sink was at the top of the cellar steps,

I used to go into Hardings sweet shop and have a hot glass of Vimto,,,nehind the van is the CO-OP that my mom used I can just about remember her divi number

I used to into Hardings Sweet shop on corner next to Vine for a hot glass of Vimto-behind the Van is the CO-OP that my mom shopped at-I can just about remember her divi number

glad you are enjoying the pics of summer lane pubs goalzone and thanks for the chat about what you remember of the old days....

lyn

Last edited:
hi my husband remembers all the pubs on summer lane and there abouts but never heard of duke of quebec and he is 77 years old.

There is a photo of a Steam Fire Engine in the right photo in the second line of photos in a gallery in the forum post here. If you click on the small pic in the gallery it will link and show a much larger pic.

This picture of the bulls head brings back so many memories I lived in the first house next to it on summer lane back in the late 50s early 60s my friend maria johnson lived in the 3rd house along new summer st

This picture of the bulls head (121) brings back so many memories I lived in the first house next to it on summer lane back in the late 50s early 60s my friend maria johnson lived in the 3rd house along new summer st

hi sue...so your old house is just out of shot in that photo....glad it brings back some memories for you though..

lyn

Some one told me there was a pub on Summer Lane, The Rising Sun. Can anyone confirm this for me?

i have heard of a pub called the rising sun but not in summer lane that does not mean to say that there was not one...do you know what year it was meant to be there..

Last edited:
Yes it was the very first pub they built on wheeler street after the slum clearance facing Old Alma Street it was in the late sixtys early seventy
They built a little parade of shops first I surprise it could be called the Arcade a small batch of shops then a little way up they built that pub
I lived around the corner in berners street right next to the union pub many moons ago
And when they built that little shopping Arcade the shops was to let brand new property's I was going to buy one
And open up a chippie shop but some one beat me to it
And at that time there was not so many houses built it was the early days of development they put those shops in and the pub
At first it was really flush with carpets and high standards but like every think it went down hill and the new houses was being built on Gerrard street
And the druggies came in but then it declined and I know it as had a named changed that many times it probably more times than I have had hot dinners
And lost count the pub still standing today but what name I do not know ,I do pass from time to time
But that was the name of the rising sun and at that period I thought it was a funny name to call it being in a area and street
For old summer lane and knowing the area like the back of my hand as I was born and bred and dragged up in that part
And my ancestors was born and brought up as well as my great great father openend a little cafe with a big roast of meat on a Blazing
Burner and they hello me he wore the big white cheffs hat standing there and my grt grand father started off earning money by
Selling sandwiches and quarter of tea to the night workers going into work at Luca,s then he earned enough to open the shop
This was during the war years Astonian,,,,,,

hello alan the first and only pub built in wheeler st after the clearance was as topsy said the man o war..my mom worked there in the early 70s..it was demolished quite a few years back now and nothing has been rebuilt on the ground.

lyn

Last edited:
Back