• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane Pubs

hi duval...thanks for the info on the royal george...thats very sad news indeed...i myself have not heard of a pub called the duke of quebec on summer lane but that dosnt mean to say there was not one...i wonder would it be possible for you to post a pic of it on here for us please...i thought i had posted a pic of every pub that was on the lane in the 60s..maybe a kellys look up would help us....

cheers

lyn

I can't find a "duke of quebec" in my directories in the 1960s, though, as you know, the names were not always listed.
Mike

thanks mike...i shall ask our dad if he has heard of it....hes never lived more that a ten min walk from summer lane and hes 81 now...

lyn

Lyn I suspect you've got a copy but for anybody else interested in this thread there is a super book worth tracking down called 'Pub Memories of Summer Lane and Newtown'.

I can't find any reference in my books to a pub called the Duke of Quebec though and have never heard it mentioned

Bob

hi bob...no i have not got that book so i have noted it down as one to get....i am covinced (but always stand to be corrected) that the duke of quebec was not in summer lane...i have asked duval if its possible to post a pic of it....thanks for searching your ref books..

lyn

Lyn,
A book I have lists all known pubs in England,with the meaning of the name,and the only Dukes listed are Buckingham and York,can't think there was ever a Duke of Quebec,even in Quebec,there was a French Duc who seemed to be the gaffer there.but General Wolf and some fun loving British soldiers took it away from him.:D
My old man said he never knew a Duke of Quebec,in the lane,and he worked there from 1928.:rolleyes:

bob..here is a pic of the trees you mentioned...its no longer there...

lyn..

Attachments

• Hockley The Trees Hockley Hill.JPG
    Hockley The Trees Hockley Hill.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 15
The only similar name I can think of in the area is "The Marquis of Lorne".
It's not a Duke,it's Lorne not Quebec and it was in Newtown Row and not up the lane.
Otherwise it's identical.:rolleyes:

ray...i think we can only hope that a pic is posted of the said....duke of quebec:rolleyes:

lyn:)

Last edited:
ray...i think we can only hope that a pic is posted of the said....duke of quebec:rolleyes:

I asked my father in law Friday if he had heard of a Duke Quebec in Summer Lane or town in general and he cant recall such a name. Marquis of Lorne was on a corner and postal address was I think Cecil Street.

hi mike..thanks for asking:) you are right the marquis was on the corner of newtown row and cecil st....i am pretty sure ive posted a pic of it on the forum

cheers...

Yes Lyn,
You did post a photo.of The Marquis of Lorne.When I told you the story of the beer pumps.:)

Back to the mysterious Duke of Quebec !! My thought initially was that it could be a nickname which is how many pubs are more affectionately known. The General Wolfe in Aston Rd is one possibilty but this does not tally with the proximity to the Stags Head. A closer possibility is the Compasses in Brearley St. An old landlord was Harry Hill, whose son Harry became flyweight boxing champion of Canada. Bearing in mind that boxers also often have nicknames, might he have been known as the Duke of Quebec? Clutching at straws now but you never know.
Bob

right, here we go hopefully. This pictures is on page 114 of a book called "Images of England - Newtown and Summer Lane", written by Peter Drake and Jon Glasby and published by Tempus Publishing Ltd.

the description of the photograph is as follows:'

"In West Midlands PTE days, a former Birmingham City Transport vehicle, 2966 (JOJ 966, a Guy 'Arab' IV with an MCCW body is working on its way into the city on the 7 route during 1974. The bus has just passed by the large 1960s Duke of Quebec public house and is alongside the premises of the Birmingham Settlement." (D.R. HARVEY)

As you can see from the picture the sign for Tower Street is on the wall in front of the Birmingham Settlement.

Sorry if you can't make out the wording THE DUKE OF QUEBEC, but you can see it slighly more clearly in the book I scanned the picture from.

I have also taken a new picture showing the same building which is now called Summer Lane Industrial Estate. I believe the number of the building is 315 Summer Lane if that helps aswell.

hope this is of use.

unable to reproduce personal photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
If my memory serves me well ,during the 60s and 70s the building in question was a factory producing plastic mouldings.
Moss.

this thread seems to have gone quiet since I posted the two pics of the supposed Duke of Quebec. Is there anything in the censuses of 61 and 71 that would tell us the use of the property at 315 Summer Lane?

The old picture, does look at bit pub like as it looks to me as if there are window boxes outside the windows.

In Kellys for 1964 to 1967 :
315 British. Optical Lens Co.(The), lens mkrs

315 Elliott B. Ltd. moulders . in plastics
1969 315 is not listed
Mike

hi all..well ive just caught up with the pics of the supposed duke of quebec pub...the low and high buiding on the corner was all part of the settlement and you had to enter the high part of the building via tower st...i had a couple of occasions to visit it and remember it well...so i am afraid i have to stick by my original thoughts that it was a misprint in the book....

lyn

Back