• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Suicide of Gt Gt Grandfather

Shellywoos

knowlegable brummie
Hi all
There was a family story passed down that my Gt Gt Grandfather had hung himself. ....so after many hours/weeks (felt like years) I managed to find out when he died.
He commited suicide on 13th April 1913, and hadn't hung himself but infact has slit his throat with a razor. (I was so shocked and never done this before but cried).
He was taken to the General Hospital where he was pronounced at dead...
My question is I cannot locate an actual burial for him. I have read that suicide was classed as illegal so would he have not received a proper buriel due to this.
Hope somebody can help. :0)

I know how you feel as my gt grandfather (Joseph Burridge) did the same in Dec 1913.
I was half expecting it but us was still a shock to see it written on his death cert.
I need to get to the library to copy the inquest.
Will see if I know where he is buried.
If you care to share a name we will see if we can help.

There's an article on wikipedia that mentions criminal suicide and it appears that legislation (1882) allowed for the deceased to be buried with usual rites...

I'm not sure all burial records are online, also there was cremation and again I'm not sure those records are available online.

Possibly (guessing a bit with the name) there's a mention of his suicide in the Daily Gazette.

Pjmburns it is a shock even though you don't know them personally it's still sad to think that they were that desperate. I think I have attached the image correctly....it will be great if someone does find whether and where he was buried just so we can lay flowers xx

Sorry Shellywoos. Can't see an image. It may be too large to attach. If a problem come back and we will help sort it.

I don't subscribe but if you search on the British Newspaper Archive there seem to be 4 articles about the suicide. Might be worth one of the subs available. Although I think you get some free for registering.

Thank you everyone (sorry for delay my Mothers birthday on same day as Easter Sunday...very busy ha ha)
I had a Google on the street :0(
house looks very sad compared to the others... I shall have to look in my photos as I am sure I have my great Nan with my Granddad as a wee baby in front of a house just like that style.
Also I know Arthur Parsons wife Emma was still alive however he was (I would need to check this further) in the Rifle Brigade and fought I believe in the 2nd Boar war and in India, Egypt etc... .so could it have been some kind of shell shock I wonder.
All your information is great as it is building a bigger picture now. When I am next in Birmingham i shall have to see if I can get to the ?Wolfson Centre I wonder if they will have further information about his death because the Certificate does mention of 'unsound mind' which they must have some indication of why they thought this.
Thank you again everyone...x

Thank you everyone (sorry for delay my Mothers birthday on same day as Easter Sunday...very busy ha ha)
house looks very sad compared to the others... I shall have to look in my photos as I am sure I have my great Nan with my Granddad as a wee baby in front of a house just like that style.
Also I know Arthur Parsons wife Emma was still alive however he was (I would need to check this further) in the Rifle Brigade and fought I believe in the 2nd Boar war and in India, Egypt etc... .so could it have been some kind of shell shock I wonder.
All your information is great as it is building a bigger picture now. When I am next in Birmingham i shall have to see if I can get to the ?Wolfson Centre I wonder if they will have further information about his death because the Certificate does mention of 'unsound mind' which they must have some indication of why they thought this.
Wolfson shoukd have copy of inquest but you might need to pre order it. They won't copy it for you :(
I think MWS might be right about it being on all suicides.

I seem to remember being told once that , if the person concerned was found to be "of unsound mind", then they could be buried in consecrated ground, and that this was the reason for that phrase.

i phoned up the coroners office in birmingham a few years back and for a fee of £11 they emailed me copies of the inquest...post mortem .police statements and neighbours statements on a rellie of mine...i then printed them off at home...this was a death in 1945 so it could be worth your while going down this route first as it would save an awful lot of faffing about with the libary unless you have to...please keep us informed....oh this death was not a suicide

lyn

Last edited:
i phoned up the coroners office in birmingham a few years back and for a fee of £11 they emailed me copies of the inquest...post mortem .police statements and neighbours statements on a rellie of mine...i then printed them off at home...this was a death in 1945 so it could be worth your while going down this route first as it would save an awful lot of faffing about with the libary unless you have to...please keep us informed....oh this death was not a suicide

lyn
Thank you I shall certainly give that a try first....fingers crossed xx

Back