• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Suffolk St

Thanks Dennis. I remember it more than I thought I would. I can easily remember the top end, by the West End, but had difficulty with the rest. Now I have seen the hoardings I remember quite well. I travel along there quite a bit now as my eldest daughter lives in Selly Oak. I am not keen on it as it is now, but it certainly was not the best district at any point! I shall look forward to any more pictures anyone has, in the hope that Norfolk Street turns up. This has been a really good thread for me.

Shortie

Phil - thank you from me for this link. I know the photos are later, but my gt gt grandfather worked at the Hockley Goods Yard as a foreman for many years. He was certainly working for the GWR in 1856, and was still working until the early 1900's. Several of his children were baptised at the same time in 1882 and the baptism records has them all working as 'railway servants'. (Part time one presumes, as school was compulsory by then). Although it would not have looked exactly the same, I have an idea now of how it would have looked to him. Great.

Shortie

Phil[/QUOTE]

Mike & Dennis

Concerning the photo of the GWR goods yard, I have the same photo, but mine is marked Hockley, on seeing yours Dennis I thought mine might be in error. I have done some checking and it is definitely Hockley Goods Sheds. See here,

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/hockley_goods_part1.htm

What can I say? What a Thread. From a spurious caption, a new fantastic website magically opens up new horizons to a closet railway nut (hope Lloyd isn't lurking). Thanks a bunch Phil (again!). My nerdness knows no bounds...

ive just been flicking through a book i was given last week and there are wonderful pics in it of the city centre and surrounding streets..just come accross one of the the technical college in suffolk st dated 1897 and another of the demolision of suffolk st...its a bit late now so tomorrow i will try and get all these pics onto the forum under their various threads...

lyn

Two more pictures of then and now...junction with Severn Street. The Wheatsheaf Pub. I think this the corner, but it might be opposite in what is now Lower Severn Street. The view is no more inspiring though, I assure you....

Still in Suffolk Street - or to be exact, off Suffolk Street, was Norfolk Street. I have no idea when this street went, but my 4 x gt grandmother died there in 1869 - does anyone have a drawing or photo of it please? My 4 x gt grandfather was a boat builder, so it seems reasonable that he lived near to the Wharf, but I would love to see what the street was like.

Shortie

Finally found the map I was seeking Shortstuff. It was on the Peck Lane Prison Thread and posted by Phil. 1838 Map on which you can see Norfolk Street clearly marked joining Suffolk St just where Mike said it was...sorry it took so long. Never seen a photo though...boo sob.

Last edited:
Lovely Dennis, thanks. I shall continue to look for a photo - when I get time to go to Central Library I shall have a look there, but I am not holding my breath. It would be nice though, however, the street was not a significant one, so it is fairly unlikely I would have thought that anyone would take a photo. One can always live in hope.

shortie

It's the GWR motif I couldn't fathom either Mike. Thanks be to Phil for filling me in on the Railway connection, obviously before my time. The Central goods Depot is an absolute stunner, and who would build a big shed on the side of a gantry, like in picture Three???. What's that when its at home?

But the GWR picture (page 44) is from "Central Birmingham 1870 - 1920" by Keith Turner. He of the Pub book. I'm sure it got slipped in by mistake too Mike..

Hi folks, a Brummy ex pat in Bournemouth here, the "shed on a gantry" is actually a "Goliath Seam Crane" , the shed being the crane operators position. The whole gantry travelled on rails, whereas the loads could be traversed along the gantry, to enable transfer of heavy goods between trucks or onto road haulage. A more modern take on this system is used at Container yards such as Lawley Street.

Great website, still loads to digest!!...... ps To anyone interested in the history/operation of "Central Goods" , the book "Midland Record no17" (Wild Swan publications) @£9.95 back in 2002 might be dearer now, has a wealth of information, and plenty of photos, give it a Google!!

I'll be back soon!!!

Bob M.

Phil. Dennis. I really must say that I am sorry not answering your post 38 and post 42.
I did read them but failed to answer.
Map on post 71 gives Fordrough Street as I believe it once was. Many Thanks for your Posts.

I am researching a Charles Barter (1866-1958). He lived in Edgbaston for the greater part of his life, and for many years worked at (or more likely was a partner in) a firm of Heating Engineers based at 121-2 Suffolk Street (now you can see where this is going!). The firm was based there from around 1898, trading as Benjamin Parker Limited, to at least 1928 (by then known as Bagley & Parker Limited).
Having now discovered this thread, I agree with the comments at the start that there is not a lot readily available in the way of photographs of the street during that period. But I have found more in this thread than anywhere else. The most relevant to my research are the ones in Posts 36 and 49 of the Christadelphian Hall on the corner of Gough Street. I am fairly certain that 121-2 was 2 buildings in from this Hall, which places it next door to the building still (surprisingly!) standing next to the Hall - and where there is now a car parking area. The nearest we tantalisingly get to a view of the home of this old company is Post 36, where it is probably the building at the far right (not the tall one looming in the background!).
So in this long-winded way, I am asking whether there are any other photos showing this row of buildings? Anything pre-Queensway! Many thanks.

No picture I'm afraid, but i think your supposition is correct. Below is a large scale 1889 map of the area between Severn st & Gough St. Nos 121-122 is marked in green . this si by checking house numbers and also by correlating with a rough 1952 map, which lists that area as 121-122. Have marked area which was later Christadelphian Hall in red. That definitely means 121-2 is the white building on the edge of post 36.

SuffolkStnos121122mapc1889.jpg

Thanks mikejee for the prompt response and the map. It's good to have confirmation that I appear to be looking in the right place. Now fingers crossed for a photo!

Don't think this view of Suffolk Street has been on this thread. Looks around 1960s. I've absolutely no recollection of the street looking like this and I think that's because it's so very different to what came later. Viv.
image.jpeg

The street to the left, with the ciggie adverts is Swallow St. At the time of this picture I would have been spending a whole day and a couple of evenings each week at Matthew Boulton tech. See Mikejee map post 6 above

Last edited:
WD&HO Wills made good use of that wall to advertise their products. They almost fit into a 'ghost sign' category nowadays with the ban on tobacco adverts.

The Kings Arms at the junction of Hinckley Street and Suffolk Street in 1897 and in 1907. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

viv i would have to check my notes but i think this pub was ran by one of my rellies round about the time those photos were taken and i have the second photo...they look like two different pubs dont they

lyn

Hi Viv,
Nice pictures yes i have got you correct , they are the same pubs i have got the evenidence in front of me
your first pub showing is the original one
showing the kings Arms Pub that once stood on the corner of suffolk street and Henley street 1887
Home - Brewed beer and Burton ales are advertised
THE PAGE I HAVE IS SHOWING BOTH THE PUBS
One on top of each other
and the caption is as follows
The same pub about ten years later, It is now a Holder,s establishment,
Much extented around the corner, Both Suffork street
And the King,s Arms are now long gone
great picyures viv , best wishes Alan,, Astonian..

Hi Viv,
Nice pictures yes i have got you correct , they are the same pubs i have got the evenidence in front of me
your first pub showing is the original one
showing the kings Arms Pub that once stood on the corner of suffolk street and Henley street 1887
Home - Brewed beer and Burton ales are advertised
THE PAGE I HAVE IS SHOWING BOTH THE PUBS
One on top of each other
and the caption is as follows
The same pub about ten years later, It is now a Holder,s establishment,
Much extented around the corner, Both Suffork street
And the King,s Arms are now long gone
great picyures viv , best wishes Alan,, Astonian..

Thank you for the photos, My grgrgrandfather's brother Charles Josiah Lester was the Brewers manager of the Kings Arms. I think he also lived there it's his wife Rose. He died at aged 40 in 1887 and Rose was left with 2 girls under the age of three, called Isobel and Marleen. So far that's all I have found out, if anyone has more information I would appreciate it greatly. Again Thankyou

Back