• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Suffolk St

Don't think this view of Suffolk Street has been on this thread. Looks around 1960s. I've absolutely no recollection of the street looking like this and I think that's because it's so very different to what came later. Viv.
image.jpeg

The street to the left, with the ciggie adverts is Swallow St. At the time of this picture I would have been spending a whole day and a couple of evenings each week at Matthew Boulton tech. See Mikejee map post 6 above

Last edited:
WD&HO Wills made good use of that wall to advertise their products. They almost fit into a 'ghost sign' category nowadays with the ban on tobacco adverts.

The Kings Arms at the junction of Hinckley Street and Suffolk Street in 1897 and in 1907. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

viv i would have to check my notes but i think this pub was ran by one of my rellies round about the time those photos were taken and i have the second photo...they look like two different pubs dont they

lyn

Hi Viv,
Nice pictures yes i have got you correct , they are the same pubs i have got the evenidence in front of me
your first pub showing is the original one
showing the kings Arms Pub that once stood on the corner of suffolk street and Henley street 1887
Home - Brewed beer and Burton ales are advertised
THE PAGE I HAVE IS SHOWING BOTH THE PUBS
One on top of each other
and the caption is as follows
The same pub about ten years later, It is now a Holder,s establishment,
Much extented around the corner, Both Suffork street
And the King,s Arms are now long gone
great picyures viv , best wishes Alan,, Astonian..

Hi Viv,
Nice pictures yes i have got you correct , they are the same pubs i have got the evenidence in front of me
your first pub showing is the original one
showing the kings Arms Pub that once stood on the corner of suffolk street and Henley street 1887
Home - Brewed beer and Burton ales are advertised
THE PAGE I HAVE IS SHOWING BOTH THE PUBS
One on top of each other
and the caption is as follows
The same pub about ten years later, It is now a Holder,s establishment,
Much extented around the corner, Both Suffork street
And the King,s Arms are now long gone
great picyures viv , best wishes Alan,, Astonian..

Thank you for the photos, My grgrgrandfather's brother Charles Josiah Lester was the Brewers manager of the Kings Arms. I think he also lived there it's his wife Rose. He died at aged 40 in 1887 and Rose was left with 2 girls under the age of three, called Isobel and Marleen. So far that's all I have found out, if anyone has more information I would appreciate it greatly. Again Thankyou

my rellie john downes was at the pub in 1890 up to possibly 1894 so assuming the dates of the photo are correct he is not on the photo:(never mind

lyn

The white building behind the pub used to have a Ronson shavers and lighters shop. Went in there a couple of times when I worked at Alpha Tower. AT may have been in the process of being built ((or maybe just before) the photo. Seems almost unbelievable to me that the pub was opposite AT - gone by the time I worked there. Viv.

Trafalgar House has been covered in scaffolding for years, more than 5, maybe 7 or 8 (anyone know?).

I think there were plans to turn it in to a hotel so not sure what became of that.

It is of course right opposite the huge Paradise development so the plot is probably quite valuable.

Good site for a hotel as well, right in the city centre and an easy walk to most city centre facilities, though already many hotels in the area of course with a new hotel planned to be built right opposite it (next to the Town Hall).

Trafalgar House.JPG

That site was never very busy (well not in the 1980s) I can’t remember what shops there were at at ground level except for the Ronson’s shop. Might have been a sandwich shop and a recruitment agency. It always seemed a bit out of the way. Viv.

Back