• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Suffolk St

Was your GGGgf Alfred Yeoman, taxidermist, as that is who is listed at 60 suffolk st in the 1862 directory.
I have marked it in red on the other map below

map c1889 suffolk st with some numbering.jpg

Thanks Mike for update, my gt gt etc grandfather was John Richards, probably born around 1780 ish, wife Mary. Sorry my date was wrong, he's on the 1851 census as possibly a Brass founder (difficult to read) He may have lived in a backhouse or foundry behind, I dont know. I guess number 60 is where the carpark is now? parked there many times...

Probably no connection, but in White's 1849 directory there was a John Richards , pawnbroker & brassfounder at 13 Great lister St (this directory does not list 60 Suffolk St). Could he have been a relation ? Should also note, though that in the 1855 and 1862 directories this John Richards is only mentioned as a pawnbroker

Thanks, could be? Most of my Richards family are traceable back to the Jewellery quarter or Winson Green / Ladywood area. One connection Im trying to follow up is the connection between John Richards son William and a Simon Richards (wife was Patience) who witnessed Williams wedding in 1864, I can find them on many census's, but so far can't connect. Out of interest I have traced my grandmother Alice Hardy from Ladywood, who married Samuel Richards (killed in Great War), back to about 1490 in Cumbria.

I'm trying to identify where 20 Suffolk Street would have been in 1961. If anyone could advise me how to do this, that would be great.

Below is a 1950s map showing where no 20 would be (next to no 19). Also a link to a view of what I estimate is there now
1950s map showing where 20 Suffolk St would be.jpg

I wonder if anyone can help me, I have an ancestor in the 1873 White's Directory at number 56, Suffolk St, William Kirby Price, a gas stove maker, but his home address was different. He died in 1875 but is there any way I could find out more, I wonder if it was a shop or more likely a workshop? I'd be very grateful if someone could give me more info, thanks.

56 Suffolk St is mentioned in the Bham Daily Post Aug 1870 when a Thomas Whitehead stole a pair of braces from the shop of Thomas Keane.

It is then mentioned in the Bham Daily Post Aug 1874 when it appears that there's an application by a Thomas Mitchell to sell sweets and confectionaries.

So it use appears to be changeable.

Thank you MWS for that info., I will look into that further, that could tie in with the time of his demise, what a speedy reply!

Pedrocut, MWS! what an outstanding group of people you all are, what would we do without your help, that's amazing, I'm sure I would never have found that out without your help.

On the 1871 Census there is a William Kirby Price as a gas fitter, in Aston...?oodwick Street at the age of 38.

I wonder if the shop also had something to do with his brother, Philip Gill Price, a gas fitter who died Aug 1873.

I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to find the details of my ancestors and so quickly. MWS, yes, I believe that was his brother but so much information that I didn't have, I now know where to come if I need any more info, you're all stars!

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back