• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Suffolk St

Bit more on Curzon Hall - I knew that there was more! All facts paraphrased from Chris Upton's History Of Birmingham. Apologies if this repeats other entries.

Curzon Hall stood roughly where the Crowne Plaza is now. It was the first building in Birmingham to be lit by electricity. An entrpreneur called Fred Naccabe installed it at the hall entrance to advertise his show in 1878.
Curzon Hall (1865) was an all purpose venue. Used in its early days for the Birmingham Dog Show (the oldest of its kind). It offered a mixture of circuses, minstrel shows, boxing and concerts. Hamilton's Excursions, which used animated canvases to take the audience to far-off places, was a popuar alternative to the Christmas Pantomime
From 1899, Walter Jeffs, the pioneer of Birmingham cinema, showed Edison's animated pictures at Curzon Hall.
During WWI, it was a recruitment office.

As the West End cinema, it closed in 1967

Good old Upton. There are a few more facts and pics on the "Curzon Hall Suffolk St" and "West end cinema" threads although some of the pics have been lost.

And another earlier Kings Arms shot, plus an enlarged version of one posted earlier (just showing the men hanging around the door). Note the ladder for quick egress without paying in 1897(?) and the cobbled street and tram tracks, plus the change of the design of the hanging Lamps (swoon x2). The old place had a bit of a rebuild on the side judging from the 1924 shot. God, it looks inviting...

Terrific pics Phil, Lyn, Denis & Leslam. Thank you for sharing. And I thought that this was a thread that would wither almost immediately!

The Christadelphian Hall in Phil's photo ( Post No 36) has not changed much in appearance, and neither has (but for how long?) the magical Craven Arms, which is just in Gough Street, off Suffolk St, and therefore marginally on topic (?). Wonderful pub, in a markedly different setting from the 1965 shot.

OK, it's not a pub, but it look like it could have been one if it fancied it. Besides my Granddad and Missus both worked for Dunlop, so I feel vaguely entitled, if only by proxy...

I love "before & after" shots (my teeth have never been whiter, still working on my hairline) - lovely Deco tyre shop.

This is an odd one. Billed as being in Suffolk St, but I can't fathom where it might have been, or when? And I spotted GWR stuff till I was sick...

Dennis

They would have been at the Central Good Station, where I think later BR's headquarters in Birmingham Stanier House was built.

Phil

BRBirminghamGoodsYard1.jpg
BRBirminghamGoodsYard2.jpg

BRBirminghamGoodsYard3.jpg
BRBirminghamGoodsYard4.jpg

BRBirminghamGoodsYard5.jpg

Phil
i agree that, if the picture was from Suffolk St , then it must be the Central goods station, previously the worecester Wharf Goods station. However, this was always (till BR) a Midland goods station. GWR was at hockley , and later moor St. It could be that there were facilities available at the Suffolk St site for GWR. but I can find no mention of them (though I'm not an expert on the subject). If there were no facilities, then this would mean that the picture was misslabelled. Certainly the shed doesn't look like any suffolk St shed I've seen pictures of, though it could have been off-camera. don't think it was like any I've seen of moor st or Hockley either, though, with Hockley it might have been an earlier shed that had been rebuilt. I take it dennis that it definitley was birmingham, and there is not another suffolk st somewhere in the country ?
mike

It's the GWR motif I couldn't fathom either Mike. Thanks be to Phil for filling me in on the Railway connection, obviously before my time. The Central goods Depot is an absolute stunner, and who would build a big shed on the side of a gantry, like in picture Three???. What's that when its at home?

But the GWR picture (page 44) is from "Central Birmingham 1870 - 1920" by Keith Turner. He of the Pub book. I'm sure it got slipped in by mistake too Mike..

Still in Suffolk Street - or to be exact, off Suffolk Street, was Norfolk Street. I have no idea when this street went, but my 4 x gt grandmother died there in 1869 - does anyone have a drawing or photo of it please? My 4 x gt grandfather was a boat builder, so it seems reasonable that he lived near to the Wharf, but I would love to see what the street was like.

Shortie

Norfolk st ran off Suffolk st to meet Fordrough st. It ran straight down the middle of what became the Worcester wharf Goods station, and disappeared between 1884 and 1888..
mike

Thanks Mike - I knew it ran opposite Navigation Street, but no more than that. I was rather hoping a picture would emerge, but I suspect I shall be disappointed. If it disappeared that late, the library might just have a pic, must enquire.

shortie

Can'y help just now Shorts, but I'll give it some welly tomorrow. Meanwhile a map and some before and after shots. Have you seen enough yet???

Back