• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Suez Crisis

dennis

master brummie
A good friend of mine is now compiling a book on the Suez crisis.
he would like to hear of anyone serving out there at the time, of
their experieces,he has obtained lot's of photographs and maps that he intends to publish
as soon as he has all the info complete
he has already published two books ......

The Royal Engineers & the N/S years 1939-1963

The Royal Engineers A History Of The Corps 1930-1963
Compiled By Eric Pegg and they are excellant

Hi Dennis, It depends on what you call the Suez crisis , 1951/ 55 or the Eden "Cock up 1956
that Eisenhower put the block on.My next door neighbour Brian was a Royal Marine in the invasion
force of "56, cheers most of my mates in the Suez Vets Assc; were there for the long haul, Bernard

Last edited:
my school boy friend and I lived in Milcote Road weoley castle, his name was geoff strong, he had a brother doing national service in I think the parachute regiment and he was hurt or wounded in the Suez crisis.
paul

Paul,
The para's had the hardest time,they were flown from Cyprus and dropped on the airfield,where they were met by the best Egyptian forces,who already had the airfield surounded.About 30 of them were casulties before they reached the ground(machine gunned in the air),even against overwhelming odds they held the airfield.
Meanwhile the marines were ferried across from Malta,in old rust buckets,and claim they could have swum across faster,It was a fiasco.Politicians getting it wrong again,and the military digging them out of an hole.Lions lead by donkeys,springs to mind.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi all
i was stationed in belgium at the time.allthe heavey armour on the way from
germany to the conflict put up over night on the way to the boats
at antwerp.all the flights at xmas 1956 were cancelled for leave
as the fuel was needed.we had to come home by train and ferry.it was a very rough crossing
ostend to dover

ken

3 Para led by Lt Col Crooke captured El Gamil airfield in 30 minutes, their losses were 4 killed and 4 officers and 29 other ranks wounded. They were the first and last Para unit to drop into action since WWII. 2 Para landed by sea, advanced down the canal to where they dug in at El Cap.

Barrie.

I note these posts are from 2011. Seems longer ago than 1956! I was in the RN in the Med at the time and my ship, HMS Ulysses (F17) was sent to the Suez, when the Crisis started. I remember spending two days closed up at action stations. Not much else happened to us, other than being kept busy cleaning up afterwards. Not very pleasant. Many people say that the Suez Crisis was a kind of phony war. All I can tell you is I grew up quite suddenly, during that month or so. At 17 years I wasn't old enough to vote, but they kept me and my fellow 'Junior Seamen' on board anyway.

John; still in Brum at 82!

I was there from 53 until 55 when the General Neguib and Colonel Nasser coup chucked out King Farouk, Nasser quickly stabbed his General in the back and took over, then sent the British home.
A mistake for the Egyptian people, Nasser nationalised the Suez Canal that's what caused the Brits, French and Israelis to go back in 56, if they'd stayed Nasser's later war with Israel could have been avoided.

“Eden believed that the Egyptian people would welcome a strong but benevolent British government in Egypt.”

I was in Moascar and El Kirsch but there were a lot of us in various parts of Egypt at the time I was in REME and our base workshop was in TeK but I never got there.

I was in the RAF at the time, 19 years old. RAF personnel, who it was decided should go to Suez were on stand-by with their belongings packed with what was essential. Some did go, some never went, as the Suez Crisis as it was known only lasted three days and was replaced by a UN force.

Back