• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Suez Canel Site NMA Alrewas

Bernard67Arnold

master brummie
Hi Dave, At lunchtime today I went to a meeting of the Derby+District Suez Vets Assc; one of the members
get up and said he recently had some visiters from down south and had taken them to the memorial at
Alrewas and was ashamed of the state the SVA site was in. I know it was due for a revamp, but to be honest have not been there myself. I know that you go quite often have you seen it? There is a National
meeting at Harrogate soon and the matter is being taken there. cheers Bernard

Re: Suez Canal Site NMA Alrewas

Bernard yes seen it many times, and pics, as it is situated on a corner, people walk onto the Memorial and sometimes take a short cut across the sand/blue strip causing it to look untidy, but only at times :(

Bernard few from today, you can see the footmarks on the sand as people take a short cut :(

Bernard few from today, you can see the footmarks on the sand as people take a short cut :(
Thanks a lot Dave, I think you can see the point he was making about the site, it must be being a corner plot,
I understand it has been taken up at the highest level, is the whole site under British Legion management ?
Our members do take this sort of thing very seriously indeed, and rightly so, is it OK to sent your pics to
our branch secretary?, thanks again, Bernard

Thanks a lot Dave, I think you can see the point he was making about the site, it must be being a corner plot,
I understand it has been taken up at the highest level, is the whole site under British Legion management ?
Our members do take this sort of thing very seriously indeed, and rightly so, is it OK to sent your pics to
our branch secretary?, thanks again, Bernard
Bernard I`m sure the site is not under British Legion Managment, the NMA web site should help, use any of my pics as you wish, I think to stop people crossing over as a short cut, it needs some rope barrier`s
Dave

As on the 11th Sept, looks like the sand has gone and replaced with slabs :(

As on the 11th Sept, looks like the sand has gone and replaced with slabs :(
Thanks again Dave, at least they are working on it, be interesting to see the finished product,
our Brandh Secretary is also visiting the site this week no doubt I will be hearing from him, I think it is
important that the job is done right ,these memorials mean a lot to people dont they/? thanks once again Bernard

Bernard I`m sure the site is not under British Legion Managment, the NMA web site should help, use any of my pics as you wish, I think to stop people crossing over as a short cut, it needs some rope barrier`s
Dave
Dave, it does say on the Web site the it is managed by the RBL, I could tell that by the number of
Legion people knocking about. Bernie

Hi Dave, Attended another SVA meeting today, our treasurer gave a breakdown of the refurbishing of our site.The National Committee had allowed a budget of £15,000, but the actual figure was£10,022 well under cost.They are putting a stainless steel notice on it, engraved with the names of Regiments, units, Corps etc who served in the Zone.This may already be on. Trust you are keeping well, cheers Bernard

That's good news Bernard, bet it looks good now. Will ask hubby to have a look when he goes on ride to the wall next Saturday.
Sue

Hi Dave, Attended another SVA meeting today, our treasurer gave a breakdown of the refurbishing of our site.The National Committee had allowed a budget of £15,000, but the actual figure was£10,022 well under cost.They are putting a stainless steel notice on it, engraved with the names of Regiments, units, Corps etc who served in the Zone.This may already be on. Trust you are keeping well, cheers Bernard

Ok here, will have a look today

Hi Sue, nice to "talk" again, the Suez site used to be awful, now it is one of the best, I think.Did you know the NMA is managed by the RBL, and have their own web site, take care now Bernard

Last edited:
Few pics from today

Attachments

• 2nd October 2012 Tuesday 065.jpg
    2nd October 2012 Tuesday 065.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2nd October 2012 Tuesday 066.jpg
    2nd October 2012 Tuesday 066.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 2nd October 2012 Tuesday 073.jpg
    2nd October 2012 Tuesday 073.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2nd October 2012 Tuesday 074.jpg
    2nd October 2012 Tuesday 074.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 6
Many thanks Dave, think you will agree it is a marked improvement on the old site.Will try and get over there again during the Rememberance period, my thanks once again, Bernard

Think members will agree we are extremely lucky to have Dave as our"Offical Photographer at the NMA", most of his photos have been first class, videos too and for people who cant get to the site Daves pics really brings it to life.Cheers Dave, you are a winner me old mate. Bernard

Back