• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sudan, 1885-1898

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
I have just finished reading Winston Churchill's very graphic, and detailed book (The River War, published in 1933), of the Kitchener Soudan (Sudan) campaign to recapture the Sudanese areas of the River Nile, after the fall of Khartoum, and the death of General Gordon.

In this campaign, the 1st Battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, played a very significant role, and they were right there at the final battle to take Omdurman.

At the battle to retake the Atbara Fort (April 8th 1898), two rank & file men were killed, 0ne officer and 11 rank & file men were wounded. This was a brutal battle, against an army of thousands.

At the battle of Omdurman (September 2nd, 1898), one officer was killed (Captain Caldecott), one officer and six rank & file men were wounded. Again, against thousands. Always sad when men die.

A very proud and, dare it be said, honourable reflection of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Eddie

My wife's grandmother's 1st husband fought at Atbara with the 1st Warks. He had joined in 1893 aged 19.
Served in Britain Jan 1893 - Oct 1894
Ceylon Oct 1894-Mar 1896
Malta Mar 1896 - Jan 1897
Egypt Jan 1897 - Oct 1898
East Indies Oct 1898 - Apr 1905
Home & Discharged April 1905
Received the Egyptian Sudan Medal with clasp for Atbara & the Sudan medal "Queens"
He passed away in 1916, she later remarried in 1920. Her and her 2nd husband being the grand parents of my wife.
Sadly he died in 1938, but she soldiered on until 1960.

Brian,

Your wife's Grandfather must have seen, and been involved in, some horrendous battles, during the Sudan campaign.

The vivid account of these conflicts is described in detail in the book I have just read. The 1st Battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, were fighting, what was in essence, the ISIS of their day.

What goes around, comes around.

Eddie

The more history you read, you realise the more things do not really change!
Bet he had few tales to tell, her Gran, like most of her era, never really spoke about the past - too busy trying to keep alive in the present!
Is the book a recent publication?
Brian

Brian,

I have no idea if the book is available. THE RIVER WAR was written in 1899, by then, Winston Churchill, so it was a fresh account of the happenings. My copy was published in 1933. As old as me!

I have no doubt that a local library could obtain a copy of the book if you requested it.

Eddie

Back