• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Subways

There is still this subway under Corporation Street near the Aston Expressway.

This one under the Birchfield Road in Perry Barr in 2014.

This subway in Bearwood in 2011, has since been demolished / filled in and is a pedestrian crossing there instead.

I remember the Perry Barr one very well, it was put there when they built the underpass.
It was ok at first but, like many of the other subways, it became dirty and unkempt and you never knew who might be lurking down there.
It was preferable to risk crossing the road!

There is still this subway under Corporation Street near the Aston Expressway.

This one under the Birchfield Road in Perry Barr in 2014.

This subway in Bearwood in 2011, has since been demolished / filled in and is a pedestrian crossing there instead.

I used to hate using that one at the King's Head Bearwood, when I had to catch the No 9 to my friends house in Halesowen in the early '80's, I'd much rather take my chance crossing on the opposite side of Bearwood Road to the subway, then crossing Lordswood Road to get to the bus stops. Glad it and the old toilet block have gone, the Bus Station and surrounding area looks much better today.

Absolutely - that goes through my mind too Elmdonboy. The fundamental problem with these subways is/was there's nothing in them, no shops, kiosks etc. They were poorly looked after (and often poorly lit) walkways. With no-one around they quickly became a haven for muggers. The best we can hope for is planners realised their mistake.

Viv.

Had forgotten how utterly soulless this underpass at the junction of Corporation and Bull Street was. This was it in 2000. From Birmingham Mail archives. Viv.

View attachment 120793
Wasn't this the underpass that had an entance to Lewis's bottom ground floor, where you got an escalator up to the ground floor. Opposite this entrance was a café, might have been Lewis's.

Wasn't this the underpass that had an entance to Lewis's bottom ground floor, where you got an escalator up to the ground floor. Opposite this entrance was a café, might have been Lewis's.

yes, that would be the one, there was a cafe I think and a pub maybe?

It's not there now Viv, there's a pedestrian crossing over Smallbrook Queensway which has replaced it.
I don't know when the subway went but I certainly remember it.

I have a feeling that his subway was one of the first to go along with the inner ring road

Before the Subway, Eric’s painting...

Prettying up Lancaster Circus subway in 1971. Which building was the photographer standing on ? Must be Victorian judging by the chimney pots in the foreground. Viv.

7CEAD47C-6419-49BC-8AE7-1A0DB4A0B8AB.jpeg

I don’t expect this subway still exists. Here it was being built in 1965. What a lot of effort went into building them, only to be dispensed with 40/50 years later. Viv.D677C5E9-8CAD-41A6-B1D3-FBA0C7CD0612.jpeg

I don’t expect this subway still exists. Here it was being built in 1965. What a lot of effort went into building them, only to be dispensed with 40/50 years later. Viv.View attachment 156071
I was driving through there a few days ago and was thinking, I am sure there used to be a subway here. This is the Google Street View today with no sign that there ever was a subway there. Question is, how do pedestrians cross the road? It is a long walk either up or down the hill.
1618760662088.png

I was driving through there a few days ago and was thinking, I am sure there used to be a subway here. This is the Google Street View today with no sign that there ever was a subway there. Question is, how do pedestrians cross the road? It is a long walk either up or down the hill.
View attachment 156088
You would probably have to cross at the bottom by the mini roundabout or right at the top by the church

It’s hard to balance the road safety aspect of pedestrian subways with the nuisance/places of crime/threats they became. Here some youngsters were clearing up one at Bromfird Bridge. It was only 1968, so the subway can only have been a matter of a few years old. Viv.

71D7B5F7-F361-4078-881D-851A660312DE.jpeg
678AA294-B1EB-4B9B-B23C-52AEC46887DC.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

Back