• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sturmey-Archer

brummy-lad

master brummie
Sorting through all the dust laden objects I have accumulated I came across a Sturmey-Archer Master Catalogue dated 1958. Although primarily based in Nottingham, the company were prominent all over the UK including Birmingham at 377 Bolton Road, Small Heath. The 20 acre site of the factory in Nottingham was amazing, certainly the 'golden age of cycling'.
The catalogue is 135 pages and originally belonged to my uncle who owned Keight's Bicycle Shop in Park Lane.
Their website is very interesting and maps out the full company history along with all publications spanning 100+ years.

and the master catalogue:

Attachments

• sturmey-archer.jpg
    sturmey-archer.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 12
Sorting through all the dust laden objects I have accumulated I came across a Sturmey-Archer Master Catalogue dated 1958. Although primarily based in Nottingham, the company were prominent all over the UK including Birmingham at 377 Bolton Road, Small Heath. The 20 acre site of the factory in Nottingham was amazing, certainly the 'golden age of cycling'.
The catalogue is 135 pages and originally belonged to my uncle who owned Keight's Bicycle Shop in Park Lane.
Their website is very interesting and maps out the full company history along with all publications spanning 100+ years.

and the master catalogue:

I was interested in your post about Sturmey Archer. I worked at Sturmey Archer in Nottingham between 1970 until they closed down in 1983. For a time they were part of TI Raleigh Industries on Triumph Road Nottingham and owned the Brooks Saddle business in Smethwick. Despite diversifying into a range of new products such as Aluminium alloy hubs and spider cranks shown on your link, unfortunately they could not compete with cost of manufacture of cycle gear and bicycle components such as Shimano made in Japan

I had a Royal Enfield tourer with a Sturmey Archer hub gear in the back wheel. It never gave any problems, but why did they have that annoying tick-tick-tick?

Yes for distribution in USA and Europe with all the component range now been manufactured in Taiwan

Yes for distribution in USA and Europe with all the component range now been manufactured in Taiwan
The Taiwanese manufacturing company is Sun Tour Sturmey Archer which bought all the intellectural property rights for most of the Sturmey Archer products in 1983 except the Brooks Saddle business which is still trading in Smethwick. I liked most of the all the functional range including the Dynohub. We were trying to produce a new 5 speed internal hub gear to compete against the Shimano Derailleur gears . We were also developing Aluminium Alloy based versions of existing hub components to take weight out and Al alloy new products such as spider cranks before we closed in Nottingham. There was also a powder components manufacturing division which also sold sub contract components.

My bike, bought about 1950 from Knights of Kingstanding was a gold Rudge Pathfinder with Sturmey Archer FW (four speed wide ratio) gears, I kept it and used it daily until I bought my first car around 1956.

I've a good American friend who' also an anglophile and he and his wife have restored several British bikes which they use. The pre WW2 bikes they use on day outs they dress up, tweeds and knickerbocker trousers, front basket with period picnic set.... He's also into British camping equipment from the 40s-80s and collects all the gear and uses it.

I'd guess most here would have had a bike with Sturmey Archer gears ?

Back