• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Streetly School of Equitation Manor Rd

Redwood Rose

Anyone remember the riding school in and around 1967/8. Colonel Leach. His horse Major. I used to work there and would like to know if anyone out there can remember. There used to be someone called Eric there. He was from Canada and his relatives lived not far from the riding school.

We used to ride over Sutton Park. It was lovely.

I believe houses have now been built where the riding school was sited.

Anyone remember the riding school in and around 1967/8. Colonel Leach. His horse Major. I used to work there and would like to know if anyone out there can remember. There used to be someone called Eric there. He was from Canada and his relatives lived not far from the riding school.

I rode with the colonel from the age of 5 years old until he retired and sold the yard to Mr & Mrs Willie (?) I think they kept horses their on livery.
The approx dates were from 1968/9 till I was about 9/10 years of age. The names of horses I used to ride were Swift, Sammy, Smokey Joe and squirrel (he was my favourite approx. 12.2 dapple grey welsh type pony.) I remember a man who worked on the yard (older stud groom not sure of his name) two sisters who worked at the stables with long blonde hair, and one year I was taught by a lady from Canada who I think went there to train to teach. There was also a young lad who had a grey pony who was away at boarding school can't remember his name but his pony was a dream to ride and another girl who had her own pony and I think her surname was Rollinson (?)
Not long after I left houses were built on the whole site.
If anyone has any more details please let me know. (Dawn Lyn)

Hi, if this post is still active I can add to this quite a bit, I worked at Streetly for a year or so!! I think I started riding there in about 1967 when I was 13, Col Leech was the instructor and was brilliant, my late Father used to sit in the gallery and listen to him. We did ride in Sutton Park, do you remember the "arena field"? I went back there in about 1971 when I was 17, I think in the September, I went as a working pupil to train for my BHSAI. When I first went there, the first week, there was a girl called Marilyn, I think. Not sure what happened to her but she left not long after. The second or third week another girl came called Carolyn Upton and we shared the caravan for a bit, we did keep in touch but I have lost track of her now. There was another girl there already who lived in the bedsit at the indoor school, her name was Julie, she was a little older than me and we did keep in touch for a few years but I have lost touch again. When another girl moved out I moved into the bedsit, there were two beds in there and I shared with Julie. On the other side of the indoor school was another room and an old German man lived there and worked in the yard, just looking after the horses, perhaps the Col employed him. I think there was another bedsit next to the office, not sure tho. When I worked there the Instructor was Philip Lee-Wolfe who I have come across where I live now, he was an amazing instructor! There were the usual lovely "kids" that used to be there at the weekends and holidays, I remember there were two sisters with blond hair but I can't remember there names, they were brilliant though. Does anyone remember the pony Simon who lived in the stalls, he was lethal! He would attack other horse and people if he got the chance but those two sisters could lead him round to the school without any bother, one on each side with a stick and Simon was a darling! I looked after Simon, others in the stalls but can't remember their names, Sambo (is this Sammy, a little black hairy pony?), there was Samson a big bay I think, I remember Swift, there was a really bright bay in the stables opposite the entrance, Saucey, he/she was very keen with their heels and snaked their head when you went in to feed them, but was okay, there was Saintly an old dark bay, the stables on the left, you went inside to the horses, there was a big grey called Scrooge and that's where Samson lived. There was a livery called Tickled Pink a black horse, i can only vaguely remember it and the young man that owned her. The Willey's had a chestnut Romulus and a beautiful creamello called Remus, with blue eyes,(I have a photo of me on Remus with the sisters, I think) they were in the wooden stables going round to the school. I absolutely loved him and looked after him, he was just wonderful and I still remember him with love! Don't know of any Canadian, but there was a woman called Pat she was quite tall I think. They had a house at the top of Manor Rd and round the corner I think, they all shared it, Philip, Pat and the older guy who may have been Irish. Sarah Rollinson worked with us as well for a while, think that's the surname, her father trained race horses somewhere local. Well I left when I was 18 in 1972 and I know that the Willeys bought the stables and ran it for a while but I understand that he died in a driving accident. I know that the stables have all gone now and there are houses there, I pass by the end of the road along Sutton Park when I go the Lichfield and Derby to visit family. If you post more on here I would love to see what you remember, I loved those days so much. Jane Phelps (was Hancock)

I to have very fond memories of Colonel and Mrs Leach.
My Aunty lived on the corner of Queslett Rd and Chester Rd North and was very friendly with Mrs Leach. I can remember several visits to their home which was the first house on the left going into the stables.When my Aunty went for afternoon tea it was never a case of tea bag in a mug but more along the lines of a snow white table cloth with a china tea sett, silver prongs for the sugar cubes and dainty little cakes to eat. The house was full of artefacts from their colonial lifes in India and Asia which absolutely fasinated me.Although they both seemed very aloof they were also very kind.
I was never interested in learning to ride but I loved going there at the weekends and helping to muck out the stables, each horse had it's own personality- some liked a nuzzle and attention but with others you dare not turn your back on them.My favorite job was to polish the saddles and bridles with saddle soap untill they shone.
I'm sure Colonel Leach thought I was a willing lad if not a little strange by not wanting to ride a horse.
Good memories of good people.
Mike.

Roughly when do those memories date back to, Mike? I am interested to know for how long Colonel Leach owned this business.

There had been stables on this land for a long time - certainly since the 1930s and very probably earlier still than that. Their land used to be extensive, stretching back parallel to Thornhill Road at the rear of the gardens lining that road. McLeans built Thornhill Park on much of it in the mid 1950s. I remember horses grazing on it throughout the 1940s and at that time it was a truly rural scene. The establishment seems to have had a much less grand name in those days: I always knew it as The Riding School. I suppose that, after that, activities were concentrated on the area of the large structure located close to Manor Road, before the rest of the area was eventually built on too as previous posts tell us.

Chris

I wondered why there was no grazing for the horses, very strange. The horses all were stabled and never went out. I started to take them into the indoor school to let them let off steam. I understand that when the Wiley's bought the place that the horses went out to graze somewhere.

I'm rather late to this forum, and may post it as a new topic in case no one else sees it here!

Memories of Streetly Riding School

I went there as a schoolgirl from about 1959 to 1961, with a few years’ riding experience already on the clock. There were many rides into Sutton Park, as well as having plenty of lessons in the indoor school. Does anyone remember the strange bank jump outside the school? Colonel Leech, who ran the school with a military bearing, was terrifying in one way, but quite endearing in another. I used to hang out in the school hoping that some poor kid would get bucked off, and then the Colonel would bellow, ‘Cherry – go and get on Buster!’ (a naughty grey pony). Other horses I remember by name were Brandy and Sultan – more of him later. There was also a gentle, gigantic horse of about 17.2 who was actually very pleasant to ride even though I hadn’t yet reached my full height. The two male grooms I recall were Brock, the German, who was gruff but kind. I think he had a hard time with some people who disliked Germans. Then there was George who wore brown overalls, swore a lot, talked in an unintelligible dialect and was pretty dirty, in most senses of the word. We steered a wide berth around him. Both were traditional grooms, who probably knew a great deal about horses. There was also a girl groom, whose name I’ve forgotten.

I already had a few years’ experience when I turned up at the stables, and as my parents could only afford for me to have one ride a week, I hung around in my spare time hoping for free rides in return for mucking out etc, although they were pretty well covered in terms of paid help. One Christmas school holiday I asked to take care of Brandy every morning, which meant arriving in the dark and cold. Though I didn’t have far to come - we lived over the road at no. 1 Manor Road, and my Mum used to run out with a bucket and shovel every time the rides went past and a horse lifted its tail, so she could use the manure for her roses.

Then one day I was untacking Sultan. I remember him as a bright chestnut, about 15hh and vicious. Apparently he had been someone’s pet, and was then sold to the riding school which turned him into a nightmare horse. I knew, or thought I knew, what I was doing, and held the reins up short while I undid his girth. But he managed to whip round, seize my thumb and bit the top clean off. I remember looking down and seeing that I was missing a part of myself, and blood was pouring everywhere. Brock came in, seized the reins and swore at Sultan, growling and hitting him, while the Colonel tried ineffectively to stop the bleeding. Weeks later, skin grafts later, I was back on a horse, but it had spoilt my enjoyment of the stables, and I defected to another along the Chester Road.

One extraordinary thing I remember about Colonel Leech was that when I took my Border Terrier dog Rocket to the stables, he followed the Colonel around devotedly the whole day long. The Colonel took no notice of him, and strode about slapping his long boots with his whip every now and then. Rocket, the dog, wasn’t put off. He hero-worshipped the Colonel; that man must have had a rare touch with animals.

I'd be very pleased to hear if anyone else remembers the people and the horses.

Welcome Cherry. Lovely to hear your memories. Hope other members will add theirs too. Viv.

Yes. I moved to Streetly when I was 10 and found this gem of a place. I had 11 riding lessons for my 11th.birthday. The Colonel had retired but he was still seen at the stables he was a knowledgeable and foreboding man that I never saw smile. Linda an Mike Willey took this place over. I looked after

Yes. I moved to Streetly when I was 10 and found this gem of a place. I had 11 riding lessons for my 11th.birthday. The Colonel had retired but he was still seen at the stables he was a knowledgeable and foreboding man that I never saw smile. Linda an Mike Willey took this place over. I looked after Skipper and my sister Solly I think we are the blonde sisters Carmel and Therese

Hi, if this post is still active I can add to this quite a bit, I worked at Streetly for a year or so!! I think I started riding there in about 1967 when I was 13, Col Leech was the instructor and was brilliant, my late Father used to sit in the gallery and listen to him. We did ride in Sutton Park, do you remember the "arena field"? I went back there in about 1971 when I was 17, I think in the September, I went as a working pupil to train for my BHSAI. When I first went there, the first week, there was a girl called Marilyn, I think. Not sure what happened to her but she left not long after. The second or third week another girl came called Carolyn Upton and we shared the caravan for a bit, we did keep in touch but I have lost track of her now. There was another girl there already who lived in the bedsit at the indoor school, her name was Julie, she was a little older than me and we did keep in touch for a few years but I have lost touch again. When another girl moved out I moved into the bedsit, there were two beds in there and I shared with Julie. On the other side of the indoor school was another room and an old German man lived there and worked in the yard, just looking after the horses, perhaps the Col employed him. I think there was another bedsit next to the office, not sure tho. When I worked there the Instructor was Philip Lee-Wolfe who I have come across where I live now, he was an amazing instructor! There were the usual lovely "kids" that used to be there at the weekends and holidays, I remember there were two sisters with blond hair but I can't remember there names, they were brilliant though. Does anyone remember the pony Simon who lived in the stalls, he was lethal! He would attack other horse and people if he got the chance but those two sisters could lead him round to the school without any bother, one on each side with a stick and Simon was a darling! I looked after Simon, others in the stalls but can't remember their names, Sambo (is this Sammy, a little black hairy pony?), there was Samson a big bay I think, I remember Swift, there was a really bright bay in the stables opposite the entrance, Saucey, he/she was very keen with their heels and snaked their head when you went in to feed them, but was okay, there was Saintly an old dark bay, the stables on the left, you went inside to the horses, there was a big grey called Scrooge and that's where Samson lived. There was a livery called Tickled Pink a black horse, i can only vaguely remember it and the young man that owned her. The Willey's had a chestnut Romulus and a beautiful creamello called Remus, with blue eyes,(I have a photo of me on Remus with the sisters, I think) they were in the wooden stables going round to the school. I absolutely loved him and looked after him, he was just wonderful and I still remember him with love! Don't know of any Canadian, but there was a woman called Pat she was quite tall I think. They had a house at the top of Manor Rd and round the corner I think, they all shared it, Philip, Pat and the older guy who may have been Irish. Sarah Rollinson worked with us as well for a while, think that's the surname, her father trained race horses somewhere local. Well I left when I was 18 in 1972 and I know that the Willeys bought the stables and ran it for a while but I understand that he died in a driving accident. I know that the stables have all gone now and there are houses there, I pass by the end of the road along Sutton Park when I go the Lichfield and Derby to visit family. If you post more on here I would love to see what you remember, I loved those days so much. Jane Phelps (was Hancock)
You were there when I was as I remember. Barbara Shelley was a private groom for the Willeys. So she looked after Romulus, Remus, her own grey and jaquie and Alan Roses horse Miranda a big bright bay mare. Romulus and Remus disappeared and Mike bought Dino a beautiful bright chestnut 15.3 crazy boy. I used exercise him daily, and loved him. I also used to ride Spook a crazy bay. The male groom was Ian Walker. I'm sure that the blonde sisters are me Carmel and my sister Therese.

Yes I found the school in 1967 after we moved to Chester Road. My sister and I loved it and would all our free hours there. Brocks horses were in the block next to tack room. There was Sampson a big bay who bit a few people, and a big black. Mare called Spot, school horses and Cefn a privately owned Welsh driving cob and William a beautiful 16.2 liver chestnut gelding also private. Then there was the pony shed, Simon, Silver, Sambo, Bimbo who was mine, my dad bought him from Timothy and Mandy Bourton who were at boarding school. When I was 15 I started work and looked after the block alongside the office.
Scrooby do, Swift, Skipper, Storm and Spitz later owned by Sylvia and Brian Avrill.

I rode with the colonel from the age of 5 years old until he retired and sold the yard to Mr & Mrs Willie (?) I think they kept horses their on livery.
The approx dates were from 1968/9 till I was about 9/10 years of age. The names of horses I used to ride were Swift, Sammy, Smokey Joe and squirrel (he was my favourite approx. 12.2 dapple grey welsh type pony.) I remember a man who worked on the yard (older stud groom not sure of his name) two sisters who worked at the stables with long blonde hair, and one year I was taught by a lady from Canada who I think went there to train to teach. There was also a young lad who had a grey pony who was away at boarding school can't remember his name but his pony was a dream to ride and another girl who had her own pony and I think her surname was Rollinson (?)
Not long after I left houses were built on the whole site.
If anyone has any more details please let me know. (Dawn Lyn)

1CAFE7CB-1F91-457D-869B-D4BC70F4CCF9.jpegI remember Col leech I was 12 through that winter he taught me to produce this pony. I remember Brock and George, horses saultan, venture, Patrick, Seaforth, tango and in the pony shed golden boy.

This was a horse called Texas that Col leech trained in dressage my mother used to ride him in lessons and when he was retired she brought him then he had several years of hacking and being able graze in a field. 438A8038-A024-4481-B234-793F70F08DB1.jpeg

I started at Streetly School of Equitation in 1966 after starting riding at Porlock, the Col. when I was allowed out rode Patrick and Major and the first time out ended up on the horses neck on the arena field on Storm. After which I only let the horse do what I wanted not at the usual spot as did Ms Tangye. I restarted riding again after my son saw a photo of me on Hank at Porlock the first horse I ever rode, I was not letting my son out by himself at first, he and his wife have a horse each now, myself in 1989 was offered the horse I rode he was a Gypsy Cob a Sec.D x Dales who was 9 and kept at home till he was 30, then going on having a rescue ex-racehorse who unfortunately died with a twisted gut, now a Westphalian Mare BSJA plus a Rescue Sec.D and 3 rescue Shetlands.

I'm rather late to this forum, and may post it as a new topic in case no one else sees it here!

Memories of Streetly Riding School

I went there as a schoolgirl from about 1959 to 1961, with a few years’ riding experience already on the clock. There were many rides into Sutton Park, as well as having plenty of lessons in the indoor school. Does anyone remember the strange bank jump outside the school? Colonel Leech, who ran the school with a military bearing, was terrifying in one way, but quite endearing in another. I used to hang out in the school hoping that some poor kid would get bucked off, and then the Colonel would bellow, ‘Cherry – go and get on Buster!’ (a naughty grey pony). Other horses I remember by name were Brandy and Sultan – more of him later. There was also a gentle, gigantic horse of about 17.2 who was actually very pleasant to ride even though I hadn’t yet reached my full height. The two male grooms I recall were Brock, the German, who was gruff but kind. I think he had a hard time with some people who disliked Germans. Then there was George who wore brown overalls, swore a lot, talked in an unintelligible dialect and was pretty dirty, in most senses of the word. We steered a wide berth around him. Both were traditional grooms, who probably knew a great deal about horses. There was also a girl groom, whose name I’ve forgotten.

I already had a few years’ experience when I turned up at the stables, and as my parents could only afford for me to have one ride a week, I hung around in my spare time hoping for free rides in return for mucking out etc, although they were pretty well covered in terms of paid help. One Christmas school holiday I asked to take care of Brandy every morning, which meant arriving in the dark and cold. Though I didn’t have far to come - we lived over the road at no. 1 Manor Road, and my Mum used to run out with a bucket and shovel every time the rides went past and a horse lifted its tail, so she could use the manure for her roses.

Then one day I was untacking Sultan. I remember him as a bright chestnut, about 15hh and vicious. Apparently he had been someone’s pet, and was then sold to the riding school which turned him into a nightmare horse. I knew, or thought I knew, what I was doing, and held the reins up short while I undid his girth. But he managed to whip round, seize my thumb and bit the top clean off. I remember looking down and seeing that I was missing a part of myself, and blood was pouring everywhere. Brock came in, seized the reins and swore at Sultan, growling and hitting him, while the Colonel tried ineffectively to stop the bleeding. Weeks later, skin grafts later, I was back on a horse, but it had spoilt my enjoyment of the stables, and I defected to another along the Chester Road.

One extraordinary thing I remember about Colonel Leech was that when I took my Border Terrier dog Rocket to the stables, he followed the Colonel around devotedly the whole day long. The Colonel took no notice of him, and strode about slapping his long boots with his whip every now and then. Rocket, the dog, wasn’t put off. He hero-worshipped the Colonel; that man must have had a rare touch with animals.

I'd be very pleased to hear if anyone else remembers the people and the horses.
I rode at this stable from about 1958 to 1960 when I was about 8 - 11 (ish) - I lived next to the golf club on Thornhill Road. Frankly I don't remember much from those days but I do remember the Colonel and his huge horse Major. I used to muck out the horses in return for rides. I rode a bad tempered grey pony, who I think was called Pepper, but that may be a false memory. I moved to Canada when I was 16 and have been here every since.

There was a ex Army remount called Patrick, he was lovely and you could hurt his feelings by shouting at him and didn't require use of a crop, when they retired him I was asked if I would like to have him, but I couldn't as was an Apprentice and going to Night School, this unfortunate. One of the Horses now is a Sec.D Welsh Cob Mare called Molly and was 3 days of death when arrived at a Rescue Centre after 3 weeks I was asked could I do anything with her, went and took a look with a trailer, it was taking 3 people to do anything with her, she was loose in a closed off yard she looked at me and went by herself straight into my trailer by herself no head collar. Her health needed sorting and her weight as she was a walking skeleton also mental problems.13152863_10205966389851473_1226681674_n.jpg

I've just found this thread & it brought back many childhood memories of the riding school. I was there at the weekends & during all school holidays from 1968 to around 1972 ( I think! ) I remember Carmel & Therese, Denise Turner, Julie Birchall & her brother Paul, Cristabel, Tim & Mandy. Barbara Cattell, Susan Hale, Jane ( whose Mum was Doris & who owned Freckles) Janice & Carol who married William Showell. Ponies were Golden Boy, Charlie, Bimbo, Snowball & Squirt. Horses I remember are Storm (favourite) Skipper, Slop, Sharp, Saintly, Susie, Sambo, Stubbs, one called Satan who was a lethal weapon in the stable & went to the sales eventually, Bally Moran a huge cob & Patrick to name a few. Mr Brock was always very kind & I think the horses had great respect for him. I remember being slightly in awe of Col Leech after seeing him ride a wayward horse destined for a three day event & who just would not behave in the indoor ring. He was quite elderly & frail but he told the rider to get off & he got on, back straight as a ramrod & the horse changed into a different animal. He flowed round & round the ring......those horses certainly knew who they couldn't mess about. His wife ran the little refreshment area in the early days, so genteel, they were from a bygone age. When the Willey family took over they had two Irish Setters, Lucy & Lola who sparked my interest in Gundogs. At one time the horses were put out to pasture at Little Hay & I remember having to ride Spot home at a walk which took all afternoon because she had no shoes on. The rides in Sutton Park were wonderful & in those days you could ride down Streetly Lane to the park quite safely, not sure I'd want to do it now & the gymkanas were great fun. Such happy days - Caron (was Whale)

I've just found this thread & it brought back many childhood memories of the riding school. I was there at the weekends & during all school holidays from 1968 to around 1972 ( I think! ) I remember Carmel & Therese, Denise Turner, Julie Birchall & her brother Paul, Cristabel, Tim & Mandy. Barbara Cattell, Susan Hale, Jane ( whose Mum was Doris & who owned Freckles) Janice & Carol who married William Showell. Ponies were Golden Boy, Charlie, Bimbo, Snowball & Squirt. Horses I remember are Storm (favourite) Skipper, Slop, Sharp, Saintly, Susie, Sambo, Stubbs, one called Satan who was a lethal weapon in the stable & went to the sales eventually, Bally Moran a huge cob & Patrick to name a few. Mr Brock was always very kind & I think the horses had great respect for him. I remember being slightly in awe of Col Leech after seeing him ride a wayward horse destined for a three day event & who just would not behave in the indoor ring. He was quite elderly & frail but he told the rider to get off & he got on, back straight as a ramrod & the horse changed into a different animal. He flowed round & round the ring......those horses certainly knew who they couldn't mess about. His wife ran the little refreshment area in the early days, so genteel, they were from a bygone age. When the Willey family took over they had two Irish Setters, Lucy & Lola who sparked my interest in Gundogs. At one time the horses were put out to pasture at Little Hay & I remember having to ride Spot home at a walk which took all afternoon because she had no shoes on. The rides in Sutton Park were wonderful & in those days you could ride down Streetly Lane to the park quite safely, not sure I'd want to do it now & the gymkanas were great fun. Such happy days - Caron (was Whale)
Hi Caron it's Carmel Reaney I was only thinking about you yesterday, we did have so much fun there didn't we. I remember you well . How are you?

Hi Jane I remember you I am one of the sisters that used to walk Simon to the school cos he would drag kids to the feed buckets lol. I'm Carmel Reaney and my sister was Therese.

Hi Caron it's Carmel Reaney I was only thinking about you yesterday, we did have so much fun there didn't we. I remember you well . How are you?
Hi I'm fine :) living in Ross on Wye with my 4 Golden Retrievers. The dogs have been my passion for many, many years as owning a horse was never on the radar. It's strange going back down memory lane to the riding school era, seems like yesterday when I think back & yes, so much carefree fun. I remember riding one pony bareback on Chester Road, can you imagine even thinking of that now !! How are you, Therese & I think Catherine was your youngest sister ? x

Back