• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Street Name Origins

This is most likely a misspelling of Erasmus Road, which runs from Stratford rd (almost opposite Kyotts Lake Rd) and Aukland Rd (at its Kyrwicks Lane end), which although some distance away came under Aston registration district at the time.
To quote from https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-s/sparkbrook/ :
(A) country house, Fair Hill, stood between Priestley Road and Larches Street. This was the home of Joseph Priestley until it was destroyed in the 1791 Birmingham Riots. Priestley was minister of the New Meeting in Birmingham and an experimental scientist with his laboratory at Fair Hill; he experimented with electricity, isolated oxygen and invented carbonated water. After the riots Priestley left for the United States and never returned. A stone tablet on the side of No.10 Priestley Road commemorates the man and the site of his house. See 1791 Birmingham Riots.
The house was rebuilt as the Larches and the home of Dr William Withering and later of Thomas Attwood and subsequently of the Galton family. It was demolished c1871. Erasmus Road marks the route of the drive to the house. The site was built over with housing in the 19th-century and again in the 1960s.

Erasmus Road.jpg

Hi Mikejee and Lloyd
I am grateful to you both. I would never have got near Erasmus.
Now, another leaf on the tree can be confirmed.
Regards to you both.
OldBrummie.

can anyone help me decifer where this road is please and what it is called, I can understand Bordesley. cant decide if its a work house or something else ? hope street maybe ?
im looking at the Loyd family on the right hand side

Hi Antisaban
Theophilus vaughton ,a captain in royal marines was over looked in the street naming but across the mosely road and close to camp hill
Erasmus road brings to mind Erasmus Harris caught on, whom was a Lieutenant in the 11 the regiment of infant try
The Vaughtons seem to have been related to the Oughtons or Houghtons family from the early Eighteenth centuary and the nearby Houghton road
Highlights this bond,
It is probably Named after a vaughton. Houghton as for Vaughtons Hole,,,,,,,, that was filled in and disappeared a.long with pudding Brook
Happy new year to you for 2015 best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,,,

Hi, I lived in Turnberry road, great barr, and most of the roads around were named after airfield`s ( Duxford, Thetford, Foden, Mildenhall and Turnberry.

Hi, I lived in Turnberry road, great barr, and most of the roads around were named after airfield`s ( Duxford, Thetford, Foden, Mildenhall and Turnberry.

hi simmo thanks for that info i had no idea those roads were named after airfields.....i used to live in cramlington road during the 70s no idea where that name came from though

lyn

Yes Lyn, Cramlington was also an airfield in north east of england, Calshot and cardington also RAF bases.

Yes Lyn, Cramlington was also an airfield in north east of england, Calshot and cardington also RAF bases.

well i will go to the foot of our stairs simmo...just goes to show we are never too old to learn.

cheers

lyn

Hi All,
Does anyone please know why Princip Street is so named? I doubt if it has anything to do with the man named Princip who murdered Arch Duke Ferdinand therefore triggering off the First World War.

Old Boy

Extracted from Bill Dargue's post #24 above

Princip Street B4
Or Princep Street was laid out by 1792 and named by 1820 after the family who owned the land from the early 18th century.

Interestingly, it's suggested on the net that the name seems have Bosnian/Serbian connections. Viv

Does anyone know the origins of Court Lane and Goosemore lane, Short Heath end of Erdington? Is anybody keeping a record of the streets that have disappeared as I notice a lot of references to streets/roads etc which have gone because of an areas modernisation.
Bob Davis

H Bob, William Hutton stated that Gosta Green derived from Goose stead and it`s use was in decline.
He was wrong on both counts,and the name survived into the later 20th century .
Gossemore Lane, Erdington was originally spelled Gosemore and has the same derviation as Gosta Green.
Best wishes Astonian

H Bob, William Hutton stated that Gosta Green derived from Goose stead and it`s use was in decline.
He was wrong on both counts,and the name survived into the later 20th century .
Gossemore Lane, Erdington was originally spelled Gosemore and has the same derviation as Gosta Green.
Best wishes Astonian
Very many thanks
Bob

Hi DaJ
Its a long story to be told but Mott street is just across from Great Hampton street
William mott of Lichfield, who is named in a Document relating to all the small brook lands in birmingham in 1808
so thats how we got mott street
I do have the book relating to william mott and his siblings of marrige and the smiths family had no children
Nor did the two children of there youngest brother
General richard vyse of lichfield whom married Ann Howard he fought in wars that followed the French revoloution
of1789 and five years later distingguisshed himself in the battle of LE CATEAU In1794
Where he led two brigades of heavvy calvery
the vyse lands in and around Hockley were developed in the early years of the nineteeth century
by the generals son Richard williaM Howard vyse
Of stoke park in Buckingham hence Howard street ,Buckingham street ,which along with spencer street
and northhampton street, and vyse street which along with spencer street was described as newly laid out
In A Deed from 1827 he is also remember in pitsford street and northhapton street
which highlighted the family in pitford, Northhampton
hope that as given your answer to mott street i never started from the generations of his relations
whom was thomas smallbrook and william colmore and william colmore died afew years later
after a court case despite there was bad blood between them
best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,

Hi DaJ
Its a long story to be told but Mott street is just across from Great Hampton street
William mott of Lichfield, who is named in a Document relating to all the small brook lands in birmingham in 1808
I do have the book relating to william mott and his siblings of marrige and the smiths family had no children
General richard vyse of lichfield whom married Ann Howard he fought in wars that followed the French revoloution
of1789 and five years later distingguisshed himself in the battle of LE CATEAU In1794
the vyse lands in and around Hockley were developed in the early years of the nineteeth century
Of stoke park in Buckingham hence Howard street ,Buckingham street ,which along with spencer street
and northhampton street, and vyse street which along with spencer street was described as newly laid out
In A Deed from 1827 he is also remember in pitsford street and northhapton street
hope that as given your answer to mott street i never started from the generations of his relations
whom was thomas smallbrook and william colmore and william colmore died afew years later

Thank you very much Astonian. I can now do more research.

Thank you very much Astonian. I can now do more research.
Hi DaJ

Astonian, you mention in your reply information in a book you have. Is a Martha Mott or Samuel Mott mentioned in your book?

Thanks again.

Hi DaJ
IF you bear with me for the next hour i will take another look for you,
There is a few names mentiond regarding his family ,
If you recall i said i have missed alot of the begining of the motts to get the bit you was requesting to know
about the naming of mott street
Its not much trouble for me to pick up my book and check with the names okay DaJ
DAJ, I know you are researching the mott name i presume, aand if you are ,I dont know whether or not
thereis a Mott family with history was in brum and there is mott in worcestershire whom are high flyers
and still holding rank and file within this day society and these are the ones i know as well
but any way come back on in about an hour and i will say whether or not the two names
you required was in there, best wishes Astonian,,,

Back