• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Street map help please

Shortie

master brummie
I am attaching a plan of Camden Grove, in the Jewellery Quarter. I am puzzled as to certain markings on the plan, can anyone clarify please? What are the criss-cross markings? If you look at the middle of Gough Place, for instance, there are strange diagonal lines. there are in other places too, in larger squares. I am sure the answer is going to make me look really stupid for asking such a question, but does anyone know?

Shortie

Sorry, for some reason I cannot upload, perhaps the file is too large.

Last edited:
I did think that initially Bernie, but in other parts of the plan, there are clear alleys. That is why I was baffled.

I did think that initially, John, but if you look off Legge Lane, the Pen Works has a large one the same - surely that cannot be a brick division that size?

Shortie looking at the map i would say they were tunnel alleys and open alleys also i notice that some of the front houses have an escape alleys to the back.Dek

Thanks Deka, that makes sense, I guess, Alleys under rooms had not occurred to me - I expect some of the larger ones are where horses and carts would be able to reach the back parts of factories and such. Not thought of that one at all.

Thanks to all who offered assistance. The picture has become fairly clear now.

shortie

Thanks John, what I was seeing that in some places there are clear entries, I had completely forgotten entries between houses that would have had a room or a bit of a rooom on top. The whole picture becomes much more clear now.

Shortie - On Post #1 you attached a plan of Camden Grove which has now gone. Would it be possible to put it on again please, as I have just found some of my family living at 3 Court, Camden Grove in 1901 and at Clifton Grove, Legge Lane in 1911. Many thanks if it is possible.

Judy

Yes Judy I will do that, but not sure where I have put the plan at the moment. By rights, it should be in my file, so with luck you will get it very soon.

Shortie

Thanks Shortie, I appreciate any help. Just found one of my Nicolls ancestors living in Camden Grove!

Judy

Judy
Don't know what the map was exactly that Shortie put on - I don't seem to have saved it (or my "filing" system is off, which is more likely) but possibly these would help, an 1889 map of the area around camden grove and an enlarged version of the grove. Can't see clifton grove.

MAP_C_1889_CAMDEN_GROVE.jpg

map_c_1889_AREA_AROUND_LEGGE_LANE.jpg

Mike - Thanks so for the 1889 maps, they are much appreciated. Shortie has now emailed the same maps to me. I made a mistake in my excitement - I should have said Clifton Place not Clifton Grove, and this is shown clearly on the maps, very near St Paul's School. I wonder if Court 3 was Clifton Place? I think these maps are fascinating and it is great to be able to see where your family lived all those years ago.

Judy

Judy: My grandparents and mom lived in Gough Place, the next one to Clifton Place. Sometimes listed as Camden Grove, sometimes Camden Drive!
Kathleen Dayus was in the next court to my gran. so that may have been Clifton Place.
Sadly, I think my picture loads are failing!

Thanks for the information Charlie. I have all of Kathleen Dyas's books which I read some years ago, now I have found a connection to Camden Grove and Clifton Place I will read them again with renewed interest. Living so close to each other, your grandparents might easily have known my family don't you think?

Judy

Judy: Almost certainly they knew each other - everyone knew everyone else in those days, and knocked on the wall if they needed anything.
My grandparents are the Chapmans, mentioned in the Kathleen Dayus books.

Judy: My grandparents and mom lived in Gough Place, the next one to Clifton Place. Sometimes listed as Camden Grove, sometimes Camden Drive!
Kathleen Dayus was in the next court to my gran. so that may have been Clifton Place.
Sadly, I think my picture loads are failing!
Hi my husband’s Grandparents lived at 19 Gough Place - Thomas and Alice Poolton.

Back