• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Street Location Handsworth

P

Premo

Hi

I have been looking for an old map of Handsworth (1925) that might show the following address, Ashfield Terrace, Alfred Street, Handsworth, Birmingham.
I have Googled it but no luck there.
Does any one have an old map that shows the location of this Street?

Many Thanks, David

I found a Alfred st, in Aston, which ran from Church Rd to Grosvenor Rd, not far from Lovers Walk.

Alfred St Handsworth was off Wattville Road, down past the railway, getting close to Downing St which was Smethwick. I've looked in a few older directories and can't find any Ashfield Terrace. They were almost all smaller residential properties, a shop at No 9, and a beerhouse at No 49.
This 1889 map shows the street in some detail.
Peter

Alfred Street

Thanks Peter & Cromwell

That’s just what I was looking for.
Ashfield Terrace was a small row of houses running of Alfred Street.

David

Street Map Handsworth

Thank you Cromwell, I have copied the map.
The place I was looking for was number 4 Ashfield Terrace, Alfred Street, Handsworth; it’s where my dad was born in 1923.
I must say the detail in Peter’s map is really good, where can I get a map like this and what area is covered.

Thanks again for your help, David

Edgbaston Maps

Does anyone know which of Alan Godfreys Maps covers Edgbaston? Thanks

Maps

The Brit History site is great isnt it, so much info and maps. My only criticism is this, if you have the whole map its far better because you can get a much better perspective on things. I have a few of the Godfrey maps for Brum at 2.20 each theyre a bargain and give you a real feel for things in the early 1900's

Could not agree with yo more Rod....plus on the back of the map their is other info like Kelly's Dir.and local history etc.

Thanks

Thanks for your comments, the map has been dispatched to me so will have a good look when it arrives. I should really concentrate on tracing the family line more but keep getting distracted as want to put some more meat on the bones! There is just not enough time in the day!

Most Impressed

I ordered my map at 3.43 yesterday and have just received it in the post! very impressed!:)

Alfred Street B'ham 21, was still around in my Street Guide for the late 60s

Last edited by a moderator:
Alf, type into Google Earth(Downing Street handsworth birmingham england) and follow it up to the railway. Or (alfred street smethwick england). Alfred street is still there just as it was but no houses just factories. It's on the latest version of GE I don't know about the older one.
Yes Rod, I see what you mean. But it seemingly has most of the UK on it and as you cen see the purchased maps seem to be based upon it. Peter would know more. The more I use it together with GE the easier it becomes. If you know the area you can type into the yellow space say (Handsworth) and it will give all the maps with that designation for you to choose from.
The Birmingham area is a bit tricky though, with Warwickshire, Staffs, and Worcestershire so intermingled. One of the bonusses on the computer is that you can zoom in and out both on the site and with your wheel mouse by holding the control button down and rotating the wheel.

Last edited:
Back