• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Street furniture

There’s weren’t many K2’s installed outside London, so I doubt there are any examples left in Birmingham. Viv.

The iconic K6 red telephone was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of the coronation of King George V in 1935. Around 60,000 examples were installed across Britain, which is why the K6 has come to represent the red Telephone Box. Over 11,000 K6s remain, however, most are no longer in use. In Birmingham only a few remain and in fact the last working phone was disconnected only in May 2018 in Temple Row West. [from Birmingham Conservation Trust 6 July 2018]

Attachments

• red phone box.jpg
    red phone box.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 9
There are the boxes next to the Council House in the passage from Colmore Row to Edmund Street. Disconnected now, part of the group was used as a coffee shop a couple of years ago.

Hi,

I understand that the components of the K6 boxes were cast in Scotland,
at the Lion Foundry and the Carron Foundry ( of carronade fame).

Kind regards
Dave

Hello is zat you?:grinning:

There was a time on most of the city center concrete bollards that were normally near to the street corner the bollards main aim was to stop Lorry's or Buses hitting the weary public if they were near to the corner (sorry if I teaching my granny to suck eggs) my point is that they (the concrete Bollards ) are as rare as rocking horse droppings in today's Brum , there are plenty of metal ones about,

The other day I saw a photo of one on Flickr and asked the person who took the photo where the Bollard was in Brum, it appears that it could? be in Edgbaston, I have scoured Google Earth but I cannot find it, at the time of typing this missive I aint had a reply to my request sooooooo does any one know where this is please, pretty please with knobs on, the master plan is when I find it I will take my box brownie and add it to my collection of stuff

To be honest the road does look familiar but as yet I know not where
It says Frederick Road on the road sign opposite....I looked on Street view, It's on the corner of St James Road,and it is still there,but has been painted white.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 16.13.21 - Edited.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 16.13.21 - Edited.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
It says Frederick Road on the road sign opposite....I looked on Street view, It's on the corner of St James Road,and it is still there,but has been painted white.
I was surprised that this one was still here. I worked in that building opposite nearly 40 years ago. Stoney Lane / Alfred Road

Attachments

• 20210304_192303.jpg
    20210304_192303.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 15
Just seen an old mileage post in stone but I was racking my brain where as we don't go anywhere now! It is on the Kenilworth road towards Coventry indicating the mileage, low on the ground. I had just been for my jab in Stoneleigh.

I remember the one on the left. Ours were green gaslamps. In shall we say other areas, children would swing on them with parcel twine in to the road . They have made some reproduction ones here to commemorate the watching making quarter and some of those houses they bulldozed to widen the road (which has not helped as it is a bottleneck) . The new lamps come in half and the top half bends down to be serviced.

This is not Birmingham, but nearby in Dimmock Road, Wolverhampton. This photo is from a Facebook page, and still there in Streetview dated August 2020. Let's hope any of these old signs remaining stay in place and are not lost

Dimmock st wolverhampton..jpg

Back