• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Street furniture

The lamps on the Springfield/Sparkhill bridge certainly give it a prescence Dave. Did the lamps provide a guide to vessels passing underneath at night. Or were they intended to light the way for pedestrians? Or both? Viv.

The lamps on the Springfield/Sparkhill bridge certainly give it a prescence Dave. Did the lamps provide a guide to vessels passing underneath at night. Or were they intended to light the way for pedestrians? Or both? Viv.
I would have thought that the lamps would provide benefit for pedestrians and any traffic going over the bridge at night. As far as I know no vessels passed underneath the bridge as the River Cole was relatively shallow at this point. Dave.

Vivienne14, The Perry Barr bridge was virtually completed in 1939 but the opening was delayed by the outbreak of the Second World War. Subsequently, someone had a rethink, common sense was used and work resumed to bring about its completion. Between you and me, I can remember quite clearly the uncompleted bridge - this as I was pushed along by my mother over the old zig zag bridge! Regards. willey

The River Cole certainly wasn't navigable at Sparkhill Bridge as there was a six foot high weir about 40 yards above the bridge and the water was for most part six to nine inches deep in the region of the bridge. That area of river was my playground during the 1940s.

Maurice

The bridge shown in this photo c1930 is said to be the Aldridge Rd old bridge but I'm not sure it is.

An obvious one-way system is controlled by a distinctive piece of street furniture namely this unusual design traffic light.

zigzagtrlight.JPG

This is the view in 1900 looking from the other direction. Is the building on the left in #464 the same as the one on the right here? Most images I've seen of the ZZ bridge rarely have traffic on them. So it's hard to imagine the need for traffic lights to control the flow. The ZZ bridge is very narrow, maybe it was just to stop vehicles trying to cross at the same time. And/Or maybe there was a weight issue. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the view in 1900 looking from the other direction. Is the building on the left in #464 the same as the one on the right here? Most images I've seen of the ZZ bridge rarely have traffic on them. So it's hard to imagine the need for traffic lights to control the flow. The ZZ bridge is very narrow, maybe it was to stop vehicles trying to cross at the same time. Or maybe there was a weight issue. Viv.

View attachment 103181
That view is interesting showing the building close up to the bridge. The thing that is puzzling about the view in #464 is what appears to be a separate 'walkway' on the right of the bridge and I don't remember such a 'walkway' and the view in #465 does not show one.

Vivienne14, The zigzag bridge definitely had traffic lights controlling the traffic as late as 1939 - I remember them. Buses were using the zigzag up until the new bridge was opened. Regards. willey

Regardless of the location of the bridge in Post No.464, I'm intrigued by the SECOND set of lights right on the opening to the structure itself.

Was the first set of lights anything to do with the opening on the left to the (farm?) buildings; or maybe the second set (with only two lights it appears) lit up if you'd gone over the first set ignorantly if not illegally, and read "You There!" and "Don't you Dare!!"

....... a separate 'walkway' on the right of the bridge and I don't remember such a 'walkway' and the view in #465 does not show one.

Do you mean where the boy and girl are sitting Phil? The section of the bridge with the triangular pedestrian passing places is narrower. Maybe an attempt was made to widen the bridge. If memory serves the original bridge was ancient (Roman?) so maybe it was a bit cobbled together. Not sure I can really make sense of it either. Viv.

Regardless of the location of the bridge in Post No.464, I'm intrigued by the SECOND set of lights right on the opening to the structure itself.

Was the first set of lights anything to do with the opening on the left to the (farm?) buildings; or maybe the second set (with only two lights it appears) lit up if you'd gone over the first set ignorantly if not illegally, and read "You There!" and "Don't you Dare!!"

It it certainly would have been a blind turning at that point. There seems to be other posts/signposts on the bridge itself too. Wonder if Mikejee could oblige with a map of the bridge please - if it's possible it might be helpful to see the bridge mapped over time. Thanks. Viv.

I've had a close look at the photo and it could be some temporary structure built across the river but I don't think it is a pedestrian walkway because the whole point of 'zig zags' is one could safely get out of the way of traffic.

One other possibility is that it is something being placed across the river in preparation for the building of the new bridge which is quite close to the old bridge. Work on the new bridge started not long after the date of the photo.

I can read most of the notice which appears to be fixed to the tree 'Danger Narrow Bridge' and possibly stating a weight limit.

It would be interesting to have details about the building on the left which seems to have a wall almost joined to the bridge. I can see a building in grounds on the map link below but the map does not have enough detail..https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sid...at=52.5242&lon=-1.8940&layers=1&right=BingHyb

With all this street furniture you need street furniture cleaners like this man in the Phyllis Nicklin photo of the Ship Hotel, Bordesley. A job still done today but probably by large cleaning businesses. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
With all this street furniture you need street furniture cleaners like this man in the Phyllis Nicklin photo of the Ship Hotel, Birdesley. A job still done today but probably by large cleaning businesses. Viv.

View attachment 103229

Yes, but with only a tenth of the care and effort Viv. This guy is utilising a lifetime of work for the community.

Very true Richie.

The lamps either side of the gates of Geo Ellisons/Tufnolls on Wellhead Lane/ Aston Lane are reminiscent of those on the bridge on Aldridge Road (post #458). The Ellison/Tufnoll lamps are still there today unlike the bridge lamps.Viv.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I have a thing about out lamps too. The bridge leading to Spencer Park, Coventry was dismantled and replaced with a modern version. The old one had a iron arch over it with a single "Dixon of Dock Green' type lamp in the centre like they have still on some old church gates. I like church gate lamps very much and handsome cab lamps.

The Bridge Inn in Monument Road in 1959 with some unusually placed street furniture. Instead of being against the wall that bench looks rather close to the road, and a Bundy Clock usually near kerbs is against the wall. The cast iron urinal has it's own gas lamp which was useful. I suppose it all made sense.

index.php

Last edited:
Everything worked and worked well Phil , the streets were really clean too, bus's ran regularly and were in the main on time, and inexpensive.Paul

Don't quite see the sense of the bench being so close to the road Maybe the pavement was once much wider. A good cluster of street furniture! Viv.

The chap sitting on bench has crutches which stretch over the kerb, he certainly would be safer if the bench was further back. That shop on the corner has rather large glass windows, they must have sold something they wanted everyone to see ...

Hi viv
I can recall that bench from way back and the channel bridge that's where we all started from to roam the channels
And that's the exit gate to walk down onto the canal it was a very steep slope to walk down to the tow paths
It was that exit gate and at the bottom of that part of the canal where I ran and fished out of the cut
My friends little brother the little lad was about 7 years old he fell into the cut it was my mates little brother
Whom shouted to me about him I dashed a,long and pulled him out is name was steven I would imagine he is still alive
I cannot mention is surname as you know on the subject of the bench that was put there for the bus drivers to take a break
Whilst they wait on the Bungy clocking and skt down and stretch there legs and the pavement was always narrow
In and before that period next to the bridge pub was the post office and the large windows at the end was ledsam street
They used to del baby things and push chairs, PS . sorry to have missed your birthday best wishes Alan Astonian,,,

Mike the bus drivers always pulled up short or just passed the bench so they could step of the bus and walk to the clock
Put his key in and light a fag for a minute or two but some times he would take longer it all depended
On the other drivers the one in ahead of him or just how far back the next one coming but in those days the number eight was a bad service for timing especially at tea times when people was coming out of work at five o'clock
You could garentee you would get there coming together and more often than not they would have the sign changed stating to
Terminate at Hockley
Brook garage or sherbourne red bus garage

Myself I would think the chair was put where it was because if it had been put against the canal bridge young children would possibly have used it to climb up on the bridge parapet thus endangering themselves. Well it's the sort of thing I would have done at about 10 years of age,

Hi Phil
Fair comment on that way of thinking had they put the bench against the wall the kids of that age would not be able
To climb on the bench and reach up to the parapet as it was indeed a very high wall faced you could not reach the top of it not even a adult. Nor could you see over the top as you was walking past it I was a kid myself around that age and the other lads
Whom was about twelve we used to go on the cut virtually most days aweekand more so Sundays a gang of us
We all lived about four hundred yards from it most of the kids in the area all used to go along the cut
To find things to do messing about with the barges or the locks plus the fact we had all the area to roam around the area of ledsam street and surrounding street mooching in the bombed out houses and this is years before the slum clearance came
Around and our friend mossy will tell you the same he grew up in our neck of the woods
As he lived in Shakespeare road where the cannals run behind the road he lived on behind the houses
May I say as well if they put the bench against the wall of the bridge it was lesson the pavement space
And it would force people really close to the kerb and that would have been a disaster for accidents to happen
When the busses pulled in close to the kerb but yes its logic not to put it by the wall like you said about kids climbing but standing on it it was impossible for anyone to reach the top of the wall it was a high black wall
Where you see the gate by the pub that was only put on in the sixties and looking at it you can see the pub garden wall
That was always where the public always went down the canal to take the short cut to sheepcote street and into ryland street
By the seventys they blocked it off and put a series of stereo steps down the other end of the bridge for the local residence
To there home it was a short cut for them when they got off the number eight bus to light thorn avenue and barker street
Best wishes as always Phil keep the god work you and Lynn are doing for us all. Alan. Astonian......

Looking at the pic of the Bridge Inn and environs I suggest that kids had no need of the bench to climb the wall. There seems to be a ledge up about 3ft. from the pavement and the Bundy clock would give ample leverage to get onto that small ledge. I guess it was done thousands of times by inquisitive children. The position of the bench, so close to the kerb, is I guess unusual, especially as it is at a bus stop with a very frequent service. But as it was a compulsory stop maybe it was not considered a danger. One reason for the location of the bench could have due to the closeness of the urinal. It could be a question of modesty for ladies as they most likely would not wish to see men, often after a few pints, adjusting their dress as they left the urinal!

While on the subject of street benches, Historic England (formerly English Heritage) has guidance on pieces of street furniture. Re. benches it says :

image.jpeg

Do we have any Birmingham examples which should be brought to their attention? Think it's worth keeping eyes peeled. If you spot any, do mention it here and I'd be happy to contact Historic England. Viv.

Back