• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Street furniture

Am I imagining it, but did some cigarette machines sell packets in 19's instead of 20's if they cost more than half a crown for 20?

Some great memories coming out here. Here's a Senior Service machine. I think it says 2/6 beneath the slot. Surprised they were so easy to break in to. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390494954.911703.jpg

It amazes me that most shops had their goods protected only by a pane of glass.
I can remember looking at watches in the jewelers window, couldn't be done now.
I once went to a party were they had a full and working cigarette machine on the sofa.
I didn't ask any questions!

If you did a quick in and out you sometimes got 2 packets out as I got some for my grandad. They may have been Embassy or Kensitas. I have heard of some packets not having the full 20. When I was in Greece they would sell you just 1 fag if you wanted. Not smoked since I was 15 though.

Bill, best to let sleeping dogs lie or in this case, let fag machines lounge! Nico don't think this lady was trying the two for one trick, but it did remind me of how useful cigarette machines could be, not just for fags, but for the essential glance to check hair and makeup when out and about. Look at the gloss on that chrome. A work of art.

I remember when you could go to a corner shop and but one or two ciggies, usually Woodbine I think, but I'd have been only about 5 at the time and I hadn't started puffing at that stage! I remember my grandad sending someone to get them. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390499858.597116.jpg

Quite the contrary the end of RPM was headline news and lead to price drops on things like books for example.

However we seem to have drifted off topic I feel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Since this thread started I keep noticing street furniture in the old pics and Perry Barr had it's share.
I've made two existing forum pics appear here and the first pic has a fire telephone point on the near corner, and look at that pub lantern on the left.
The second pic has a bundy clock that kept the tram drivers on time.
index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Bill, best to let sleeping dogs lie or in this case, let fag machines lounge! Nico don't think this lady was trying the two for one trick, but it did remind me of how useful cigarette machines could be, not just for fags, but for the essential glance to check hair and makeup when out and about. Look at the gloss on that chrome. A work of art.

I remember when you could go to a corner shop and but one or two ciggies, usually Woodbine I think, but I'd have been only about 5 at the time and I hadn't started puffing at that stage! I remember my grandad sending someone to get them. Viv.

View attachment 90773
We had a brass plate on the lift at work and the posers all did their hair in it.
In the last post with the beautiful ornate pub lanterns they are something I really like, also frosted pub windows which might count as Street Furniture and ornate chimney pots and leaded windows and boarded houses..

Since this thread started I keep noticing street furniture in the old pics and Perry Barr had it's share.
I've made two existing forum pics appear here and the first pic has a fire telephone point on the near corner, and look at that pub lantern on the left.
The second pic has a bundy clock that kept the tram drivers on time.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I have tried to blow these up OldMohawk to see what the everybodys advert was on the trea and in the other photo, does it say To The Car Parl? Now it would say Carpark or just P. On the tram bottom is that a cow catcher or a snow plough? I do lik these old pictures, Nico

Well spotted Phil. Re your first pic. The lantern is a great addition to the pub and street. I always think about the craftsmen who produced these things. When you see them reproduced today, but using the old skills, you realise how skilled people were to do this without the aid of more advanced technology. Hadn't clicked that there's a telephone pillar on your photo 'til you mentioned it, but there's also one on the later photo in front of the of the big Old Crown & Cushion which replaced the Crown & Cushion Inn (left) in your photo.ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390516894.424104.jpg

Nico the sign says 'To the garden' , the garden being where, I presume, the big Old Crown & Cushion (photo above) was built to replace the Crown & Cushion Inn in Oldmohawk's first photo. Blimey, how confusing is this getting?! Viv.

I have tried to blow these up OldMohawk to see what the everybodys advert was on the trea and in the other photo, does it say To The Car Parl? Now it would say Carpark or just P. On the tram bottom is that a cow catcher or a snow plough? I do lik these old pictures, Nico
I think it says (if you are referring to the sign on the left of photo) 'To The Garden'.

As far as I am aware the guard at the front of the Tram was simply to prevent people or animals being swept under the body of the tram. As far as I am aware Cow Catchers are not nor were, a feature of vehicles in the UK whether on road or track. I am happy to be proven wrong on this point if one of our tram aficionados can add to this.

Travelling a little further along Birchfield Road, towards Perry Barr Odeon and the City Centre you come to a short 1930s parade of shops on the left. Can anyone make out what these two items (red dots) are?
(Photo from the 'Birchfield rd shops Perry Barr' thread). Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390518708.391765.jpg

Tricky one that Viv, The one on the left could be a side on view of a cigarette machine, and the right hand object look like a display board for advertisements. The ones where you hand wrote a post card

Looks good to me Morturn. Now you mention the postcard ad board, I think I've seen slim ones like that in other photos. It looks almost like a bus timetable stand, but I discounted that as it's too far back off the pavement. The cigarette machine looks possible as some were long machines right down to the ground, and it's in the right place. Thanks Morturn. Viv.

Certainly not known as cow catchers: even in the States they were not always called that.

There is a correct name for them, such as safety rail. I will see what I can find out later but right now I getting ready for a bus ride to Torquay - I go there about once a year, which is enough as I don't care for large places. Parking is a nightmare in towns as most know and not having to keep looking at my watch to see how long I have been parked makes visits more pleasurable. :biggrin:

Were there ever any drinking fountains in the street such as the ones that used to be in parks?
rosie.

We referred to the cage on the front of Trams as Cow catchers, they made a loud noise when they came down, I remember seeing a dog caught in one on Garrison lane.

Were there ever any drinking fountains in the street such as the ones that used to be in parks?
rosie.
Hello Rosie, there is one, Victorian I think, at the start of Styvechale Common, in Cov, which is not a park. There was talk of restoring it to working order but it will cost a lot. In Malvern they have all been restored I think. The residents and businessess of Earlsdon here banded together to restore the street clock. I have seen ancient ones on the continant not always in hot places.

I was speaking loosely when I said cows but I imagine they might have been there to prevent any 'obstacle' on the tracks getting underneath. Hope they go the dog out. Not for snow then as they are a bit like what is on our neigbours' roof but bigger? Nico.

As well as drinking fountains what about old ornate street clocks as my fountain post reply? There is another beautiful old clock in Cross Cheaping and the one in Hertford Street has gone. Ir was more retro looking. There was a giant 4 faced 50's one on top of the market seen from everywhere. Brum mut have had too?
Also turnstiles. There were some erected in Cov some years ago one to lock off a passage after a certain hour at night which was infuriating when I had to work late as I always missed my 'bus doing a detour. I hate turnstiles we used to call the works entrance one the cattle crush and mooed whilst passing through.

Regarding the slats on the front of trams, I've been doing some searching and apparently they were know as lifeguards - they are mentioned in the 'Birmingham Trams' thread but not how they operated. I spotted this information in another city's tram information ...

'In 1902, it was decided to fit all trams with “Tideswell Lifeguards” to make the trams safer. Lifeguards are attached under the ends of the tram, and each consists of a gate that is pushed back by anything large that is in the way of the tram, activating a tray which descends to catch the object or person before they go under the wheels.'

I did not realise that when the front slats are pushed back a tray drops down to catch the person - clever !!

Not long been home, but decided to read the mail here whilst having a cuppa and cake.

Thanks Old Mohawk for your research: yes, indeed lifeguards it is and folks were quite clever in the past despite not having computers to do a lot of the thinking for them. :biggrin:
The so called 'cowcatcher' on locomotives is often known as the pilot or plough/plow (if of solid appearance).

Not seen anything on modern trams that do the same job of clearing an obstruction away from the wheels, but expect there must be a similar safety feature built in.

Nico, street clocks must bring back many memories for a lot of people. This one on Corporation Street does just that for me. Memories of waiting for the #29 or 29a bus (later 90 and 91) at the bus stop opposite C&A. Keeping an eye on the junction with New Street hoping to see my bus turn onto Corporation Street from its previous stop outside New Street Odeon. The anxiety of finding the bus full and having to wait for the next one. Just itching to get home to try on that new piece of clothing from Oasis, C&A, Chelsea Girl, Bus Stop or Crowthers. Rushing onto the top deck for a fag and an appraisal of the new clothes in my carrier bags. The rest of the journey spent thinking about getting ready to go back to town for a night out in the new clothes you'd just bought. Aaaaah life was so simple then.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390603870.998916.jpg

The fountain that sticks in my mind is the one in Fountain Court, Steelhouse Lane. I worked there in an office which looked out onto the courtyard and fountain. A very calming place to work. Wonderful in the summer with the sound of cascading water always in the background. But very rarely did you see any people pass or stop near that fountain. Looked good, but seemed to serve no other purpose than just ornamental. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390603921.816456.jpg

This is from the South Birmingham Shops, Pubs and Garages thread. Before petrol stations petrol pumps on the pavement were a common sight. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390744713.386945.jpg

Thanks Viv,
I used to pass that place often, it's near the junction of Barnsley Rd. with Hagley Rd. The attendants used to sit in that little "office".
rosie.

Thanks Rosie. Looks like a car showroom. Wondering if these places employed someone to fill up customer tanks. Viv.

I used to live at 14 Birchfield Rd, they were all large Victorian double fronted houses, next door at 16 was Hunters Garage and the front garden had been equipped with petrol pumps and you stopped on the main road to get filled up by the attendant. Years ago I did see a picture of Hunters in a book but can't trace one now anyone got a photo?

Hi Paul. Was there no garage, just pumps in the front garden. That stretch of road became very busy, so someone must have seen an opportunity there I think! Hope someone can find a picture of it Paul. viv.

My bedroom overlooked the rear of Hunters, it had a large workshop, with ramps etc at the top of what had been the garden, and a large parking area for vehicles awaiting work and several lock up garages one of which my father rented, I used to sit on his lap and steer the car into there. Access was via a wide drive in between 14 & 16, that was big enough to allow access to the storage tanks by what were by the standards of the day large articulated petrol tankers. Through my window I used to watch them fill the storage tanks, from the red and green Shell/BP tankers, usually the tractor unit was a Leyland Comet. This is all indelibly etched in my memory as it was virtually all I had to do most days, I always say that living there, along with my father being a lorry driver gave me a lifelong interest in cars and road transport.

And just one more thing, from the front up stairs window I watched the tram tracks being torn up and the road resurfaced :biggrin:

Back