• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Street furniture

pretty sure i know who that lady is phil and i have used that phone box many times which was almost opposite the sally army in nursery road...the houses you see in the terrace were on dads window cleaning round..phone box now removed

lyn

in 86 there was a chap in solihull who had loads in his field. and said bt had to buy one back now and again.
there was one in the pub on aston cross. and there is one in the tat yard by be

Last edited:
thanks bill i remember seeing that clip its amazing what such a small space can be used for and a noval way to ensure the great british phone box does not disappear forever:)

alan i think i best start saving for one now then:D

lyn
were was that place

Last edited:
Everything worked and worked well Phil , the streets were really clean too, bus's ran regularly and were in the main on time, and inexpensive.Paul
The Bridge Inn in Monument Road in 1959 with some unusually placed street furniture. Instead of being against the wall that bench looks rather close to the road, and a Bundy Clock usually near kerbs is against the wall. The cast iron urinal has it's own gas lamp which was useful. I suppose it all made sense.

index.php
yes very handy. i notice the wall back of the clock is railway brickwork,is there a line there. that bloke was saying to him sitting "were did you get that hat"

HI LLoyd
do you remember the old type gas light where a chap on a bike would come around the streets lighting up the lights at a certain time also do you ever recall him coming around with his big stick to snubb them out even up terraces and back yards where ever there was one
best wishes astonian
yes alan mate i di ta

Last edited:
Viv, I was confused by the end of the last sentence 'traffic virtually has the right of way'. No wonder the public didn't know - either it did or it didn't, if you see what I mean.

Amongst the street furniture would be the sign posts.

This one at the New Inns Handsworth pointed the way to Smethwick and Birmingham2401845.jpg

Edit. Unfortunately the image in the link below is no longer available.

They are installing a new Information Totem in Centenary Square today and because I am a nosy bleeder I had to have a look, the first thing to note is that the information is about three years of date, small things like telling me how to get The House of Sport (demolished a couple of years ago)
Where I an go see the Golden Boys (moved a couple of years ago)
How to get to the Paradise Forum (Demolished some time back)
it is full of stuff like that,

Now I have to assume that this is a old Totem that has been taken out of stock and that new information glass be soon be added unless of Course a mistake has been made this is the at present out of date Information Totem

Last edited by a moderator:
How strange. I’m all for keeping history alive but this is odd. Visitors are already confused about finding their way around Brum. Maybe it’s part of a mystery trail ie the featured points of interest no longer exist or are in the wrong place !!! Ha ha. Viv.

Or. a municipal faux pas. :laughing: Oh! well, the citizens are paying for it!!

I did chose my words. Forum rules bar under thirteens from joining, but that does not mean they cannot view BHF.

How strange. I’m all for keeping history alive but this is odd. Visitors are already confused about findin their way around Brum. Maybe it’s part of a mystery trail ie the featured points of interest no longer exist or are in the wrong place !!! Ha ha. Viv.

actually viv i think we should follow the new totem directions...we may be able to find our way then lol...seriously though if the council dont know where they are what chance have we got:worried:

lyn

Back