• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Street furniture

I hope they have done their logistics homework. Ventures like this usually end up costing more £££ than new!
FYI, I watched the trade show highlights/updates a couple of times specifically to look for this. I did not see. The show was focused on cars and controls for cars via computers. Both EV and ICE vehicles.
Hertz rental car has announced the sale of its 2,000 EVs because customers don’t want to deal with them.

Did these become widespread ?

Source : British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240121_161433_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240121_161433_Chrome.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 15
This photo of the Greenway Arms, Small Heath has captured a nice selection of street furniture, some pieces now completely disappeared from streets. A tram pole with lamps attached, a police box, a horse trough, a heavy duty bollard and a pillar box, all in one scene ! Must have once been an important junction.

Screenshot_20240225_194725_Chrome.jpg

A nice cluster of bollards and street lamp alongside St Paul's churchyard- captured in late 1960 by Phyllis Nicklin. Quite a contrast between the old lamp post and the newer one (1950'/60s) behind it. Interestingly, the 1960s lamp has been replaced with a more victorian style lamp (as have others along Ludgate Hill), and the replacement has a litter box attached ! Additional bollards, replicating those at the entrance to St Paul's, have been added at the junction with Ludgate Hill. Very well considered modern improvements.
Screenshot_20240324_094428_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240324_094537_Maps.jpgScreenshot_20240328_113035_Maps.jpg

A nice cluster of bollards and street lamp alongside St Paul's churchyard- captured in late 1960 by Phyllis Nicklin. Quite a contrast between the old lamp post and the newer one (1950'/60s) behind it. Interestingly, the 1960s lamp has been replaced with a more victorian style lamp (as have others along Ludgate Hill), and the replacement has a litter box attached ! Additional bollards, replicating those at the entrance to St Paul's, have been added at the junction with Ludgate Hill. Very well considered modern improvements.
View attachment 190275View attachment 190276View attachment 190277
Very very nice! What a wonderful look!

This photo of the Greenway Arms, Small Heath has captured a nice selection of street furniture, some pieces now completely disappeared from streets. A tram pole with lamps attached, a police box, a horse trough, a heavy duty bollard and a pillar box, all in one scene ! Must have once been an important junction.

View attachment 189436
I well remember the horse trough at the junction of Cattell Rd and Coventry Rd.It was made of granite stone and must have been a welcome site for horses that toiled up Kingston Hill from the city centre.

Was Cattel a famous Brummie? I ask as I worked with a Joyce Cattel. Never heard it before or since. We never saw it written down we thought it was Kettle made to sound posh, like Mrs Bucket.

Traffic lights on the Zig-Zag bridge Perry Barr in the 1930s (while traffic still used the bridge before the building of the new bridge alongside). I like the explanations of the different coloured lights "Stop" and "Go" - in case you couldn't remember which was which !

Screenshot_20240125_200832_Chrome.jpg

Traffic control signals, with the three colours, appear to have been in the UK since the 1930's.
Many of us remember having to memorize the hand signals of yesteryear. I don't have a car anymore.

Back