• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Street furniture

oldMohawk - I think the island at Witton is a horror. People are nudging around, trying to get in front and then along comes a bus, or two. As you say, huge delivery lorries are trying to negotiate their way to Tesco too. I also think that the lanes have been designated by someone with a warped sense of humour.
Going back to the one in Erdington - I wonder how long that's been there? If it's any length of time I can't believe that I haven't collided with it. I seem to do so with most things and, as you say, this is quite a hazard.

I guess you would only ever drive over one of those on one occasion. :eek: Any sensible driver would give them a wide berth in the future.

Yes, I do recall the dames the dust carts were doing to the kerbs and pavements on some of the housing estates when they cut the corner. I would assume that they are there to protect pedestrians too

Unusual item of street furniture on the corner of Navigation Street and Hill Street. It seems an elaborate structure to support a CCTV camera but it also appears to have ventilation grills as marked. Is it hollow and needs ventilation ?
Image1.jpg
A screenshot of the corner shown below (linked from another forum post)
index.php

Unusual item of street furniture on the corner of Navigation Street and Hill Street. It seems an elaborate structure to support a CCTV camera but it also appears to have ventilation grills as marked. Is it hollow and needs ventilation ?
View attachment 120469
A screenshot of the corner shown below (linked from another forum post)
index.php
and NASA said there was no lifr on Mars after all.

Bob

A curious item; Google street did not allow enough magnification to read the sign on it. There are a couple of other interesting items on the pavements close by. There is a square (concrete?) obelisk, appearing to be about 10ft. tall and a sculpture of a man upon it.

A curious item; Google street did not allow enough magnification to read the sign on it. There are a couple of other interesting items on the pavements close by. There is a square (concrete?) obelisk, appearing to be about 10ft. tall and a sculpture of a man upon it.
The signs have arrows pointing to the 'Mailbox'. Perhaps the structure has electrical equipment inside connected to the camera which might be 'ANPR' monitoring the 20 mph speed limit. Google tells me that the concrete public art is a 'sculpture by Lea Grandjean at the top of John Bright Street near the Orion Building' but does not say what it represents. It looks clean and tidy around there.
124659000_iOS.jpg

Stitcher posted this on the 'See Birmingham by Postcard' thread. Not only does it show a good range of street furniture in the 1960s, but at this time there was a plaque on the Five Ways island marking the site King Edwards School. Is the plaque still there ? Viv.

image.jpeg

8351-6183-MA.jpg

This, I gather, is the plaque but I cannot verify if it is still there. There is a blog on 2012 which states it was there then.

Not sure if this photo counts as street furniture but it was such a lovely old 'door within a door' that I took a picture this morning. Nearly got run over in the process as I was standing in the middle of Northwood Street and the boy-racers were out. Sorry it's sideways - I've just put some on another thread and they're upside down. Hoping someone can right it for me please?

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
nice photo pen...i love those old doors with the little doors in them...you really must be careful...you are doing what i have done many times..nearly getting run over..cant help it..i just aim the camera totally oblivious to whats going on around me:D

Thank you everyone. I'm going to try holding the phone up the other way although what to do about the sideways ones I don't know.

Lyn, I totally agree, must stop leaping in the road - we went to the Jewellery Qtr and you can tell Christmas is coming already. Parking is usually OK on a Sunday but not yesterday.

Hi Lady P. I don't use an iPhone, but if the camera works like that on an iPad, you need to have the phone in the position where the button (which brings up the screen) is at the bottom for portrait or the button is to the right if it's landscape. Not sure if this is clear, but hope it is. Viv.

Back