• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

stratford st north off Camp Hill

Roy59

proper brummie kid
Hi,
I lived in Stratford St North, there was a yard on the left just as you passed the bridge when walking down from Camp Hill. I have no photos of the "yard" and cannot find any.
My parents, Bill and Norma Edwards lived there, Bill Edwards was born there.He had a sister Kath and two brothers Eric and Tommy. If you remember them I would love to hear from you.
I went to Holy Trinity Infant School by the side of the church, once again I have no photos. I lived in the yard until we moved out in about 1966.
I remember a few names Mobbs, Higgins, Groves.
My parents are both now gone but I would love a photo of the yard as it has now sadly gone and is replaced by a factory.

Hi Roy

If you take a look here

https://www.pbase.com/beppuu/pnicklin

It is a collection of colour slides by Phylis Nicklin, near the bottom of the page there are a couple of photos of Stratford St North one is a "Yard" it may be the back court you are after.

Phil

Thanks for your reply, I have already seen these there was another opening up by the bridge that I cannot find, but thanks again anyway. All info graetly appreciated.
Roy.

Phil
It certainly seems to fit the yard on the 1889 map, though the layout of the yard itself seems to have altered a little. the photo would have been taken from the red mark
mike

stratford_st_north_yard_map_c_1889A.jpg

Hello Roy,

I don't remember your parents, but I certainly remember the bridge in Stratford St North.

We used to play football in the street there and we'd use the bridge arches on as goals.

I had some mates who lived in a row of houses overlooking the railway line.
I don't know if this is the yard you are thinking of. It isn't the yard that mikejee has marked on his map.
The yard I'm thinking ran right next to the railway embankment.

We used to climb over a tall wooden fence (upright railway sleepers?) to get from the yard on to the railway embankment.
We also used to swing on a gas street lamp that stood right next to the fence.
I think my 2 best mates were brothers named Kenny and Jimmy Wilkes.
This would be about 50 years ago when I was about 12.

Sparky

Hi,
I remember my dad talking about jimmy wilkes, there was also Brian Miller, who i think lived in sampson St? Yes the yard I refer to was just after the bridge and we lived in the end house. There was also a woman I vaguely remember called Peggy?

Hello again Sparky,
Tommy was about your age, and he was and as far as I know still is good mates with Jimmy and Kenny Wilkes, I can just about remember them.Didnt they live by the opening marked on the map?Tommy now lives in Spain. Its all a little vague as I was only about 7 when we moved, but i can remember going up the railway bank, dad would have gone mad, with older friend, Michael Higgins, he had an elder brother Martin. We also played football in the street in front of the bridge, about 1965 ish.
i can also remember bonfire nights on the waste ground at the rear/ front of the houses as I think a lot of the houses had been knocked down. I think it was Doris from the bakers at the bottom of the road that supplied cakes etc.
Roy.

Hello Roy,

I always called for the Wilkes brothers at the door nearest the embankment, which may have been the back door.
The yard marked on the map might have been the access to their front door.

My family moved from the area in about 1962, so I don't think I would have met up with you.

I seem to remember a lad named Colin who had an older sister called Barbara? They also lived in that row of houses.
At the end of the yard (furthest from street) on the railway embankment, I remember a brick built air raid shelter which we used to play in.

I can almost taste the eccles cakes now that we used to get from A W Taylor bakers where Doris worked!

Happy Days!

Sparky

Sprky,
Thanks for telling me what you remember, hopefully there are others out there as well, really appreciate your response, if anyone else can add any further info or remembers my family please drop a note on here. If anyone has any photos of the areas discussed please post them as they woulds be invaluable to me.
Thanks again,
Roy.,

Thanks very much for posting these, I have been back there a few times, hard to visualise what I can remember.
Thanks again,
Roy.

Hi,
Yes unfortumately I have seen this one before, but appreciate your effort. I think my only chance is if someone that lived there were to read this and have some snaps. i will keep trying.
Thanks again.
Roy.

Apologies for delay in gettingback, have not been on site for awhile, i think you forgot to load the link.
Regards,
Roy.

Back