• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stratford Road

Alan you could be right as the shops to the right beyond where I chopped off the picture are different. Possibly they were rebuilt.

Thanks for all your help. First photo was definitely on the Stratford Road and it looks as if the second one was as well. I left Birmingham in 1967 but have been back fairly frequently. Found these photos when I was clearing out a cupboard. They were taken in 1987. I lived near the Stratford Road in Sarehole Road. Nearest points would have been Hall Green Parade or the College Arms. Do we know the original name of the church in photo 1? Dave

Will check but it was definitely opposite English Martyrs School.
Up the road from Hall Green Parade and after Sparkhill Park and Baths.
My brain wants to say "Presbyterian" but that could be wrong.

In 1987 Britain suffered the Great Storm famously not predicted by Michael Fish. Some damage was done in Brum as in other parts of the country.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/michael-fish-hurricane-blunder-27-7941308
Perhaps the damage to the shops was caused by the storm and that is the reason for the photo.

That's a possibility I had not considered. Sparkbrook, not far away, was badly hit it is reported, as was Moseley and Kings Heath.
That event in 1987 saw me out in it, checking overturned vehicles and dangerous structures in the Torbay area. The major problem was radio contact was not available for some while, until moblle vehicles were sent to higher ground to act as control points. Days later, in many quite rural and hard to reach areas, access was difficult due to the number of fallen trees, shallow rooted pines along the coastal areas were particularly vulnerble.

Janice,

I see that the furnishing shop that was once the Springfield Cinema on the corner of Solihull Road is empty again. It's getting difficult to recognise anywhere along there since I lived their in the 1940s - not surpriningly!

Maurice :cool:

I thought it looked a bit empty last time I saw it. Traffic moves quite quickly there so didnt look much.
The church/restaurant opposite badly burnt in a fire a couple of weeks ago. It was being refurbished ready to re-open.

Janice,

You mean the former Congregational Church, which was a listed building and has a thread on BHF. I thought that was converted to a community centre or something. Springfield Cinema building has a lease for sale board outside.

Maurice :cool:

The church became an Asian (sorry to be vague but I am not sure exactly what cuisine they served) restaurant. Then the owners changed it to a banqueting venue for weddings and celebrations. I gather it was going back to a restaurant after requests from former customers. I will try to find the newspaper article.

Will check but it was definitely opposite English Martyrs School.
Up the road from Hall Green Parade and after Sparkhill Park and Baths.
My brain wants to say "Presbyterian" but that could be wrong.
I have checked and all it puts on maps and in Kelly's is "Church of Christ".

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for all your help. First photo was definitely on the Stratford Road and it looks as if the second one was as well. I left Birmingham in 1967 but have been back fairly frequently. Found these photos when I was clearing out a cupboard. They were taken in 1987. I lived near the Stratford Road in Sarehole Road. Nearest points would have been Hall Green Parade or the College Arms. Do we know the original name of the church in photo 1? Dave
Church of Christ

church of christ.JPG

Another view of the bridge over the River Cole on the Stratford Road, opened in 1914 it is still known by the name " the New Bridge" because I suppose it is the latest of several.

View attachment 127240

I took some new photos of the Stratford Road Bridge from the Greet Mill Meadow while on my daily walk on lockdown. This was before going into the Blackberry Way.

Saw a rat.

No bill posting.

Plaque

Took these after coming back from the Blackberry Way.

Back